Warning about booking fishing trips at Grand Turk

WeBeGone

We returned yesterday from a wonderful 4 night cruise on the Caribbean Princess. This was our 11th Princess cruise. We have never had any issues of any kind but now we are seeking assistance in getting a refund in the amount of $119.50 from Princess.

DH purchased a shore excursion for $239 that was advertised as "Fly Fishing" in Grand Turk. He confirmed with the desk agent that indeed, it was FLY FISHING. He was extremely upset to discover that instead of fly fishing, he was loaded onto a small boat and taken into the ocean where he was given a rod and reel and told to just "fish the bottom". Immediately upon returning to the ship, he went to the shore excursion desk to file a complaint and request a full refund since what he bought was NOT what was delivered. The agent said he would look into it and would call us. 24 hours went by without a call so he once again went to the shore excursion desk. This time he asked to speak to the manager. The manager questioned DH about whether he fished and when he answered yes, the manager said that no refund would be forthcoming. DH could not make him understand that FLY FISHING is a highly specialized sport that in no way resembles "fishing". The manager said he'd call the vendor and let DH know. He never called.

On the last night, we went to the pursers desk to check the folio. $119.50 had been refunded. We spoke with the pursers agent who gave us a customer relations card and said we should write a letter and that's what we did.

We feel we're entitled to the full refund because what was delivered was not what was advertised or promised. FLY FISHING is not just fishing. The shore excursion desk should have confirmed with the vendor that indeed fly fishing was available. If it was not, that excursion should have been withdrawn from sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this warning. I was considering a similar exursion this fall, but believe I'll pass now. I may look into booking something independently, but a quick perusal on the Orvis website showed no endorsed guides in the Turks.

Have you tried fly fishing excursions at any other ports that were worthwhile?

Thanks again for the heads up.

WeBeGone

I would write Princess and explain what happened while on your excursion and request a refund.

We went on an excursion after our cruise because of a late flight. During our excursion a passenger demanded to be brought to the airport because of his flight time. They had to cut short the excursion just for this passenger.

I wrote Princess what had happened and requested half the cost of the excursion. Within a month I received a check.

Good Luck!

Glad to hear this was resolved with a full refund HOWEVER passengers are still disappointed with a shore excursion that is not accurately depicted. and a precious cruise day is wasted. Princess needs to stop offering this particular excursion.

• 7 years later...

I recently had the same issue. I have my own fishing charter business in south florida. I booked a charter through carnvial excursions in grand turk. It ws advertised as "sportfishing" but it was just dropping a piece of rotton bait down to the bottom for bottom fish. Never again. I will be sure to do more research next time.

Glad to hear this was resolved with a full refund HOWEVER passengers are still disappointed with a shore excursion that is not accurately depicted. and a precious cruise day is wasted. Princess needs to stop offering this particular excursion.

Also glad to hear a full refund was given.

Hate the excursion description was so very wrong. What a disappointment! :(