port of call Dubrovnik and Ocean Village

delteach

:) Hi my wife and I are cruising with ocean village oct 2008 on the greek island cruise , could anyone tell us about the port of Dubrovnik we have never been near Croatia before and are unsure what to expect , have been told its beautiful but would like some first hand knowledge as to whether the town is close to the port and what there is to see and do close by or would it be better to take an oranised trip, Also if anybody has any views about Ocean Village as a cruise line not sailed with them before , regards :cool:

Dubrovnik is lovely, but beware if there are lots of other ships in port as the old walled city can become jammed. There will probably be a shuttle bus to the main gate (Pile Gate) in which case it is easy to walk the city on your own. You can also walk round the top of the city walls - well worth the climb for the views.

• 2 months later...
:) Hi my wife and I are cruising with ocean village oct 2008 on the greek island cruise , could anyone tell us about the port of Dubrovnik we have never been near Croatia before and are unsure what to expect , have been told its beautiful but would like some first hand knowledge as to whether the town is close to the port and what there is to see and do close by or would it be better to take an oranised trip, Also if anybody has any views about Ocean Village as a cruise line not sailed with them before , regards :cool:

Good advice on Dubrovnic. I sailed OV 1 in June. Like all ships it has good and could do better things. I liked the freedom from formal evenings. I really liked the modern style of entertainment and there is loads of it eg. the last live performance in the great 'village square' at 23.45 ! Huge cabins, great storage but dull and in need of refurbishment. good buffet but I liked the Bistro and La luna and they were worth the extra. Missed room service (breakfast) and second clear up by the cabin steward. However great atmosphere and plenty to do. Like ALL ships excursions are expensive but some quite unusual. Its a lovely itenery enjoy it, we did and are going for more in August.

i agree, Dubrovnik is great....just best to walk around yourselves...easy and cheap to do.

Ocean Village....i like it funnily enough. I enjoyed the alternative type entertainment, the moon show on deck, the circus type performers, the tours were different too which made a refreshing change. Quite a lot of tattooed flesh around the pool but that didnt bother me....simply have had a good time each time ive been.

Archived