The Square in Copenhagen

I don't know about that hotel but after a lot of research I decided to use Priceline as a lot of other cc'rs did. Got the Marriott for $125. It seems if you just choose 4 star hotel a bid in the $120's will get it. It is a beautiful hotel so I would certainly try that before you confirm your other booking. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. We stayed at the Marriott a couple of years ago, and it was very nice of course, very modern and within walking distance of Tivoli, but it was also a ways from the town center. This time we decided to stay right in town. Whether this is a good decision or not, I guess we'll just wait and see.

If you're at the Marriott and have time, be sure to catch the water taxi at their dock around ten in the morning. It's one of the best deals we found and was a lovely hour's tour.

Thank you so much for that link, Big Al. The review sounds like we've made a good choice this time for The Square since we were hoping to be more in town. I guess we'll be as much "in town" as one can be.

We've booked The Square for our stay in July 2008. I reviewed the Tripadvisor website and the reviews were mixed but we wanted to stay in the middle of the city. We also saw Samantha Brown's review on Travel Channel.

Good Luck

We stayed at the Square hotel last year and loved it.

No complaints, the breakfast was good and the windows were double paned so noise from the street below was blocked out.

An excellent location!

Also, next door is the TIGER store which is there version of a dollar store. A great place for snacks, bottled water, and possible souvenirs!

You can view our pictures and read our baltic cruise review at our personal travel journal website.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/balticcruiseportinformation

Samantha Brown stayed in the Square for her Travel Channel show on Copenhagen - http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown/ci.Copenhagen%2C_Denmark_Travel_Guide.show?vgnextfmt=show

Hey Al...we are very seriously considering the Queen Victoria to Northern Europe and the Baltic on July 18th. I was looking at some info on these ports when I came across your post.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel (The Square)? I've booked a couple of pre-cruise nights for this June. I wondered whether this was a good choice. Thanks.

This hotel was featured by Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel on one of her shows. Looked like a very nice hotel, and obviously the location is great with being on the Town Square (Radhuspladsen).

hey melanie! found you :) ! not replying to this thread, just trying to do 2 things ... first, say hello again, and second, ask for a birthday present! yup, today i turned 58 but that's not the b'day i'm talking about. mom - you remember her - will be 80 in three weeks. we are having a party for her and making a filmstrip, and i'm writing to ask if, please, you guys have the 'pirates' night' photos you could email them to me @ rosemarywh at yahoo com ... (i'm writing the url out to try to fool the screeners ... we'll see if it works! i'll also check back here.

i'm asking because that night was oneof the best of mom's life. really. i know she'd be thrilled thrilled thrilled and surprised to have the pix.

hope you two are well ... i'm SO jealous you've been on two great cruises since we saw you, and planning ANOTHER!!!! you'll love cruising the baltic ... don't miss st. petersburg, and also the vasa ship. there are several viking ship museums, but the one you MUST see is the vasa.

best to you, and do a little dance with your honey for me ... he was a fun partner! blessings, rosemary

I stayed at The Square last June and have decided to return this summer, as I really liked being there.

The best bits:

Location a block from Tivoli and 2 blocks from main train station. Lovely and helpful front desk staff. Draft beer (Øl) for sale at front desk. Beautiful modern lobby with chairs by Arne Jacobsen. Immaculate clean bathroom. Nice toiletries. Attractive and tasty breakfast spread -- Scandinavian style - w/ baked goods, cold cuts, cheese, herring, cold cereal, fruit juices (no bacon / eggs American style!).

The not so perfect bits:

No ice machine (but you can get ice at front desk). Bathtub shower does not have curtain, rather, one of those fixed glass panes that does not extend the whole length so it's easy to splash the floor. Room A.C. did not put out much air and so room was stuffy.... opening the window solved the problem as it was cool outside. My room would be considered small by USA standards... I considered it 'cosy'. People with a lot of luggage will find storage space too small if they try to unpack.

The not so perfect bits:

No ice machine (but you can get ice at front desk). Bathtub shower does not have curtain, rather, one of those fixed glass panes that does not extend the whole length so it's easy to splash the floor. Room A.C. did not put out much air and so room was stuffy.... opening the window solved the problem as it was cool outside. My room would be considered small by USA standards... I considered it 'cosy'. People with a lot of luggage will find storage space too small if they try to unpack.

This sounds exactly like 85% off my hotel experiences in Europe.

All of what you considered not so perfect is pretty much standard

to solve the ice issue, go to the bar and ask for a glass of ice take back to your room and pour your drink over it.

I've had just bathtubs with a handheld shower nozzle attached no curtain no glass pane....you can't help but flood the entire bathroom trying to get shampoo out of your hair...so I actually would move the squares bathroom configure to the positive side.

The thing is, the things I called "not so perfect" really didn't bother me, and were so far outweighed by the good stuff.

I mentioned them since even very nice European hotels can be, uh, different than new gigantic hotels in USA.

So, like I said, I'm going to be a smiling return guest!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your positive comments, TG Lindo and all of you. We're looking forward to being in town although the price of these Copenhagen hotels really knocked me over. I'm not sure we saved very much by using miles to upgrade our flight since it required the two extra pre-cruise nights. But we do love Copenhagen, so I'm not complaining.

Archived