Taxi vs shuttle--? about leaving ship to go to airport

I am considering taking a taxi from the airport in San Juan to the Adventure. TA says this is better, faster, less expensive & safe to do. Please tell me how this works. How long to get to pier, which pier is it, how much does it cost, and how does this work when trying to go back to the airport after the cruise? Thanks.

The Taxis in San Juan are regulated. It has been a few years since we have done SJ but when we went, the taxi from airport to pier was $16. Price included 2 pieces of luggage. Additional luggage was $.50 per piece.
When you leave the airport, outside there will be a taxi dispatcher. Dispatcher will give you a ticket to give to driver. They might also have brochures that spell out the zones and costs.
Taking a taxi is very easy and eliminates that cow herd feeling that you get using transfers. It is about a 20 minute ride to the pier areas.
To return to the airport, all you have to do is get off the ship. Taxis will be lined up waiting for passengers.
I agree with your TA. Taxi is much better way to go than the ship transfers. You go when you are ready to go, not when the bus is filled and they decide to send you.

There are also taxi dispatchers in the baggage claim area. You can get your ticket from them and avoid the dispatcher line outside and go directly to the taxi's.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=03>
<param name="day" value=19>
<param name="hour" value=17>
</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Two weeks ago it cost $18 for 2 people, 4 bags from the Pan American Pier to the airport. Don't think your ship is there though. When you do the RCCL transfer, you go on a bus and have to wait till it's full and your luggage goes in a truck and you have to wait till it's unloaded. I've done it both ways and like the taxi much better.

Sailed 3 times from San Juan. Used the taxi every time. It's way faster than the shuttle and safe. Just see one of the cubside dispatchers first, at the airport. As stated above, the fares are regulated. Enjoy SJ and Old SJ!

CCL Ecstasy, Dec98, W. Carib.; CCL Imagination, Dec99, E. Carib.; CCL Fascination, Dec00, "Dutch Treat"; CCL Destiny, May01, So. Carib.; CCL Destiny, Dec01, So. Carib.; CCL Victory, Dec02, E. Carib.; NCL Majesty, Jun03, Bermuda; CCL Conquest, Dec03, W. Carib.; Gonna sail NCL Pride of Aloha, Sep04, Hawai'i; RCI Monarch of the Seas, Dec04, Baja Mexico

I am going to take a taxi instead of the cruise line transfers for the first time on the AOS 8/29. Since we will be carrying our own luggage aboard, what are the size requirements. I know if you have the cruise line transport them, you can have a pretty big suitcase, but since we are not using them, will they have to be small enough to fit on the screening belt?

Sandi

Your suitcases can be any size because when you get to the pier you hand them over to the RCCL staff who bring them to your room, hopefully by dinner time. I guess that you can carry aboard small bags that can fit through the x-ray machine.

I've done both the cruise line transport from San Juan to the pier and taken a taxi....Go with the taxi...much quicker, you don't have to wait for a group, and the price is not bad. In March I believe we paid $13.00 flat rate and then $1.00 per suitcase....we had 3 suitcases and 2 carry-on. And, the taxi driver was a riot! Much nicer than sitting on a crowded bus following the truck with the luggage.

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02
Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04, planning 10/04

Archived