Family reunion cruise tips

pboedeker

My husband and I are taking the entire extended family on a Spring Break 2009 cruise. Our group consists of 28 people ranging from 9-79 years. Does anyone have "tips" for me that might assist this group on the ship? We're sailing Carnival. Any special assistance that our group would qualify for?

Thanks

Here's a link to the reunion site on Carnival's web page. According to the website, you may be eligible for a group planner and/or discount.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/family_reunion.aspx

You may also want to start sending everyone a weekly e-mail newsletter where you can highlight ship amenities and fun things to do at your port-of-call. Maybe also have a "family member of the week."

Also--I've never done this as our family isn't that large, but some big families do a "Secret Santa" type of exchange of small presents while on-board. It's a great way to become reacquainted with some of the long-lost members of your family.

Have fun!

CeleBrat

We have done this for many types of vacations, and going again in June. What seems to work best for us is a couple of things.

Don't over itinerize the group.

Don't be afraid to do things in smaller groups.

You don't have to spend every minute together, and is recommended that you don't. lol

We do try and sit dinner together, although sometimes the little ones go to kids club. *depends on the type of dining.

We also always have a quiet time, usually late afternoon, and then we meet in one cabin or lounge for cocktails. (we all do this age 2-72)

Quiet time is great and helps the younger ones make it through dinner, they are less crabby (and so are we lol)

The guys usually have a night out together as well as the women (separate)

Most of all let the small things go, family is great and memories last a lifetime.

Good luck.

Does anyone know if we would be able to get "priority" tender tickets, so our entire family could tender at the same time? Also, what about specialty restaurant reservations? How would we ever get reservations for 28?

I know on our recent family cruise on NCL Dawn, the hotel director was more than happy to assist our group of 14 with some of those issues? I'm not sure if this is the norm or just an accidently perk we recieved.

I organized our smaller group of 14 (although sadly I couldn't pay for every one). DH and I let them know what excursions we were going on. We said that we would love to have everybody join us, but we know people have different ideas for vacation and would love to plan to have dinner together every night to discuss how our days were. Give them the option of doing or not doing what YOU want to do. In the end, we were together for excursions and dinner and it was great, but during the "off" days we slept in at different times and hardly ever saw each other for breakfast.

DON'T STRESS.:)

Archived