Beach but not by excursion

jam44

Been to Belize before and really don't recommend doing this...their beaches are out on the islands around the mainland. I don't even know if there are any good beaches around Belize City on the mainland. Don't get me wrong, it's our favorite port, but it's not Cozumel where you can just catch a cab to one of many great beach locations.

You'll have to either take an excursion or the water taxi out to one of the cayes. Seriously tho, by the time you take the tender and then get on a water taxi, it might be just as easy to take an excursion that would pick you up at the ship and take you directly out. For info on the water taxi, use the search feature. I've read several posts about it, but since we didn't use it, I don't know the details.

No good beaches on the mainland within a reasonable distance, so taking a taxi on your own to a beach to hang out isn't likely realistic.

All that said...the cayes are beautiful and the water in Belize is an unbelievable blue. We really enjoyed our visit and are looking forward to returning.

We also held back on an excursion in Belize... and regret it.

On Cayman, we just got our own taxi to Seven Mile Beach and back for shopping. I knew I could do the same in Cozumel, and figured to be able to in Belize and Roatan. However, the night before Belize is when we found out the beaches were very much inconvienient to Belize City, after the shore excursions desk closed! So we kept ourselves inside the gated port area, and the taxi drivers still hounded us. We did have lunch and Belikin beers at the Wet Lizard, and bought some cool carved wood items, so it wasn't a total wash.

My recommendation is to BOOK an excursion on Belize! I didn't hesitate to book one that night for Roatan the next day... but I ended up feeling safer there than Belize.

I concur. This is one port where you need to do a tour. I don't know what your itinerary is, but I would bet that one or more of you ports are more conducive to a do-it-yourself-day.

Archived