Carnival Snorkle trips in Belize - what's the difference?

ziggy666

I'll be on the Valor in a couple of weeks and would like to snorkle in Belize. The ship offers 3 different snorkle trips - Turneffe, Goff's Cay, Sergeant's Cay.

I'm trying to figure out which one would be best. I don't care about relaxing on a beach, drinking or dining. My main objective is to spend as much time in the water with the fish as possible.

Can anybody offer guidance, or even suggest an independent tour?

Thanks.

We did Goff's Caye in March. We took the excursion from the ship. They pick you up directly from the ship (for all snorkeling trips booked through Carnival). It is about 20-25 minutes by boat from the ship. We were given the opportunity to snorkel from the boat or be dropped off at the island. We snorkeled around Goff's Caye (very small) and then off the island. We spent most of our time in the water. There was a small grill and drinks available on the island. There was also a port-a-pot on the dock.....It was clean though.;) The water was crystal clear and the island beautiful. I have seen more fish but there was a wide variety of fish. The coral was gorgeous.:D I would post pics but have not figured out how to resize them to post. If you are interested I would be glad to email them. Let me know if you are interested. I would definitely do this again. The current is a bit stronger but with fins no problem. I could not really mess with my new underwater camera a whole lot though due to the current. I kept drifting from the group when I was taking photos so I had to wait til later. :rolleyes:

. . . and although it is very interesting as Belize's largest atoll, BEYOND the barrier reef, the excursion is probably aimed more at SCUBA divers. It is a fairly long boat trip out and a long boat trip back to Belize City.

Goff's Caye has more shade than Sergeant's Caye, which has "five guardian coconut trees." Therefore Goff's Caye attracts many more tourists. But it is not legal to visit the reef without a licensed tour guide in any case, so be sure that your tour specifies snorkeling if that is what you really want to do.

If you would like to consult an independent tour provider for advice, you might send an email to Marvin Deras, who has a great deal of experience with all the islands and reefs of Belize.

I've taken only the Goff's Caye trip, twice. When I was on it in November '06, the wind was high and the surf strong. It was chilly on the caye and we spent about half an hour in the water but it was a struggle. There was a guy selling cold beer from a cooler on the island, the port-a-potty and that was about it.

This past April we did it again and was a far superior experience. the water was very calm and we spent at least 45 minutes with the guide snorkelling, we saw lots of fish, coral, a very large ray and even a barracuda! There was fellow there with a large table set up as a bar and a BBQ from which they sold food. Also a couple people selling craft items.

I like this excursion because I love to snorkel and it's very convenient to be taken directly to the caye and back from the ship. If booking a private tour you would first have to tender to the dock and pick up your tour from there.

• 3 weeks later...

So, in Belize, if you do Carnival's excursions, they take you from the ship directly to the site for snorkeling without actually tendering to town first? That could be a definite plus.

Is there much to see in town for just a walk about?

So, in Belize, if you do Carnival's excursions, they take you from the ship directly to the site for snorkeling without actually tendering to town first? That could be a definite plus.

Is there much to see in town for just a walk about?

I only know about the Goff's Caye excursion and yes you go directly from the ship to the caye and back. From what we had read on these boards, and heard from experienced cruisers, there is very little at the port itself and most who have been to the port recommend that this is the port where you want to do an excursion because of the fact that there is little else to see or do.

We did both the Goff's Caye and also went into town for the afternoon. There was a shopping area right at the pier. We actually returned to the ship from snorkeling, changed, ate and then took the tender into town. That took maybe 20 minutes. THere is a small indoor "mall", some indoor and outdoors stores one or two bars. It was sufficient for a little shopping. We got a few trinkets and several unique t-shirts. I would probably not venture beyond the gate with my limited knowledge of the area unless I was on an excursion. I know many people do but I have not studied up enough on the area. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else have experiences to share about these three?

• Goff's Caye
  • Sargeant's Caye
  • Barrier Reef at Turneffe

I have never snorkeled and really can't swim. However, I do want to see the reef if possible. The above three are offered by carnival. I've also researched some private tours as referenced by CC posters.

