Norwegian Dream on Bermuda webcam

rge

Been watching the St.Georges webcam and it looks like the Dream is having trouble getting through the town cut. Winds are about 31 mph

Where is the Dawn? On the web cam (from ncl website) the time shows the location of the Dawn, in the morning!

On what website can we see the Dawn?

On NCL website, the webcam has stopped in the morning. Where did you take that picture?

It is the picture from the NCL site. You're right, they haven't updated since this morning.

The Dawn doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so there is nothing to see anyway except ocean.

I'm not aware of a webcam at Dockyard, so we'll just have to wait for NCL to start updating the webcams again.

Let's hope NOT! St. George's is a much better place to dock, a more quaint village with a more "historical" feel. It's too bad there will be no more NCL cruises out of Boston to St. George's after this season :( Opinions differ, I guess?

Indeed they do differ. St. Georges appears quaint but it's a hike from everything else though. St. Georges would be good for a day trip but it doesn't have enough to keep you going (or at least not from the 2 travel books I have). I'm sure there are plenty of places to go off and discover but one of the books goes on and on about Hamilton so if we dock there then I guess a bus ride to St. Georges would do or take the ferry to go exploring. Hamilton looks like a building city!

As a side note, my co-worker went to college with someone from Hamilton so maybe she'll be able to help me out with the city as she lives there! I guess opinions do differ but maybe this is a fluke. :cool:

Oh I so hope the hamilton docking is just a fluke. We specifically took this cruise because it docks in St. Georges (for the last time...so sad). I will be disappointed if we end up in Hamilton (although happy just to be in bermuda). Although Hamilton is okay I would much prefer the St. George's dock to be at during evening hours. I much prefer quiet St. George to loud Hamilton. Last time we were there we had plenty to do. In fact we still have lots we want to see this time we go back. Of course we will also probably go to hamilton for half a day or so but thats about it. I'm keeping my finger crossed that we will be docking in St. Georges.

Never fear! She is docked! :D

fullsize.jpg

Okay everybody ... I'm ending the speculation here!!

Dream IS docked at Hamilton - we passed her on Front Street and saw her across the harbour when we drove home from work on Harbour Road.

Dream is docked at No. 6 Shed which is still in use. In the picture above you see the berth in front and the pink building next to it - that is the No. 1 shed - it is closed and is earmarked for demolition within the next few months. That shed served as security and customs controls and without that building the ships cannot dock there to let the pax off unsecured and unchecked.

Weather-wise, it's BAD this week - we had severe torrential rains yesterday and it's very windy today - the sea is very choppy (good job Dawn is docked for the entire stay this week). If the weather remains like this, Dream will remain docked at Hamilton.

Majesty arrived in St. George's yesterday when it wasn't windy, and was able to go thru the narrow Town Cut. It wasn't the the case for Dream today.

I'm waiting for someone to complain they docked in the wrong port in Bermuda. :rolleyes:

That NCL ruin their cruise! :eek:

LOL .... it's Mother Nature! But it still would be interesting if ANYone would complain to NCL ...

Going to buy buns for hot dogs ... just in case ...

It looks looks they're still in Hamilton - has anyone heard from friends/relatives on the ship if they're ever going to move to St. George? It would be kind of nice to spend an overnight in Hamillton, but I wouldn't want to spend the whole port time there.

Good to know if there are high winds then they can't get through the town cut so more than likely we'll be docked in St. Georges next week. Either way I'm set with how to structure the vacation for next week. :)

Thanks bluesea for the information!

Electricron - I mean it would totally ruin my cruise if we docked in Hamilton! :p

Anyone know if the Dream is still in Hamilton? With the webcam down you can't tell.

Yes, Dream is still in Hamiltom. Bad weather coming this way - high winds, etc. Tonight's Harbour Nights in Hamilton was cancelled due to impending rain.

I feel so sorry for the cruisers on Dream, Dawn and Majesty for having picked this week for their Bermuda cruises.

We have been trying to go on a deep-sea fishing trip for the last 2 weekends and this weekend now looks shot again (like the web cameras!).

Ships are still able to dock at the Hamilton Pier. . . It is just that "Contract" ships are not scheduled to dock there.

