Difference between Love Boat Show and Sailing Now

vickie_bernie

After reading the Captain Stubbing posts I had to go out and get the First Would love to hear what you think some of the differences are. Or what is still the same.

No babies back then.......no drunks.......and I didn't see many fat people on Cpt Stubbings ships.

I see lots of babies, drunks and fat people now....;)

In the show, the cabins were all huge, owner's suite size. I thought that they really were that size, and when people said staterooms are tiny, I thought they meant the size of the ones on the show. When I entered my first real stateroom, I couldn't stop laughing!

Those were not ship staterooms....:rolleyes: they were TV sets. ;)

...or Charo onboard nowadays (c'mon' date=' you knew someone was gonna mention that).[/quote']

Here I was just surfing along reading the posts..... and this "memory:eek:,:p" gets slammed in my face. I was doing just fine forgetting about that part of it......

(now that vision will be rerun throughout the day..... it's gonna be a long day....)

II know I have told the story before, so those that have heard it before feel free to skip my post .... I just love telling our "how we met story"...

You may have "told" it before, but I don't recall reading it, and I think it is one of the greatest cruising stories I've ever heard. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing it again!

On the Love Boat, single people were assigned roommates.

I've not heard of them doing that anymore... do they?

I don't think they do it anymore. I know they use to. When I first started sailing in 1989 we went as a large group and some had roommates assigned by the ship, this was with Carnival, don't know if other lines did it.

I don't think they do it anymore. I know they use to. When I first started sailing in 1989 we went as a large group and some had roommates assigned by the ship, this was with Carnival, don't know if other lines did it.

i loved golpher too... he was hot, in that boy next door style.

Difference and similarities I've just remembered

-decks have some of the same names as they do now... Aloha, Caribe and Promenade

-many passengers seemed to call home from the ship.... wow what did it costs back then to call home

-the dining room was so small... and it looks like anytime dining

-passengers paid for drinks in cash (did that happen, before my time)

-no soda card

-the hallways outside the cabins are so wide

-last episode on the first season shows the galley and it was so small

-no visible security personnel

I recently cruised on MV DIscovery, which was the Island Princess, sister ship to Pacific Princess "THE Love Boat." I took a galley tour. TINY compared to the galley on Coral Princess, which I toured a few years ago!!

I am still friends today with a few of my assigned room-mates from the early 70's. Good times. One lady who shared our cabin for 6 in 1971 was actually on her honeymoon. The groom shared a cabin with 5 strange men. They couldn't afford a cabin for two. Every afternoon we would give the newlyweds a few hours alone in our cabin.

Too bad singles can't share assigned cabins today. Not everyone has an available traveling companion.

I'm sure that we can find a bazillion differences between the original Love Boat and the current cruise ship. Originally we had the good fortune of literary creativity and some license to produce the "Love Boat" ambiance which captivated us so.

For some, the TV series provided a stimulus to try the experience of cruising. Cruising with its romantic flair, being made to feel special, getting a chance to dress up, the aura of being at sea and being able to visit exotic ports of call.

We fell in love with all those great aspects of cruising and we still cruise today to enjoy those very same experiences - even though there is a growing number of fellow passengers that tend to treat the ship as a floating bus (or worse) that try to ruin all that.

It's still one of the best romantic and exciting venues for a vacation or just getting away from it all. All the neat things about the "Love Boat" are still there - maybe packaged a little different - but you have to look for them.

[quote name='burm']I am still friends today with a few of my assigned room-mates from the early 70's. Good times. One lady who shared our cabin for 6 in 1971 was actually on her honeymoon. The groom shared a cabin with 5 strange men. [B][COLOR=red]They couldn't afford a cabin for two. Every afternoon we would give the newlyweds a few hours alone in our cabin.[/COLOR][/B]

Too bad singles can't share assigned cabins today. Not everyone has an available traveling companion.[/quote]
Gee.... in that case I would have bagged the cruise.....

I would have taken a road trip and stayed in hotels. ;) ................o'yeah.... that's right.....that's what we did :D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]First off, this thread is hysterical. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4b0082]About the "big send off" that you saw on the show. A funny story that I didnt know until I got off my first ever cruise about 10 years ago. My father told me after that he drove up to Port Canaveral to see my ship off the day I left thinking that there must be somekind of send off. He was so disappointed when he was the only person waving at a ship. :) [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4b0082]It would be fun if they did that, but with a million ships leaving a day it would probably get a bit monotonous.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4b0082]The thing I remember most about the show when I was a kid was saying "Puerto Vallarta" I didnt even know it was a real place...it always sounded fun.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I tried to insert a photo of myself leaving Australia in 1971 on the Angelina Lauro - all covered in streamers! I had worked there for a year and half of Bondi Beach showed up to send me off in style. One fellow showed up late and I ran off the ship to meet him half way on the gangway just before they pulled it away. As we hugged good-bye hundreds of people cheered. What a farewell! I cried all the way to South Africa.

[quote name='KLLund']I don't recall any speedos or chair hogs !![/quote]

You are right about the Speedos, although there were some skimpy swim attire, but definitely no thongs worn by great-grandmothers.

We just ordered the 1st season DVDs from Netflix so we'll be ready to add some more stuff after we get our fix.

[quote name='vickie_bernie']i loved golpher too... he was hot, in that boy next door style.

In 1995, I had the Privilege of giving the then CEO of Goodwill Industries of American a tour of our Local Goodwill... And it was Fred Grandy who played Gopher...He is a Harvard grad and had been a representative in Congress from the State of Iowa. He was bright and charming just like he was on "the Love Boat.." ( I was told in advance not to bring up " the Love Boat.." but he did and we talked about what a marketing tool it was for the cruise industry just like Goodwill is for People with Disabilities...) :o

[quote name='Grego']You are right about the Speedos, although there were some skimpy swim attire, but definitely no thongs worn by great-grandmothers.[/quote]
I went to Europe as a teenager in the sixties. What an eye opener for me. :eek: ... even grandmothers were wearing string bikinis. They were way ahead (and still are) of us Americans. ;)

Archived