Advice please!

sandytoes03

Hey everyone-

I knew I could post this question to my CC friends because you all have always been so helpful.:)

I hope this question doesn't seem silly or stupid. :o My DH and I are hoping to start a family soon, but would like to take one more cruise before doing so. I have to take vacations when schools are out since I work in a school--so we are looking at this summer. Is it a bad idea to book a cruise when we are trying to have a child? Is it a bad idea to fly? My fear is that I might not be feeling well, but we will have already booked a cruise. Or, I might be fine . . . Just not sure what to do. Anyone have any advice??

Thank you!

The only thing that really matters, in terms of vacationing and trying to conceive, is knowing your ovulation window! :D

Even if your window does not fall during your trip, practice, practice, practice!!!:D

I would say, get good travel insurance, and then book whatever you want. Chances are you'll be fine. And if not, that's what the insurance is for. IMHO it's not a good idea to put your life on hold for something you can't control. What if it takes 3 years to conceive? What if you get pregnant next week? What if you have medical complications? Or everything goes swimmingly but you missed a great opportunity because of what *might* have happened? You can't know ahead of time. Just make the best plans you can, and change as necessary.

On a *slightly* different subject, IME the best time to travel is the second trimester. The first will likely have you sick and tired, and by the third you can be pretty uncomfortable and not up to a lot of running around. Also, cruise & air lines have rules as to how late in your pregnancy you can travel. Good luck and enjoy your couple time!

Karen

I would say, get good travel insurance, and then book whatever you want. Chances are you'll be fine. And if not, that's what the insurance is for. IMHO it's not a good idea to put your life on hold for something you can't control. What if it takes 3 years to conceive? What if you get pregnant next week? What if you have medical complications? Or everything goes swimmingly but you missed a great opportunity because of what *might* have happened? You can't know ahead of time. Just make the best plans you can, and change as necessary.

On a *slightly* different subject, IME the best time to travel is the second trimester. The first will likely have you sick and tired, and by the third you can be pretty uncomfortable and not up to a lot of running around. Also, cruise & air lines have rules as to how late in your pregnancy you can travel. Good luck and enjoy your couple time!

Karen

Thanks for the advice! You make good sense. We've never bought travel insurance, so this will be a good time to do so.

We're in a slightly different situation - DH and I are looking at our October cruise as our "last hurrah" and will probably be throwing caution to the wind either on the cruise or afterwards. ;) We know that once a baby arrives we likely won't be taking a cruise or any other sort of vacation for quite a while.

My vaccinations are up to date (one thing to think about - I know when I got the typhoid vaccine at the travel clinic I was told not to get pregnant for at least one cycle afterwards). I'm reasonably healthy. I won't be taking anti-malarial medication. There's really no reason for us NOT to try on the cruise if it falls within the correct time window. And we figure the "practicing" will be fun regardless!

You have no way of knowing how long it may take to get pregnant - it could be the first try or it could take years. You might as well enjoy traveling in the interim.

The reason we won't be trying beforehand is that I sure enjoy those Drinks of the Day, and I don't want to even think of dealing with morning sickness while on a boat. :D

FWIW, I've known several women who've gone on cruises in early pregnancy and they were fine. I also know several couples who've gone on a cruise babymoon at around 22 weeks, before the cruise line's cutoff.

Archived