Ocean View on an Alaska cruise?Hurry

flashdog_1

Although I'd like a balcony there are none available on our sailing. I've done Alaska in an inside on Summit and I was fine with going on deck to see the scenery, watch for whales etc.

My question about ocean views is this: In September or maybe May, when the weather is cooler than the summer months, do the windows fog up or does condensation run down them due to the difference in indoor and outdoor temperatures, and make the window surperfluous for glacier watching after you get too cold on deck?

I'm not asking for advice about where to go to see glaciers. I'm asking that if you get cold and really want to go back to the cabin, can you see thru the windows!!

I know about longer daylight hours in Alaska. I do not need a window in order to awaken in the morning. I just want to know if a window is a poor substitute for being on deck at glacier viewing!

I have to pick the cabin on Monday. Should I stick with my inside or spend $180 more pp for an ocean view? Thanks so much. I'm relying on you!

We are 1st time cruisers, so not experts, but the TA's advice was Alaska was one of the places to spend the extra $. After all, the view is the only reason for going! No sun to lounge on the decks etc. I would definately spend the extra for a window.

We are doing Alaska tomorrow with a balcony, but a disney cruise later in the year with an inside cabin. We figure with disney each day is spent ashore anyway, so no need to spend the $, but Alaska.......

Good planning. Unfortunately no balconies are available on our sailing to Alaska.

What I want to know is if you can SEE out the window in an ocean view in Alaska (not fogged up). Thanks, and have a good cruise!

We have done Alaska in outside views and in CC aft's and have never had a problem with condensation. You should be fine looking at the scenery. In fact, we had more problems on Infinity when we did the Panama Canal. With the humidity outside and the AC inside, our doors (and camera lenses) were fogged constantly.

Get the outside cabin!

We have done Alaska in outside views and in CC aft's and have never had a problem with condensation. You should be fine looking at the scenery. In fact, we had more problems on Infinity when we did the Panama Canal. With the humidity outside and the AC inside, our doors (and camera lenses) were fogged constantly.

Get the outside cabin!

Just when I'd decided the window would fog you tell me NOT! ha. I just read Lois' review of Galaxy (Mercury's sister ship) and the reviewer said the windows in the observation lounges were fogged (and this was southern Carib not Alaska) so I'd decided that on an older ship such as these two that I had a pretty good chance of getting foggy windows.

I did Panama in a balcony on Summit and I don't really remember if it fogged up. If I wanted a view I went onto the balcony! ha

But I do appreciate your taking the time to answer since you told me exactly what I asked. You have been in an ocean view to Alaska and it didn't fog!

Just when I'd decided the window would fog you tell me NOT! ha. I just read Lois' review of Galaxy (Mercury's sister ship) and the reviewer said the windows in the observation lounges were fogged (and this was southern Carib not Alaska) so I'd decided that on an older ship such as these two that I had a pretty good chance of getting foggy windows.

I should tell you that everyone complains about Galaxy's windows. Have been for years. They aren't fogged due to condensation, but because they are double pane and they have gotten moisture between the panes. This is especially true in the Constellation lounge where lots of people go to sightsee.

I should tell you that everyone complains about Galaxy's windows. Have been for years. They aren't fogged due to condensation, but because they are double pane and they have gotten moisture between the panes. This is especially true in the Constellation lounge where lots of people go to sightsee.

They have the same problem on the Mercury in the Navigators lounge. It is a failure of the seal between the two panes and I fail to see why they don't replace the glass it is one of the very few things that we didn't like about the Mercury.

They have the same problem on the Mercury in the Navigators lounge. It is a failure of the seal between the two panes and I fail to see why they don't replace the glass it is one of the very few things that we didn't like about the Mercury.

I think that is a fairly major job and I don't think that either one of those ships will be in Celebrity's fleet within two years. They are probably just sailing that way until they are gone. Galaxy has already been destined for a new line and most doubt that Mercury is far behind as more of the Solstice line come online.

Archived