Best Way To Go To St. John

CANBRFAN

We will be in St. Thomas in a couple of weeks and I would really like to go to St. John. I don't want to do the ship excursions becuase we don't want snorkelling. Any suggestions on how to get there on our own, how much the taxi/ferry ride would be? Also, is Trunk Bay the best beach to see in St. John? - Thanks in advance :)

Ships dock at Havensight and Crown Bay. Ferries to St. John depart from Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is closest to both Havensight (about 1.4 miles away) and Crown Bay (about 1.7 miles away) however you should check the schedules for both ferries and decide which fits your schedule the best.

To help with figuring out cost:

Havensight to Red Hook - taxi is $10 per person, one way ($1 more from Crown Bay).

Havensight to Charlotte Amalie - $4 per person, one way (also $4 from Crown Bay)

Red Hook Ferry: One way, $5/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11

and

Charlotte Amalie Ferry: One way, $10/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11

Both Ferries arrive in Cruz Bay, St. John.

Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay - $6 per person, one way.

Entrance to Trunk Bay - $4/adult; 16 & under/Free

For ferry schedule info. try: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+john+ferry+schedule&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Lots of beautiful beaches on St. John. Trunk Bay is convenient for a day trip: close to Cruz Bay, and it has restrooms and food service. And it is beautiful. Cinnamon Bay is another option (same amenities as Trunk Bay plus it has a watersports booth that carries some non-motorized watersports). Hawksnests (close to Cruz Bay and has restrooms, you'd need to bring a picnic lunch/drinks), Caneel Bay (its home to Caneel Bay resort). You could hike to a beach like Honeymoon and then on to Caneel Bay via Lind Point trail which starts in Cruz Bay. You'd want to bring drinks with you for the hike, no amenities until you get to Caneel. Once at Caneel you can grab a taxi back to Cruz Bay rather than hiking back. You can check these and other options by reviewing a St. John Beach guide, try http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkjOBoixIxlkB2MNXNyoA?p=beach+guide+for+st.+john&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Ships dock at Havensight and Crown Bay. Ferries to St. John depart from Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is closest to both Havensight (about 1.4 miles away) and Crown Bay (about 1.7 miles away) however you should check the schedules for both ferries and decide which fits your schedule the best.

To help with figuring out cost:

Havensight to Red Hook - taxi is $10 per person, one way ($1 more from Crown Bay).

Havensight to Charlotte Amalie - $4 per person, one way (also $4 from Crown Bay)

Red Hook Ferry: One way, $5/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11

and

Charlotte Amalie Ferry: One way, $10/Adults and $3.00/Children ages 2-11

Both Ferries arrive in Cruz Bay, St. John.

Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay - $6 per person, one way.

Entrance to Trunk Bay - $4/adult; 16 & under/Free

For ferry schedule info. try: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+john+ferry+schedule&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Lots of beautiful beaches on St. John. Trunk Bay is convenient for a day trip: close to Cruz Bay, and it has restrooms and food service. And it is beautiful. Cinnamon Bay is another option (same amenities as Trunk Bay plus it has a watersports booth that carries some non-motorized watersports). Hawksnests (close to Cruz Bay and has restrooms, you'd need to bring a picnic lunch/drinks), Caneel Bay (its home to Caneel Bay resort). You could hike to a beach like Honeymoon and then on to Caneel Bay via Lind Point trail which starts in Cruz Bay. You'd want to bring drinks with you for the hike, no amenities until you get to Caneel. Once at Caneel you can grab a taxi back to Cruz Bay rather than hiking back. You can check these and other options by reviewing a St. John Beach guide, try http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkjOBoixIxlkB2MNXNyoA?p=beach+guide+for+st.+john&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, this is great! I think it's going to cost quite a bit for a family of 4, it might actually be better to take the ships excursions in the end. - Thanks again!

The 'dollar ride', a form of public transportation, is an option for traveling between the Havensight area and Red Hook. It is $2 pp, ow. You'd have to walk from the ship to the bus stop area and then get off at the stop in Red Hook.

--Islander

The actual public transportation, called VItran, uses buses. The 'dollar rides' use safaris, which many taxis that cater to the cruise docks also use. Taxis also use vans and a few use SUVs and cars.

--Islander

That's a pretty long walk. If you have kids with you or are carrying a lot of beach gear, you might want to take a private cab from the cruise pier. This all depends on what is more valuable to you on your vacation - time or a few bucks.

Taxis use safaris, vans, cars/suvs. "Dollar ride" uses safaris. Usually, not always, the vehicles used on the 'dollar ride run' are older. Taxis will pick you up at your starting point and drop you where you are going. "Dollar ride" functions like public transportation, so you have to walk to/from the bus stop (in some cases through areas that are a bit seedy, ie. the walk to Coki Beach from the bus stop area). Taxis catering to the cruise ship pier generally do not stop at points between the cruise ship pier and where they are heading to pick up or drop off people, because they usually gather folks going to the same place before heading off. "Dollar ride" will stop a few times along the way. Taxis pretty much function on your schedule. "Dollar rides" do not have a schedule, the public bus does but its not very detailed or reliable. Between the two, usually one passes every 15-25 minutes or so. Taxi can take you pretty much wherever you need/want to go. "Dollar ride" follows a route that doesn't include some areas of the island, so it can't be used to get to some places cruise folks frequent (ie. Magens Bay). If you are traveling with a few people or small group, you can find a taxi to accomodate you (large safaris can accomodate 26 passengers). Some 'dollar rides' use the large safaris and some are the smaller type; in either case if the one that passes is pretty full your party may either have to split up or wait for the next 'dollar ride' and hope its less full.

Hope that helps.

--Islander

Islander, may I ask for a bit of advice?

Our ship will be in port at Crown Bay from 7am to 6pm. I'm figuring that we can get a taxi to Charlotte Amalie and grab the 9am ferry to Cruz Bay. My question is on the return...we need to be back on board by 5:30.

Would it be better to take the 2:15 return ferry from Cruz to Charlotte Amalie (I don't think I'd risk the 3:45) or to hang out a little longer at St John and catch the 3pm ferry to Red Hook and taxi back to Crown Bay?

I'm thinking that with the possibility of traffic, the ferry to Charlotte Amalie might be a better bet. Am I thinking correctly? I'm pretty sure we're the only ship in port that day, a Saturday

Thanks for your help!

Archived