Mercury Questions!! HELP!

Pearl Jammer

[font=Comic Sans MS]I am hoping someone can answer my questions. Going on my very first cruise on 1/7/05 to Mexico via Celebrity-Mercury. I have read varying things regarding bringing alcohol aboard...I am under the impression it is a big "no-no". Will it be possible to pack wine bottles in my luggage without them being confiscated?? What about vodka & such... I was thinking of maybe filling water bottles with vodka if that was the case. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Also, I will be traveling with family and since my parents booked the cruise (I'm 25), I understand that any charges that are accrued go on the room key card. Is it possible to have my charges put against my own credit card, instead of going to my parents? I'm hoping someone can help me out.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks! :D [/font]

Jammer:

You can certainly take alcohol aboard with you. They, of course, do not want you wandering the ship swigging from the bottle. Just use common sense. I was on the Mercury in late May and Infinity in September and was allowed to walk on with alcohol on both.

As to charges, when you check in to board just tell the person at the desk that you want to be responsible for your own charges. They'll take your credit card info and your cabin info and be glad to set up a 'folio' of your own. It's easy as pie!!

Have fun, you'll enjoy that lovely ship and the Mexico trip is great fun!

Gale
Oregon

I'm not going to feed the booze debate - read through this board and you'll get more information than you ever wanted.

In answer to your question about charges to you own card. It should be no problem. If they can't do it for you and check-in, go to guest services and they'll register your credit card with your sea pass card.

Thanks Gale! I certainly appreciate the input! I tried contacting Celebrity and they never got back to me...I figured I'd get a much better response on here (and I was right).

Out of curiousity, I realize that most everyone cruising is my parents' age...will there be any "twenty, thirty-something" kids for me to play with?

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]Yes, there will most likely be "kids" your own age! The alcohol thing like Sue said, has been beaten to death over & over. You can bring alcohol--preferably wine, in your luggage. They state in their docs that it is against their rules--so be prepared to have it taken away if they so choose. They will give it back at the end of your cruise--never happened to me, but it HAS happened! If you're flying, you might re-think the bottles--my friends did that & had it all taken away at the airport--open containers!!! Sealed NEW bottles were fine in carry on. We ALWAYS schlep wine & a bottle of our fave rum & have never had a problem. Just my story & I'm sticking to it! :D[/color][/size][/font]

My husband normally carries a small flask in his suitcase whenever we travel, I'm hoping that will still be ok, we'll probably put that in his checked luggage. We are flying so are planning on bringing one special bottle of wine which is sounds like we'll have to carry in one of our carry on's.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]Marion, We always take several bottles of wine--wrap them in bubble wrap & take them in a carryon. We have never had any problems either with the airlines or the cruise ships. We just roll the carryon right along! I only know that my friends filled plastic bottles with their fave liquor & got busted at the airport for "open containers". I would definitely suggest you pack the flask in the checked luggage to avoid that scenario![/color][/size][/font]

I use a carry-on that's a backpack on wheels - just roll it onboard your flight and on your ship. As an added precaution against breakage, roll each bottle in some bubble wrap.

As for companionship, I think you'll have no problems finding at least one or two young ladies your age (even on Celebrity!).

Have a great cruise.

Pearl Jammer--My husband and I will be on the cruise with you. We are 30 and 33 and you can hang out with us anytime! We have never cruised with Celebrity but are looking forward to it even if we are some of the "younger" ones on the cruise. With it being a 10 dayer, I am sure that the crowd will be a little older. We have registered for the Cruise Critic party and we already have over 25 people signed up so the party is definite. If you want to, sign up and that will be a quick way to meet some more people. There is also a short thread on the roll call board too.

As far as the alcohol thing, I noticed you are in San Diego so no airport problems for you. We have never brought alcohol with us on a cruise but I know lots of people do it.

[quote name='addicted2traveling']Pearl Jammer--My husband and I will be on the cruise with you. We are 30 and 33 and you can hang out with us anytime! We have never cruised with Celebrity but are looking forward to it even if we are some of the "younger" ones on the cruise. With it being a 10 dayer, I am sure that the crowd will be a little older. We have registered for the Cruise Critic party and we already have over 25 people signed up so the party is definite. If you want to, sign up and that will be a quick way to meet some more people. There is also a short thread on the roll call board too.

As far as the alcohol thing, I noticed you are in San Diego so no airport problems for you. We have never brought alcohol with us on a cruise but I know lots of people do it.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I'm all signed up for the Cruise Critic party. Addicted, as you said, I live in San Diego, so I don't need to worry about my carry-ons. My parents have warned me about over-packing, though. They have been on several cruises & know my tendancy to pack everything in my closet. I'm stressing out, though, because I only have one "formal" dress. A black cocktail dress. Considering the fact that there will be at least three formal nights...I'm going to have to go shopping. Being from San Diego, I live in jeans, tanks and flip flops. I'm assuming black pants and a blouse will be appropriate for casual or informal nights??

Also, how many pairs of shoes do I need? Flops, tennies, cute dress-up shoes...oh man, I'm going to need eight suitcases!

My husband always overpacks too! I may find myself doing it this time cause we have never cruised Celebrity or a 10 dayer before and I'm not sure what to expect. I am sure slacks and blouse will be fine for most nights. As far as the formal nights, if you have to, you could wear the same dress all 3 nights. With it being black no one would probably notice or care that you repeated outfits. Just put on some different jewlery each night! I'd skip the flip flops though, every ship we have been on seems to have a lot of slippery areas. I can't tell you how many times I have about bit it in my flip flops! I usually wear sandals that have a little traction. I normally only have one suitcase when we travel and I'm thinking there is no way this time! Look for us, we'll be the ones lugging 10 suitcases!

[quote name='addicted2traveling']My husband always overpacks too! I may find myself doing it this time cause we have never cruised Celebrity or a 10 dayer before and I'm not sure what to expect. I am sure slacks and blouse will be fine for most nights. As far as the formal nights, if you have to, you could wear the same dress all 3 nights. With it being black no one would probably notice or care that you repeated outfits. Just put on some different jewlery each night! I'd skip the flip flops though, every ship we have been on seems to have a lot of slippery areas. I can't tell you how many times I have about bit it in my flip flops! I usually wear sandals that have a little traction. I normally only have one suitcase when we travel and I'm thinking there is no way this time! Look for us, we'll be the ones lugging 10 suitcases![/QUOTE]
HAHAHA you and the other 1100 people on the boat! :D

Archived