Do you tip the Maitre 'd ??

It's interesting now that they provide a special envelope to passengers for maitre d tip. I had never seen that one before or at least since auto tipping. The only extra tip I had in the dining room was for our assistant waiter. He was the hardest working one of the bunch and I know his auto tips and wages are lower. So it made sense to me to give him a little more.

I usually don't tip them but on our Fantasy Cruise in March we did. He came by our table every night and made sure everything was ok. He even went and got our yougest another chocolate milk one night. This is the first time we have seen them more than once during the cruise.

If he makes the effort to come to the table and talk at least a couple times and is a likable sort.....good personality. Then yes I tip him, usually around 10 $....... if he hides the whole cruise then so do I on tip night !

The one and only time by BF tipped the Maitre'd was on the Voyager of the Seas. We really like the garlic soup they had one night. The next night, we asked the Maitre'd if there was any way we could get more of that soup. He asked our group how many would like the garlic soup again. Took down the number of people and the following night we had the garlic soup.

That Maitre'd was at everyone's table every night asking if everything was ok or if he could do anything for us. This was the only time I have seen a Maitre'd go over and above what his job is.

Judy

Not I... Actually, until the last cruise I was on, I had never really taken advantage of the dining rooms except for lobster night. Now, the last cruise I went on, I went to the dining room all except one night (got trashed in nassau, and passed out)

However, I frankly cannot say that I have ever actually met the maire'd, as they have never come table to table asking... In fact, the only times I can ever remember seeing the maitre'd was on the last night of the cruise, where he was standing at the front of the dining room, with his hand out as people entered. Thats just my personal experience however.

They actually stand their with their hand out?? In that case, I'll give them a buck.:eek: That takes b***s!

The one and only time by BF tipped the Maitre'd was on the Voyager of the Seas. We really like the garlic soup they had one night. The next night, we asked the Maitre'd if there was any way we could get more of that soup. He asked our group how many would like the garlic soup again. Took down the number of people and the following night we had the garlic soup.

That Maitre'd was at everyone's table every night asking if everything was ok or if he could do anything for us. This was the only time I have seen a Maitre'd go over and above what his job is.

Judy

Now see, if ours would have done anything near to that we would have tipped him. Only on my cruise on the Holiday, did I even know who the Maitre' D truly was, plus he smelled so good when we happen to be on an elevator with him on the first day. When we saw him that night in the restuarant, we were very pleased. This was trip without the DH.

The Maitre'd's are paid a very good salary to do their job, unlike the waiters and assistants who work the dining room, lido and other areas. I have never tipped a Maitre'd for doing what he is paid to do. If he did something extra for me, I would certainly tip.

Judy

I couldn't agree more . . . tip only if he did something EXTRA.

I've never had the maitre'd come around to our table. The head waiter (or whatever they call him), yeah, but never the maitre'd.

That being said, we always tip the maitre'd ten bucks or so but if he grants us a special request we bump it up considerably. The level of service always dictates the compensation.

:) I had posted earlier that we always tip the Maitre 'D $20 to $50 each cruise and that a friend is a Maitre 'D on one of the ships.

Just an FYI, they are salaried employees but the salary is $2000 per month. They really do rely on tips to support their families, many of them living in Europe, where the dollar hasn't been worth too much. This may help in deciding if the job they do to oversee all the (front of house)staff who work in food service wether it's Lido, dining rooms, cafes etc are worth a tip or not. They truly put in a ton of hours (generally from 6am to 11pm) each day, with a couple short breaks in between and they never get a day off. They may get one afternoon off a week to go offshore. Not too many of us would consider working those hours for the salary they earn. This is why we always tip the Maitre 'D.:)

How does tipping work on a cruise? Do you do this at the beginning or at the end? Do they automatically charge a % to your room?? any help..Thanks!!:confused:

Yes, tips are added automatically, but the Maitre 'D is not included in those tips. We almost always add to the tips automatically taken to pay extra to the server, busboy, hostess and to our cabin stewards if we feel the service was good. We ususally pay about $10 per person. You can also tell the pursers office to take off the tips from your bill, which to me is a shame as those people generally make so little that to take tips away from them is taking their real earnings away from (for the most part) are very hard working people:) .

How can you get a table for 2. Is it something we need to request as soon as we get on board? I know many love being with lots of new people at dinner and chatting but this is DH and my first real vacation minus the kids in 15 years. I'd prefer a 2 person table if at all possible.

Archived