Kids Galore

movinout

Does anyone have any thoughts on how crowded with children the Sky will be with this special going on ...kids free? Looking at going on a trip with my sisters and though we love little ones...have grandchildren..we don't want to be tripping over them Planning on going the week after Labor Day when we'd hope the little darlings are back in school.:) Has anyone any experience with these short cruises and kids on the ships after schools are back in session? Thanks..

It's going to be swamped with kids....plan on it. If you don't want to be around too many kids, then I'd plan on traveling after Sept 30th when the Free Kids promotion is over. We are taking our kids during an "off" week and we're bringing 2 other families with a total of 7 kids under 4 years old. This is a family promotion and to expect anything else would be unrealistic...

I have been on the Sky when she was the Pride of Aloha.... the kids area is actually quite small and the kids pool area is ridiculously small. (compared to other NCL ships.). I can't imagine that many kids in the Kids Club and also plan on the kids basically taking over the main pool area as well.

Oh, and don't bother asking NCL to take care of rowdy kids on board. There was a group of kids running wild on the Star in 2005 when we were on her (running in the halls, knocking over people, playing "elevator tag" and cussing anyone out who dared used them...of course the kids' rant didn't phase me, I used it anyhow.) When people complained to the purser's desk & security, the response from the ship was: "kids will be kids" and nothing was ever done.

I'd completely skip the kids promotional time period. Sounds like it will be a zoo.

We normally cruise without our kids...but we're taking advantage of this chance to join in on the kid mayhem and taking the kids in September on the SKY. Why not...it's going to be a zoo of kids...might as well add our kids to the pack!

We went on Carnival during Spring Break and while the ship was over-run with kids they only bothered us at certain times/areas:

Around the pool deck - just stay away from the pool, you don't really want to get in that water anyway do you? The 4 night cruise doesn't have any sea days so plan on using the pool or hot tubs during early morning hours or late evening hours when the families will be at dinner.

The main elevators by the pool and the stairs close to the pool - yes kids were running wild up and down the stairs and hogging the elevators. Don't be afraid to speak to them like they were your kids - one lady sharply said "stop running!" and they did! Not sure if their parents would appreciate that. :D

Oddly enough, the teenagers were much better behaved than the pre teens. And I did hear of one family being put off the ship a while back because of the childrens bad behaviour so maybe the parents have become stricter so that doesn't happen to them.

And luckily, we had a balcony cabin and could escape to that whenever we wanted to get away from the little darlings.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I have booked it...a "sister" trip for myself and two older sisters. We needed something short and sweet. Great price, and though we do love kids..since one sister has never cruised before, I don't want to shock her. Since it is on the 9/8 cruise one would think most children would be in school or should be I should say. :) Ah well, we don't have to baby sit them do we! Do most parents utilize the buffets for their kids? I haven't met a cruise I didn't like and I'm sure this one will be just great for all of us. Maybe we could pick up some babysitting cash to help pay our bar bill....just joking folks! Wishing you all happy sailing.

I certainly hope you don't think anyone was poo-poo'ing on your cruise. I believe everyone is trying to be realistic. As with ANY cruise...it's going to be what you make of it. If you are certain before you're there that the kids are going to bug you, then they probably will....just keep an open mind and know they are going to be there and that you'll work around it. I can't blame you on the price and the fact that the cruise is so convenient with the days it falls on. I've booked another cruise on SKY for me and my guy friends in October. The prices are spectacular right now....why not...right??

though the special does run into September, I would guess that the numbers of kids would drop off after labor day as most kids return to school. Sept would be a great time for those with younger kids to travel.

I agree with the previous poster about escaping to your balcony when needed so be sure to get a balcony if you can.

We are going on the Sky's first sailing out and we are taking our 4 year old son. He's been on several cruises and we couldn't get him out of the kids club if we tried to, believe me. We've picked him up at 1:00 a.m. before and he STILL didn't want to leave, lol! As long as most parents take advantage of the kids club then the little ones shouldn't be running around. You should only have to deal with the 13+ crowd since they can sign themselves in and out. Unfortunately though, some people with small children don't make enough use of the kids club and it winds up affecting other people's vacations.

Just know that if you are on the Sky's first sailing and there is a screaming 4 year old boy next to you, I promise, it won't be my boy, lol! :D

Happy sailing everyone!:)

though the special does run into September, I would guess that the numbers of kids would drop off after labor day as most kids return to school. Sept would be a great time for those with younger kids to travel.

HEY GARY2:) ..it's me Deb from the Pearl...I knew you'd be giving me some advice here sooner or later!!;) How are you doing? I hope you read this. You should know about kids///how's the school going?

Give Carla a HI!

Deb/Movinout

I certainly hope you don't think anyone was poo-poo'ing on your cruise. I believe everyone is trying to be realistic. As with ANY cruise...it's going to be what you make of it. If you are certain before you're there that the kids are going to bug you, then they probably will....just keep an open mind and know they are going to be there and that you'll work around it. I can't blame you on the price and the fact that the cruise is so convenient with the days it falls on. I've booked another cruise on SKY for me and my guy friends in October. The prices are spectacular right now....why not...right??

Hey, superflyjeff...I'm a believer in equal opportunity cruising and will probably enjoy the little ones. In fact, on most of our cruises we've not seen many kids, this could be fun and interesting..and really it won't bother me unless one knocks on my door at 3 am!;) You are right about those prices!! Can't do that on a land trip, no way. The food /gas alone would break you. Don't know if you're on our cruise on 9/8 but wish you all a great time.

Archived