Scared Of Jamaica? Please Read!!!

Frank12

I have read a lot of negative things about Jamaica on these boards. I just returned and had a fantastic time. Due to rules of the boards, I cannot recommend anyone unless you ask me to, but I highly recommend you go with a reputable guide.

Our tour started with a trip to Dunn's River Falls. BEST SHORE EXCURSION EVER!! Our tour guide made sure that the Fall's guides gave us special treatment. He gave us advice on how to not be influenced by the local vendors. He also stayed with members of our group who chose not to climb the falls the entire time we were climbing.

He then took us into the market in town and went with us to the stores. He helped us bargain for the best prices on local goods including Blue Mountain Coffee. We never felt in danger, we were never offered drugs, and we had a great time. I would recommend this tour to everyone. This tour was also a little cheaper than some recommended on this site - only $35.00pp. As stated above, I can only recommend a guide by name if someone asks... so please ask....He was FANTASTIC!!

Good to hear. We have always enjoyed our visits to Jamaica. I take it you went to Ocho Rios. We're not headed to Jamaica in the immediate future, but let me go ahead and ask.... Who was your guide?

Mike

Mark Morris. I believe his website is markstours.com. If that is wrong, I'm sure you can google him. He was great. Our tour was 35.00 pp which included the 10.00 admission into the falls. I tipped the falls guide 5.00 because he was really good. Mark said 3 or 4 bucks pp is acceptable.

I also tipped Mark 20.00 for the wife and I for doing such a great job.

I have read a lot of negative things about Jamaica on these boards. I just returned and had a fantastic time. Due to rules of the boards, I cannot recommend anyone unless you ask me to, but I highly recommend you go with a reputable guide.

Our tour started with a trip to Dunn's River Falls. BEST SHORE EXCURSION EVER!! Our tour guide made sure that the Fall's guides gave us special treatment. He gave us advice on how to not be influenced by the local vendors. He also stayed with members of our group who chose not to climb the falls the entire time we were climbing.

He then took us into the market in town and went with us to the stores. He helped us bargain for the best prices on local goods including Blue Mountain Coffee. We never felt in danger, we were never offered drugs, and we had a great time. I would recommend this tour to everyone. This tour was also a little cheaper than some recommended on this site - only $35.00pp. As stated above, I can only recommend a guide by name if someone asks... so please ask....He was FANTASTIC!!

Glad you decided to give JA a try and were not influenced by the few bad experiences on the boards. We're not at all surprised you had a fantastic time. Thanks for posting!

Mark Morris. I believe his website is markstours.com. If that is wrong, I'm sure you can google him. He was great. Our tour was 35.00 pp which included the 10.00 admission into the falls. I tipped the falls guide 5.00 because he was really good. Mark said 3 or 4 bucks pp is acceptable.

I also tipped Mark 20.00 for the wife and I for doing such a great job.

What time is the tour? And how long does it last? Looks like just what we are looking for....TIA :)

What time is the tour? And how long does it last? Looks like just what we are looking for....TIA :)

He picks you up 1 hour after your boat arrives in port. When you get off the ship tell the staff at the peir you are looking for Mark and they will call him on his cell-phone.

The tour lasts as long as you want it to. He lets it up to you. We got picked up at 8:45 and were back on the ship by 12:45. He offered to take us to get some authentic Jamaican food, but we opted to eat on the ship.

Is this tour a 'private' tour with just your group and a driver?

... or is there a large group in one van or bus?

... or are there several vehicles all going to the same place in a convoy?

Thanks for your info!

It depends on the size of your group. There is 1 large air conditioned van - not a convoy of vehicles like a ship's tour. My group only had 4 people so he booked one other couple to come with us. There were 6 total.

Don't worry, Mark will accomodate everyone and their wishes.

Is this tour a 'private' tour with just your group and a driver?

... or is there a large group in one van or bus?

... or are there several vehicles all going to the same place in a convoy?

Thanks for your info!

It depends on the size of your group. There is 1 large air conditioned van - not a convoy of vehicles like a ship's tour. My group only had 4 people so he booked one other couple to come with us. There were 6 total.

Don't worry, Mark will accomodate everyone and their wishes.

I am so glad to see you post this! We enjoy Ocho Rios also and we go with a different tour guide whom we use over and over because we enjoy him so much.

We have never been fearful or scared in Jamaica and enjoyed it each time we have gone and we have always climbed the falls!

Thanks for your positive post!

We actually had a great time in OR also and it kills me to hear ppl being so fearful. I went just little old me and my 13 y/o DD and we had a blast. I think it's what you make of it, we were friendly and outgoing but not stupid and I had some great conversations with the native ppl, learned a lot and showed them RESPECT. Aside from obviously wanting your money, they want respect. We had a blast on the falls, a blast in the markets and we didn't even do a private tour, we went with the ship's tour. Our day in Jamaica was flawless but I can only imagine that it would have been even more fun with a private tour.

Glad to read about other's enjoying OR as well instead of reading all the negativity that you see so much of.

Just 10 days until we fly to Jamaica for a visit at Sandals. We have been to Jamaica 3 times on a cruise ship, and can't wait to visit for longer.

We got lucky when we visited MoBay for the first time. We didn't take a tour, just got dropped off at the shopping center where everyone was horrible, rude, aggressive. We took off down a street, and everyone was yelling at us not to go, it wasn't safe.

We did it anyway. We ended up with a young man following us, and we basically told him to shove off..."we don't have any money." Long story short, he started talking about the history of the island, and said that tourism is their most important resource. We ended up spending the day with him, he called his friend an hour later and he drove us all over.

We spent the day with the locals, and ended our day at an orphanage where our driver, "come to on weekends to fix tings and hold the children."

Whe we got back to the ship, and people asked what we did...they said they wish that they had experienced such a wonderful day. We had to go looking for it...it didn't just jump up and hit us in the head.

Just 10 days until we fly to Jamaica for a visit at Sandals. We have been to Jamaica 3 times on a cruise ship, and can't wait to visit for longer.

We got lucky when we visited MoBay for the first time. We didn't take a tour, just got dropped off at the shopping center where everyone was horrible, rude, aggressive. We took off down a street, and everyone was yelling at us not to go, it wasn't safe.

We did it anyway. We ended up with a young man following us, and we basically told him to shove off..."we don't have any money." Long story short, he started talking about the history of the island, and said that tourism is their most important resource. We ended up spending the day with him, he called his friend an hour later and he drove us all over.

We spent the day with the locals, and ended our day at an orphanage where our driver, "come to on weekends to fix tings and hold the children."

Whe we got back to the ship, and people asked what we did...they said they wish that they had experienced such a wonderful day. We had to go looking for it...it didn't just jump up and hit us in the head.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. We met a wonderful Jamaican on one of our family land vacations to Negril. He became our personal tour guide during three of our trips. Which Sandal's are you staying at? The Negril resort is gorgeous! We have a few pics in our webshots album.

sorry to change subjects

RUCRUIZIN are you staying at sandals montego bay resort ? we have it booked for 9 days and would like a recent & objective review .

Just noticed in his signature that he is going to MoBay. If you get a chance spend a day on the West End. Totally different experience. Get a tour of Sandal's Negril and visit the cliffs at the southern end of "7-Mile" Beach.

Archived