Are any HAL recipes available?

btobey

Just back from a wonderful cruise on the Amsterdam and wondering if HAL makes any of their recipes available? I loved the Swiss Muesli at breakfast; I've never had anything quite like it! I also thought that HAL did a particularly good job with their Asian offerings, cold salads, breads/muffins, and custard/souffle-type desserts (not so well with chocolate desserts, though).

There is a HAL cookbook: A Taste of Excellence by Rudi Sodamin. It is probably available for purchase on their website. I know it is sold on the ships and always see it displayed in Pinnacle Grill.

I seem to recall the Swiss Muesli recipe has been posted on this Board in the past. Perhaps try a search for the recipe.

I saw the cookbook on display too, but I couldn't figure out where to purchase it. Has anyone actually tried the cookbook? Just wondering how good the recipes are that are actually included...also, is it available anywhere other than through HAL?

All you have to do is tell the waiter that you want the recipe for a certain thing and they can get it for you. All the recipe's are available for the asking.

We have a good friend who is the Chef on one of the ships. Email me the specific item that you are interested in and I will try to get it for you....

Ruth & Jim

Just back from a wonderful cruise on the Amsterdam and wondering if HAL makes any of their recipes available? I loved the Swiss Muesli at breakfast; I've never had anything quite like it! I also thought that HAL did a particularly good job with their Asian offerings, cold salads, breads/muffins, and custard/souffle-type desserts (not so well with chocolate desserts, though).

I loved the Muesli on our Noordam cruise in March....sooooo good. I could of eaten it for breakfast, lunch and dinner :D I would also appreciate the recipe if anyone has it on hand.

This claims to be close:

Swiss Muesli Like Holland America's

4 servings

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon honey

1 to 2 apples, peeled and grated

1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds

1 cup low-fat yogurt (any flavor you wish)

Combine oats, milk and honey and leave soaking in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, add the grated apple, hazelnuts or almonds, and yogurt.

I saw the cookbook on display too, but I couldn't figure out where to purchase it. Has anyone actually tried the cookbook? Just wondering how good the recipes are that are actually included...also, is it available anywhere other than through HAL?

I have the cookbook and it's about 200 pages, great photos, many excellent recipes. A really nice cookbook IMO

If you are interested in getting it, why not just buy it from HAL than search for someplace else it might be available? :confused:

Thanks so much for the recipe links! I definitely want to try making the muesli. I don't remember tasting nuts in it though--what do others think?

sail7seas, to answer your question, I'd rather buy the cookbook in a store to avoid shipping costs.

I don't think you can buy it at any local bookstores.....probably not at a local B & N or Borders etc

I think it might be available on Amazon but there probably would not be free shipping?

Thanks so much for the recipe links! I definitely want to try making the muesli. I don't remember tasting nuts in it though--what do others think?

sail7seas, to answer your question, I'd rather buy the cookbook in a store to avoid shipping costs.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to take another cruise soon! :rolleyes:

So what do I get for it??? ;) Don't you need a cruise friend (who take great pictures!:p ) for your next cruise?:D

CUCUMBER LIME SMASH

In a tall pint glass put 2 lime wedges, hand press lime with a muddler, add cucumber and fill glass with ice, pour 1.5 oz gin or vodka, 1.5 oz house made sour, 1 oz Sprite, shake and strain into martini glass, garnish w/ slice of cucumber.

SOUTH SEAS AVIATION

In a pint glass put 1/8 grapefruit, hand press w/ muddler, fill glass w/ ice, pour 1.5 oz Tanqueray gin, .5oz marashino liquer, 1.5 oz house made sour. Shake and strain into martini glass, garnish w/ maraschino cherry.

This claims to be close:

Swiss Muesli Like Holland America's

4 servings

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon honey

1 to 2 apples, peeled and grated

1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds

1 cup low-fat yogurt (any flavor you wish)

Combine oats, milk and honey and leave soaking in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, add the grated apple, hazelnuts or almonds, and yogurt.

Awesome, thanks so much!!!

:D

It is listed as available online from B&N which means that even if it is not in stock at your local store, they can order it for you. As long as it is carried in B&N inventory it can be ordered locally and they will get it in for you with no shipping costs. Just go to the desk and ask them.

Requested this after my last cruise and got a prompt reply from the Guest Relations department.