This appears interesting from Star Tours:

Barrier Reef Tour

rays.jpg

Snorkel the world's 2nd largest living barrier reef. Snorkel the shark parks, swim with rays and sharks and also feed them, if you dare (Not dangerous don't worry!!!). Chance to see the world's famous eagle ray, this is the only place where you can view and swim with this creature. It's a one of a kind experience. Snorkel the local coral garden and South Channel to enjoy marine life and Coral Canyons. Includes fruits, water, entrance fee, and equipment.

Tour Price: US$30.00

Tour Time Span: 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m - 5:00 p.m.

So as you can see, there are so many options. I welcome your thoughts and feedback. It will likely be two of us snorkeling and the other two enjoy the city, maybe the Belize City Tour.

All the ship's tours (at least on Carnival) say you must be able to swim to do these excursions. If you are not afraid of the water, then you could try it. But it will be very much over your head by alot. You will get a vest and while most experienced snorkelers do not inflate them at all, you can and you could just drift and see a while lot. But you must be able to get back to the ship or the beach.

Previously, on private tours, many operators say they specialize in people like yourself.

When snorkeling Goff's Caye off the boat and over the reef we were in 20 ft of water with a definite current. However, you could also snokel directly off the caye in very shallow water without a lot of current interference. I think you would feel comfortable with a snorkeling excusion in this situation. You will see a lot of nice coral but not as many bigger fish in the shallows. I can email pics if you would like to see a few. I am pic post illiterate though.....:rolleyes:

When snorkeling Goff's Caye off the boat and over the reef we were in 20 ft of water with a definite current. However, you could also snokel directly off the caye in very shallow water without a lot of current interference. I think you would feel comfortable with a snorkeling excusion in this situation. You will see a lot of nice coral but not as many bigger fish in the shallows. I can email pics if you would like to see a few. I am pic post illiterate though.....:rolleyes:

I would love to see pictures of your snorkeling adventures...:D

You can send them to sk84fungirl at yahoo dot com

Look at Goff's Caye or Sargent's Caye. I believe both are simply snorkeling excursions. I know Goff's is right on the reef.[/Q

Thanks for all the advice. We booked Goff's Caye. It just looked to soulful in the pictures!

Look at Goff's Caye or Sargent's Caye. I believe both are simply snorkeling excursions. I know Goff's is right on the reef.[/Q

Thanks for all the advice. We booked Goff's Caye. It just looked so soulful in the pictures!

There will be a lighthouse on an island that you can see from Goff's Caye. It is very picturesque. (sigh...was very pretty) We did not realize until we got home that this is the harbormaster quarters. When you leave Belize you will follow a long channel. It seems like forever!!!! When you approach that island on the right side of the ship a boat will approach mid ship and retieve the harbormaster from the ship. The harbormaster guides the ship until this point. I think he was picked just before first seating at dinner. It was kind of fun to watch.:D

• 1 month later...
Anyone else have experiences to share about these three?

• Goff's Caye
  • Sargeant's Caye
  • Barrier Reef at Turneffe

I have never snorkeled and really can't swim. However, I do want to see the reef if possible. The above three are offered by carnival. I've also researched some private tours as referenced by CC posters.

This appears interesting from Star Tours:

Barrier Reef Tour

rays.jpg

Snorkel the world's 2nd largest living barrier reef. Snorkel the shark parks, swim with rays and sharks and also feed them, if you dare (Not dangerous don't worry!!!). Chance to see the world's famous eagle ray, this is the only place where you can view and swim with this creature. It's a one of a kind experience. Snorkel the local coral garden and South Channel to enjoy marine life and Coral Canyons. Includes fruits, water, entrance fee, and equipment.

Tour Price: US$30.00

Tour Time Span: 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m - 5:00 p.m.

So as you can see, there are so many options. I welcome your thoughts and feedback. It will likely be two of us snorkeling and the other two enjoy the city, maybe the Belize City Tour.

Less than a week away and I sill have not made plans for Belize...:o

We are thinking of taking the Goff's Caye excursion through Carnival. Does anyone know if the snorkeling is on your own, or if you have to play "follow the leader" with the group guide? :confused: We've done both types of snorkeling excursions and prefer to be left on our own to explore.

• 2 months later...

Archived