Mazatlan hotel beach vs Stone Island

joycefnp

We are going to be on the Pride in July with our 3 kids, ages 23, 20 and 18. I have been planning to go to Stone Island on our own. What is stopping me is the fact that I love to lay on the beach and drink margaritas in Mexico, and apparently this isn't possible on Stone Island, since they are only allowed to serve beer.

So my question is this: does anyone have an opinion re: going to a hotel beach in the Golden Zone vs Stone Island? Are there any activities such as banana boats, atvs etc at the hotel beaches? If so, which hotels are the best?

Thanks

We are in the same boat (pun intended!) We will be in Mazatlan in June on the Vision. We were thinking about Stone Island, but I like my mixed drinks! Also, my teens want to rent jet skis and parasail, so I'm thinking our best bet is to find a hotel in Mazatlan. We want a good beach and a pool, mixed drinks, and water sports vendors. Any ideas? We don't mind a day use fee, preferably not a large one since there are five of us.

Too bad we're not ON the same boat! I hope we get some feedback. I too would like the things above. I do think my kids would like to ride ATV's and they rent them on Stone Island. I hope someone can give us insight. Maybe I'll just stop and buy a bottle of rum and bring some pineapple juice. Not the same as a margarita, but better than beer!

We are in the same boat (pun intended!) We will be in Mazatlan in June on the Vision. We were thinking about Stone Island, but I like my mixed drinks! Also, my teens want to rent jet skis and parasail, so I'm thinking our best bet is to find a hotel in Mazatlan. We want a good beach and a pool, mixed drinks, and water sports vendors. Any ideas? We don't mind a day use fee, preferably not a large one since there are five of us.

How old are your kids?

We went to the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. If you go, walk around on the right side (through the hotel restaurant) and not the left side. On the left, there's a guy that sits there and rents out hotel towels for cruisers. We just snuck in. Pretend like you are a hotel guest and you should be fine. Yes, they had mixed drinks.

We've also done the Playa Mazatlan Hotel. Same thing, just walked in thru the hotel and to the beach acting like we knew what we were doing. Done this probably 4-5 times. Just don't show your cruise ship towels. They will be happy to serve you all the drinks and food you want. The beach is nice but the vendors can be a bit pesty, but as long as you are on the hotel side of the beach they are not allowed to approach you. Enjoy.

We went to the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. If you go, walk around on the right side (through the hotel restaurant) and not the left side. On the left, there's a guy that sits there and rents out hotel towels for cruisers. We just snuck in. Pretend like you are a hotel guest and you should be fine. Yes, they had mixed drinks.

This sounds like a good idea. I checked out the website and it looks nice. We could be beach bums and still have time to shop! Do you remember if there were vendors nearby for jet skis/parasailing, etc.?

Yes, there's a jet ski and parasailing vendor right in front of the hotel. Basicly, right when your foot hits the sand, all the vendors coming running with all that they got. The jet skier vendor walks around holding a lifevest and the jet skis are a few feet away parked on the beach.

Also, there's lifeguards on the beach so that's good for the little ones.

If you go online to Puerta Vallarta Tours, there is Beach Break at Posada Freeman Hotel in the Golden Zone. If you book another tour through their company or an activity (parasailing, jet skis, etc.) you get to use all of their hotel facilities for free. We have booked the Princess Yelapa tour for PV and will be doing the beach break for free.

Archived