Smoking on Balcony

BJR1

I've looked through the threads and found that smoking is permitted on the Sun Deck, but it's closed quite often for bridge clearance. Are there any European river cruiselines that permit smoking on the balcony?

Thanks. I'll check them out, but I had hoped that some previous passengers would have some information. We have done some ocean cruising but have never tried river cruising. One of us smokes, and we always get a balcony for that reason.

There really aren't any balconies like you'd think. We had a sliding door that opened to the outside. There was a railing that stopped anyone from falling directly overboard, but that's it. The upper deck had two parts, the big area was the highest and it was closed for most of the time, mainly because they have to fold down the railings in order to go under some of the bridges. Once they lower them it takes a bit to raise them again so they just leave them down and keep that area closed. But there is an area up there ahead of the bridge which one could stay at. I sat up there almost the entire trip and even so had to duck under a couple bridges. You could also go out on deck up forward to smoke too I suppose, but the smoke would blow back into the lounge if you did. I don't really think you'd have that much difficulty sneaking off to have a smoke. I really don't think they would allow it in the cabin though.

Buck

Archived