Hilton Riverside booked- where else to stay in New Orleans

shellgoodman

Hilton Riverside in New Orleans is booked so I am out of luck for Thanksgiving weekend! Where else can I stay with my family (DH, young DDs and MIL) that is really inexpensive but close to the port? We are driving from TX so we'll have a car to either park at a hotel or at the terminal (app $100 for week). Unfortunately, I need two rooms or a suite with two bedrooms for two nights. After looking at hotels.com I am overwhelmed and don't know the area at all to make a decision without expert advise.

Thanks.

There is a Sheraton nearby and tons of other hotels. My mother stayed at the Sheraton last year and loved it. I know there are two Sheratons there so be sure to ask their location before booking.

Try the Embassy Suites on Julia Street!!! embassysuites.com

We have stayed there quite a few times. There are only 3 of us, but with DH and self, and a 17 year old young man, the extra room is great for the extra nights. We all know there is NO privacy in the cabin!

Pat

Try this website: http://www.nomcvb.com/travelagent/cruisedetails.htm. It was made especially for travel agents to use for their cruising customers in New Orleans. It details the hotel specials in New Orleans that cater especially to cruisers and was done by the New Orleans Convention & Visitor's Bureau. There are some very good deals here, in fact, this is where everyone got the Hilton $99 special from. Some of the deals include free parking, shuttle service to the pier, free cocktails, free mardi gras gifts, and one even includes a free limo to the pier. Since parking in New Orleans is so expensive, I would look for something with free parking. It could save you a lot of money.;)

OK - I went to the link and looked at the specials - but which hotels from the list are the best deal as far as the hotel itself - not just the price, but location, service, etc..... Interested in more info on Prytania Park Hotel - it doesn't say where it is located - but I like the fact that they shuttle and have free parking.

Anyone help out?

I called the number for Prytania Park and the lady there said that they no longer offer the shuttle. You will want to make sure and go through every service listed on the web page to be sure they still offer the service. She said they do have free parking for the duration of the cruise. It is in the garden district - which doesn't mean much to me - maybe someone can help me. I noticed on their website http://www.prytaniaparkhotel.com that they have lofts so I asked. She said it's $99 for the loft and an extra $10.00 a person over 3 - but that children under 18 are free. The rooms have a mini kitchenette.

Anyone stay here?

We are staying at the Clarion, which is on Canal Street, just outside the French Quarter section. We got a rate of $58.49 per night, plus 13% tax and a $2.00 fee. Are you sailing on the Sensation, too? We plan on parking in the port parking lot.

Norma

We just stayed in a 2br 2ba suite at Homewood Suites on Poydras. It is about 10 blocks from pier, and was $179 AAA rate for the night. Don't know about parking because we flew. They do not have a shuttle. It's a Hilton property, maybe you could ask if you can get parking over at the Hilton Riverside since they're related. The suite also has a pull-out couch.

Did you call the Hilton Riverside directly and found out they're full?

Suzy

Thanksgving weekend is a difficult weekend to find a room as there are 80,000 people coming to town for a big football game (Southern University and I forget who). Anyway, after calling Hilton first and then a bunch of others, I found a cruise special with the Holiday Inn French Quarter for $129 a night (2 nights) and includes parking for 7 days. I am not sure how close this is to the pier. My DH will drop us off at the terminal, return the car to the hotel and then walk it back to the pier.

The room is a executive king with a king bed and queen sofa. One of my kids I'll put in a sleeping bag. Now I only have to purchase ear plugs for myself for the monster snorer in my family. No the snorer is not my DH but my MIL!!!

I called the number for Prytania Park and the lady there said that they no longer offer the shuttle. You will want to make sure and go through every service listed on the web page to be sure they still offer the service. She said they do have free parking for the duration of the cruise. It is in the garden district - which doesn't mean much to me - maybe someone can help me. I noticed on their website http://www.prytaniaparkhotel.com that they have lofts so I asked. She said it's $99 for the loft and an extra $10.00 a person over 3 - but that children under 18 are free. The rooms have a mini kitchenette.

Anyone stay here?

Cheryl,

Funny how I run across this post of yours today. My travel agent has booked us rooms for my group to stay here prior to our Conquest cruise. According to my TA, this hotel is located about 1 mile from the pier in the historic Garden District and it on the route for the St. Charles Streetcar. We have booked this hotel for $99.00 dbl occupancy and parking is a one time (yes, that is right!!) fee of $12.95 (and includes parking for the week!!:eek: ) I trust my TA and know she wouldn't put us someplace unacceptable and I am thrilled with the parking fee! Yahoo!! :D The wkend we will be in New Orleans also happens to be Sugar Bowl weekend. I am just thankful she took it upon herself to find us accomodations. Good timing, too, cuz I was about to book at the Hilton-Riverside! Gotta love a good TA! :p

Happy sailing,

T.

T -- Please let me know if you liked this hotel - I've seen reviews from one extreme to the other on trip advisor. It looks like it's a nice - "non-chain" - hotel - but it's hard to tell.

Cheryl - I most definitely will let you know what I think of this hotel as soon as we return! I am so excited I almost cannot wait!!! :rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

T.

I have stayed at The Ambassador before. It is a little far from the french quarter (not too far) and it was cute. The rooms had hardwood floors. They were nice. It wasn't that expensive either. It is actually between Poydras and Lafayette on Tchoupitoulas. Their # is 504-527-5271. I would check with them. I remember that they had an onsite restuarant and I think they had valet parking but I can't remember what we did with the car. It's a shame you couldn't get into the Hilton because I have stayed there too. Well, good luck.

My husband & I love New Orleans. The Omni Royal Crescent @ 535 Gravier St. is absolutely luxurious....large spacious rooms, antique reproduction furniture, marble baths.....last time we stayed $85 per night... small hotel.... only 4 floors. Can't beat it. Within walking distance. Parking is extra. But I've heard you can get a slot card @ Harrah's and park there.

Archived