formal or informal?

Carmen, what a fun dress!

I think you will know if it would work best for informal or formal night when you see it. It's so hard to tell from the photos. If it is silk chiffon, I would dress it up with accessories and wear it on formal night on most lines these days though on HAL or Celebrity I would wear it on informal nights or to the specialty restaurants.

If by "formal" you mean black tie or white tie, definitely not. For a cruise, though, not everyone wears a gown on formal nights. I think with the right accessories like a sparkly bag, a floaty wrap and some stilettos, it could work, especially on the more casual cruise lines. Because of the fabric and its ankle length, I sure wouldn't wear it to church or to any day event, so I think it qualifies in the cocktail dress category. :)

It's one of those great dresses you can dress up or down.

Would I wear it myself? I don't have the body type or coloring to carry off such a bold print (darn it) but I would envy someone else who was wearing it!

My next cruise is NCL, and since formal is 100% optional, we are opting out on this one. I know we'll be cruising again, so it would be either for future cruise to be named at a later date or to wear to a formal or semi-formal wedding or event here at home.

You certainly can decide to skip formal night on NCL but if you like to dress up, this dress would be perfect on NCL on ''Dress up (or not) Night''. If you are wearing that dress, your DH could wear a suit if he likes that, or a casual jacket, even just a dress shirt and you would both look great. While you won't see many real formal dress (floor length gowns), you will see plenty of cocktail dresses, informal dresses such as yours and other types of dressy outfits but, yes, there will also be people who choose to wear capris or slacks and polo shirts in the same dinning room.

I hope you will enjoy the Norwegian Spirit has much as I do.

What is it made out of? I have bought several maxi dresses from T-Bags, Sky, and Tricia Fix that are floor length but far from formal. I wear them as sundresses and bathing suit coverups.

silk chiffon

Carmen, what a fun dress!

I think you will know if it would work best for informal or formal night when you see it. It's so hard to tell from the photos. If it is silk chiffon, I would dress it up with accessories and wear it on formal night on most lines these days though on HAL or Celebrity I would wear it on informal nights or to the specialty restaurants.

The options of dressing it up and down are part of the reason it is so appealing. Well, that and the great colors and print!

since cruiseship formal is not "black tie" but "after 5" and suggestd wear includes cocktails dresses I say it can go for formal night or informal night.

I find the dress much too dressy for day wear to me-unless it is an afternoon wedding. You could still even wear it casual night though if you chose.

Sorry--had some medical stuff done and have been out of commission. It looks like the 50% coupon expired just days ago. I just got one for $25 off an order of $100 or more. It is WXP2134 and expires May 20. I know it's not as good as 50% off but it helps.:o

GORDONCHICK--Did you ever order the dress???:confused:

My plan is to go to the store tomorrow and see if they have it. On another thread, someone mentioned if it's a coral- pink, it would be completely wrong for me. I'm also holding out hope for a better % off since I have nothing in mind to wear this for.

I went to the mall, and our store doesn't have the dress. I can't remember if the dress is 50" or 52" long from the back of the neck, but they measured it on me and it would be just above my ankles. They had a top in the silk chiffon (Different pattern) and I liked it. But I cannot justify spending $140 on a dress that I don't even know where I'd where it.

If someone runs across a 40-50% off coupon code for Coldwater Creek, I'll order it anyway.

Archived