kids area clarification

wethreecruzers

I'm tossing around another Princess cruise however would like some clarification on the kids play area. My daughter will have just turned 3 when we sail and I'm concerned that she won't be allowed to stay in the play area as I'm not sure she'll be potty trained by then. I've heard that they'll beep us if she needs a diaper change but don't know how true that is. Has anyone run into this before?

You have it right - Princess does allow non-potty trained 3 year olds, but they don't change diapers, so they just beep you when necessary. My twins turned 3 the day before our last Princess cruise and one isn't potty trained yet. We had absolutely no problem - I just got beeped the couple times she needed changing. It means you can't leave your child in the kids program and go ashore though. Princess is a good option if you're not sure about potty training status at the time of sailing (as opposed to RCCL which will not allow non-potty trained children to participate).

Best,

Mia

I know your question was about non-potty-trained children, however, if your daughter is potty-trained before the cruise you will need to prepare her to manage the whole process on her own. I was quite surprised to find out when we cruised last summer and our youngest daughter was not quite 4 that staff members are not allowed to provide any assistance in the bathroom. Children need to be able to get themselves on and off the toilet, wipe, flush and handwash by themselves. We always made our daughter use the bathroom in our room before she could play in the kid's club in order to avoid having to use the facilities while there.

My son was 3.5 on our Emerald Princess cruise 2 months ago and he loved it! He's potty trained, but doesn't wipe well on his own. We just spent a little extra time sitting on the potty and reading a book before we left the cabin so that he could take care of that with our help.

Archived