Booking Through Discount Airline Sight

Cookie2boys

As a start, I wouldn't characterize expedia.com as a "discount" booking site. It really is an online TA (except it doesn't consider airlines such as Southwest, whereas a "bricks and mortar" TA probably would). Compared to the 2 other large TA sites (orbitz and travelocity), it is the largest. All three of these sites will add a handling fee on top of the fare charged by the airline. Typically, this is one reason why it is suggested to book flights directly with an airline. (Also, why introduce a third party to the transaction?)

In reference to Priceline.com, it is now necessary to further state which part of priceline you are referring to. If it's the "name your own price" section, the major disadvantage, of course, it that your precise itinerary will not be divulged to you until after you have paid for it. In particular, you could end up with major inconvenient travel times and stopping patterns. On the other hand, if you are buying a ticket through the other part of priceline, the major advantage is that in November 2007, Priceline “permanently” eliminated all booking fees on published airfares. Consequently, in some circumstances, a ticket will end up being less expensive than one bought on US Airways' website as an example.

First off, you might not actually be receiving a discount. Most of the tickets sold on Travepedia are just regular tickets with a service fee added on. If you ever do get a "discount" ticket from a source other than the airline directly, KNOW THE FARE RULES. It is very likely that you would get highly restrictive consolidator tickets that give you VERY limited flexibility in times of irregular operations (when you most need it!). Furthermore, you are gambling on the reputation of the agency selling the tickets. Most consolidator tickets are fully non-refundable, non-endorseable, non-changeable, non-everything. You basically use it as written or lose it.

Now, if your travel plans and personality can stand it, consolidator tickets can work out and provide you with definite savings IN PRICE. You do have a trade-off in terms of restrictions on the tickets. Only you can determine what your risk-tolerance level is and if it is worth it to you.

Also know that some consolidator tickets are in fare classes that do not earn FF miles. On longer international flights, that can make some degree of difference -- we had a poster here before who never thought about the fact that his ticket purchase to Europe would be over 13000 FF miles.

Finally know that you probably shouldn't put most discounters in the same category with Travepedia or Priceline's transparent service.

After some good and some bad experiences with online TAs like Orbitz-Travelocity etc., I've decided that for me it is best to book directly through the airlines. I may miss out on saving a few dollars, but if things go wrong or have to be changed, I like to be in control to fix things.

Here's an example: Last summer my DH wanted to change a flight home from Montana about 3 weeks before traveling. I had booked through Expedia (or one like it). After some hassle contacting them, they determined that I would have to pay a change fee (understandable) but also re-book the WHOLE ticket, both ways. Basically an entirely new ticket at the higher prices, with some credit left from the old one. Added up to about $400.

I decided to call Alaska Airlines and beg for mercy.:rolleyes: They charged me a $100 change fee (ouch) but re-jiggered only the part of the trip I was changing, for about $30. So I "saved money", $130 vs. $400.:rolleyes:

I'm sure some people have saved a lot of money using third parties and will testify to that. But not reading the fine print or having to make a change can wipe out that savings. I am too OCD to use something like Priceline without knowing all the details. I do use the Orbitz-type services to "shop" for fares. I also book rental cars and hotels directly from the company so I don't have to pay when I book and can change my itinerary.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Archived