Here it is:

Berner Bircher Muesli serves 10 people

4 cup Quaker oatmeal

4-cup milk

2 cup Heavy cream

4 Plain yogurts

2 tablespoon lemon juice/fresh

1/2 honeydew melon, diced finely

1/3 cantaloupe melon, diced finely

2 apples, diced finely

1 pears, diced finely

1 cup chopped nuts

1/3 cup soaked raisin

1/3 cup Honey

Season with sugar as needed

Fresh berries optional

1. Soak oats in the Milk and cream for 2-3 Hours

2. Peel apples, core and grate apples coarsely

3. Blend immediately with the lemon juice to avoid discoloration

4. Mix Sugar and Yogurt

5. Combine all remaining ingredients

From the Pinnacle Grill:

Dungeness Crab Cakes with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Serves 6

1/3 cup celery, finely diced

1/3 onion, finely diced

1/3 red bell pepper, diced

1 cup Dungeness crab meat, picked and well drained

1 egg

½ cup mayonnaise

Juice from ½ lemon

1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce

1 T. chopped chives

¼ tsp. thyme

½ tsp. garlic, minced

1½ cup panko or bread crumbs, more as needed

salt and black pepper to taste

PREPARATION

Mix all ingredients well and adjust seasoning to taste. Use ice cream scoop to shape into cakes. Bread with panko crumbs. Place cakes on sheet pans sprinkled with dry panko crumbs. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

½ oz fresh minced ginger

¼ oz. garlic, minced

½ fl. oz. white wine vinegar

2 fl. oz. fresh lime juice

12 fl. oz. sake

4 fl. oz. heavy cream

12 oz. unsalted butter, cold cut in chunks

2 fl. oz. Thai sweet chili sauce

Kosher salt and white to taste

PREPARATION

In a heavy saucepot over medium high heat, combine ginger garlic, vinegar, lime juice and sake. Reduce to a light syrup (90%). Add cream and reduce to 60% over medium heat, careful not to scorch. Reduce heat to low and gradually whip in the cold butter chunks. Whisk in chili sauce, salt and pepper.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Dungeness Crab Cakes with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

{page 2}

Marinated Cucumbers

1 cucumber, shaved on spiral slicer or mandoline

½ quart vinegar

½ cup sugar

¼ cup salt

1 T. ground cardamom

1 T. allspice

Mix all the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Chill.

assembly:

Sauté crab cakes in non-stick sauté pan until golden on each side and heated through.

Drain briefly on paper towels.

Arrange crab cake on plate. Drizzle with chili sauce. Pile high with marinated cucumbers. Sprinkle with chopped chives. Garnish with chive strands.

I have all the HAL cocktail recipes if you need one....the bar manager and I became good friends on my cruise;)

Very cool! I'd love a list of all the after dinner shooters--our wonderful wine steward gave us several for free. :D

Requested this after my last cruise and got a prompt reply from the Guest Relations department.

Here it is:

4 cup Quaker oatmeal

4-cup milk

2 cup Heavy cream

4 Plain yogurts

1/3 cantaloupe melon, diced finely

2 apples, diced finely

1 pears, diced finely

1 cup chopped nuts

1/3 cup soaked raisin

1/3 cup Honey

Season with sugar as needed

Fresh berries optional

1. Soak oats in the Milk and cream for 2-3 Hours

2. Peel apples, core and grate apples coarsely

3. Blend immediately with the lemon juice to avoid discoloration

4. Mix Sugar and Yogurt

5. Combine all remaining ingredients

Wow, that is awesome, thank you! The amounts might be a little difficult--4 plain yogurts? I was surprised to see the melon; I don't like melon, but I loved the muesli!

Another thing I thought was wonderful was HAL's guacamole--very garlicy and yummy. All of their cold salads at lunch were very good too.

You'll just have to take another cruise to enjoy all the yummy food. :D\

CONGRATULATIONS, Brad, on 600 posts. Hope you make many,many more of your excellent, helpful, fun posts. :)

SakeDad,

Thanks for the recipes - how about the next time we're on a cruise on the same ship I'll buy you a couple of drinks? Will that do?:D

I ran all over town today looking for the Maraschino liquer, had no luck so I ordered it online. Also ordered some Creme de Violette. Supposedly it was in the original recipe for what called the "Aviation Cocktail". I'll let you know how it turns out. I did enjoy a cucumber smash though.

Thanks Again,

Susan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Muesli recipe as provided by Holland America:

4 cup Quaker oatmeal

4-cup milk

2 cup Heavy cream

4 Plain yogurts