Chankanaab vs Playa Uvas

cleophus12

We have been to Cozumel several times and always go to Chankanaab. This time we are thinking about going to Playa Uvas for the clear kayaking. We thought our 15-year old might enjoy this. Can anyone give me an objective comparison between the two? Will we be sorry if we don't go back to Chankanaab?

We have the same dilema :) We've only gone to Chankanaab each time we've visited Cozumel and I feel like we should try someplace else. Playa Uvas is the only other place that interests me. After reading many reviews of Playa Uvas I am worried about it being too crowded there. Also feel the snorkeling is easier at Chankanaab. Our teens seem to like going back to the same place, memories I think :) Still can't decide!

We've been to both and I have to say we prefer Chankanaab. The snorkeling in my opinion is better and the area (beach, water) is prettier. Chankanaab is also bigger and we always hang out at the far end and never feel crowded. Uvas was also not very crowded the two times we have been, they bring in lots of snorkel tours, but they don't stay long. The only reason we went back to Uvas is because they offer boat diving. Chankanaab only has shore diving. If I was just going to snorkel I would choose Chankanaab.

I like to try new places too, so I don't want to turn you away from Uvas. I liked it and am glad we went. I just didn't like it as much as Chankanaab.

We've been to both and I have to say we prefer Chankanaab. The snorkeling in my opinion is better and the area (beach, water) is prettier. Chankanaab is also bigger and we always hang out at the far end and never feel crowded. Uvas was also not very crowded the two times we have been, they bring in lots of snorkel tours, but they don't stay long. The only reason we went back to Uvas is because they offer boat diving. Chankanaab only has shore diving. If I was just going to snorkel I would choose Chankanaab.

I like to try new places too, so I don't want to turn you away from Uvas. I liked it and am glad we went. I just didn't like it as much as Chankanaab.

We and our teens enjoyed just laying on the beach and being able to snorkel from shore off and on all day. Chankanaab was perfect for that, and even when crowded we never had trouble finding chairs in the shade. The waiters always served drinks and food on the beach and that was great too.

Thanks for your opinion, it really helped me decide. I think we'll stick w/what we've enjoyed in the past and try new excursions at the ports that will be new to us, like Roatan and Belize. Will probably stay on the ship at Grand Cayman since we've been there a few times and we really relax and enjoy the ship when everyone is off :)

I also am having a dilemna choosing between going back to Chankanaab and going to a new beach. We have thought about Paradise Beach, but I don't like the looks of the chairs all lined up so close. I've also considered Nachi Cocum. We were wondering if you know how Chankanaab looks now compared to the way it was before the hurricane a few years ago. Did they replant the gardens?

Thanks!

I also am having a dilemna choosing between going back to Chankanaab and going to a new beach. We have thought about Paradise Beach, but I don't like the looks of the chairs all lined up so close. I've also considered Nachi Cocum. We were wondering if you know how Chankanaab looks now compared to the way it was before the hurricane a few years ago. Did they replant the gardens?

Thanks!

I didn't like the looks of those chairs at Paradise Beach either. And, I think they have motorized water sport rentals there and I'm not interested in listening to motors all day. I just saw some pics of Nachi Cocum on another thread and it looks lovely! But, I'm not sure how the snorkeling is there, if you can do it from shore or not. Yes, I'm wondering about the Chankanaab rehab also, do they still have the grass umbrellas for shade?

Archived