The Contract ships are NCL Dream, NCL Dawn, NCL Majesty, Caribbean Princess, RCI Explorer, and RCI Grandeur. These ship are all scheduled to dock in St Georges, or the Dockyard)

Occasional callers (Azamara Journey, World, Island Star), etc. . .are scheduled to dock in Hamilton throughout the summer. . .

Occasional callers only visit Bermuda once or twice per year. . .

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here is a couple of pics form Bermuda. . .

Radio

Norwegian Dawn Bow Cam, from King's Wharf, Bermuda

NCLDAWNBOWCAM.jpg

NCL Dawn at the Dockyard in King's Wharf (Web Cam image is a little blurry)

NCLDAWN051508.jpg

Ships are still able to dock at the Hamilton Pier. . . It is just that "Contract" ships are not scheduled to dock there.

The Contract ships are NCL Dream, NCL Dawn, NCL Majesty, Caribbean Princess, RCI Explorer, and RCI Grandeur. These ship are all scheduled to dock in St Georges, or the Dockyard)

Occasional callers (Azamara Journey, World, Island Star), etc. . .are scheduled to dock in Hamilton throughout the summer. . .

Occasional callers only visit Bermuda once or twice per year. . .

Radio

I'll be clear about docking at Hamilton - Dream is about the largest ship that can dock at Hamilton and St. George's. Any ships larger than Dream cannot and the only place they can dock is King's Wharf.

We had plenty of regular callers to Hamilton in previous years: most noticably were Celebrity's Zenith and Horizon that graced Front Street for so many summers - until last year. Now they are gone from the cruise line.

Cruise Lines are getting rid of smaller ships to obtain very large ships and Bermuda ain't too happy.

bluesea77 - Come on now! You don't want a mega ship doubling the population there? I'm sure RCI would love to send their big boats your way... dredge!! :eek:

By natural design Bermuda isn't able to accomodate bigger ships - consider that a good thing. I dread ever being stuck in port with that behemoth from RCI (Genesis).

How reliable is the weather forecast from Bermuda online? Do you think the ship will be able to dock next Tuesday in St. Georges or Hamilton?

bluesea77 - Come on now! You don't want a mega ship doubling the population there? I'm sure RCI would love to send their big boats your way... dredge!! :eek:

By natural design Bermuda isn't able to accomodate bigger ships - consider that a good thing. I dread ever being stuck in port with that behemoth from RCI (Genesis).

How reliable is the weather forecast from Bermuda online? Do you think the ship will be able to dock next Tuesday in St. Georges or Hamilton?

I've posted this before, but look at the numbers of passengers this year vs last. Although the number of piers have or will decrease soon, and larger ships are sailing to Bermuda, the actually number of passengers is remaining approximately the same.

In prior years Bermuda had the ablity to accommodate:

two ships in St. George (~3,000 capacity),

two ships in Hamilton (~3,000 capacity), and

one ship in King's Wharf (3,500 capacity),

a total of ~9,500 passenger visitors.

Next year:

one ship in St. George (~1,500 capacity), and

two ships in King's Wharf (~7,000 capacity),

a total of ~8,500 passenger visitors.

So, although the cruise ships are getting much larger in size, the number of ships Bermuda can or will accept gets smaller, the number of passengers in Bermuda remains about the same.

Therefore, the impact to Bermuda's public infrastructure, private shops, and public beaches remains about the same.

I don't think Bermuda really cares how big the cruise ships get, they have planned well for the future, and will not get overran with tourists. I wish I could say the same for other Caribbean ports.

Here is a couple of pics form Bermuda. . .

Radio :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Norwegian Dawn Bow Cam, from King's Wharf, Bermuda

NCLDAWNBOWCAM.jpg

NCL Dawn at the Dockyard in King's Wharf (Web Cam image is a little blurry)

NCLDAWN051508.jpg

Note, it appears that the Dawn bow is pointing towards the southwest, with the starboard side next to the pier. Next week, it could be just the opposite. Many have suggested ships "always" dock with the port side next to the King's Wharf pier.

As you can see from these photos, that's not "always" true.

Not that it will make a difference for me as I leave next Sunday the 25th on the Dream. And I am just so excited about going, just wishing the days away. I just hope there are not too many negatives from this the 1st cruise. :)

Archived