Cinque Terre tours??

We're docking in Livorno and would like to do a Cinque Terre tour. I've heard the tours from the ship are fine, but am wondering if anyone has used a private tour for this area. If yes, who, how long, how much, and do you think it was better than the one from the ship? Has anyone done the Princess tour?

Do the tour- seriously. You can not replicate the ship's tour. First you take a bus to LaSpezia- then a ferry to the first town, then walk to the second town. Then back on the ferry to the third town. Then again on the ferry to the fourth town with plenty of time for lunch of pesto, olive oil and bread and white wine (their specialties). The tours skip Corniglia because there is no access from the water- it is built high on a bluff.

The train or bus is not the same as the ferry. From the ferry you see the jagged coast line and the steep vineyards- really takes your breath away. The train goes through long tunnels and pops out here and there but you won't gain the same perspective.

The other aspect is that you are in an airconditioned bus going up and back (its 1.5 hours each way) and you won't fret over getting back to the ship on time.

I did the tour offered by Celebrity but there were people from NCL on the same ferry- so I suspect that Princess uses the same tour company for the Cinque Terre.

You have about 30 minutes in Vernazza to walk around on your own. An at the last town- you have about 1.5 hours to walk around and eat lunch.

Other than that you follow the pack around but take my word for it- its a great tour and I think the only way to see the Cinque Terre in the time frame in port. The ship tour took 9 hours.

Archived