Do they change sheets every day?

cruisefamily1

All you have to do is ask your cabin steward or leave a note and they'll be happy to change the sheets if there's an accident. They don't do it automatically every day (they're being economical and earth-friendly; it's the same with towels - they only replace them if you throw them on the floor).

Best,

Mia

Would he be totally against wearing some protective underwear at bedtime while on the trip? I don't know what the mattresses are like, but just changing the sheets won't help if they don't have a waterproof liner.

I'm glad the meds help him out! I'm sure it has to stressful and frustrating for him. {{hugs}}

I know exactly how your child feels. I had bladder issues until I was 14, and on medication from the time I was 6. I have seen that they have a sort of diaper like underwear for older kids on the market, would have been estatic over that for sleep away camp. Hopefully your child will grow out of it soon, mine disappeared one day and that was it. It seemed to be worse in new places and when I worried more about it happening. You might also inquire with special needs to see if they have protective sheets for the bed so the mattress doesn't get wet.

I have been on cruises where the sheets are changed everyday and I have also been on cruises where they are not. So how about taking along some sort of waterproof pad to put under the sheet on top of the mattress just in case he has an accident. This way the mattress won't get wet, and if you need the sheets changed your cabin attendant can do that.

Have a great trip.

My daughter had a bed wetting issue until she was about 10. One thing we always noticed was it always happened more on vacations. For us we realized why . . . she would be playing hard and active all day long, would usually be drinking later at night because we are not as structured on vacation and then she would also stay up later (sometimes much later) than normal. So, by the time she went to bed, she slept like a log! Too tired to notice the urge to go to the restroom.

If vacation time for your family is a big departure from your normal home life, I would say prepare for some accidents. At the age of 12, I would probably talk to my child and explain that we need to prepare ourselves for the possiblity. Give him a few options (i.e. bringing waterproof mattress pad or protective undergarments) and let him decide which of those two options he is most comfortable with. I'll say a prayer that there are NO accidents!

God Bless!

On all the cruises we have been on, there is no problem with getting the sheets changed- My DD got sick one night on the last cruise and we called in the middle of the night and got our sheets changed.

I have the same issue with DS. What I plan on doing is taking a waterproof pad to place under sheet just in case. If it gets soiled, I plan on having sheets changed and taking waterproof pad and rinsing it out in shower with a little laundry soap and water. Since my room is a balcony, I will then lay it out on balcony and as warm as it is it should be dry in no time. I have tried the protective underwear here at home, but he won't wear them.

wow...I am so happy to read this forum.....My 12 year old daughter also still wets the bed. It's very hard for her...she doesn't really say too much about it, and she wears nightime goodnights, a product that is a disposible undergarment for older children. We say it's just the same as wearing glasses if you can't see properly, or needing a brace for a bad leg. She wears them for bedtime, but it bothers her. It is especially bad for sleepovers, etc.

We are sailing in Feb. and we will again bring them with us....BUT hopefully she will outgrow it by then (although I've been hoping that now for years)!!

It's better to bring something, than for urine to get into the mattress...they cannot wash that out. Good luck!

I have the same issue with DS. What I plan on doing is taking a waterproof pad to place under sheet just in case. If it gets soiled, I plan on having sheets changed and taking waterproof pad and rinsing it out in shower with a little laundry soap and water. Since my room is a balcony, I will then lay it out on balcony and as warm as it is it should be dry in no time. I have tried the protective underwear here at home, but he won't wear them.

Instead of washing the waterproof pad if DS has an accident, have you tried the disposables? They are 36 by 36 inches and you can get them at Walgreens or CVS. They are the type that nursing homes use.

Stick a couple in your luggage and you'll save time. They are disposable and great for travel. If you child is a bit embarassed by the problem, they won't have to know that it's drying on the balcony for others to see, expecially in port.

I've used them for both young and old and they work very well!

Have a great trip!

Instead of washing the waterproof pad if DS has an accident, have you tried the disposables? They are 36 by 36 inches and you can get them at Walgreens or CVS. They are the type that nursing homes use.

Stick a couple in your luggage and you'll save time. They are disposable and great for travel. If you child is a bit embarassed by the problem, they won't have to know that it's drying on the balcony for others to see, expecially in port.

I've used them for both young and old and they work very well!

Have a great trip!

This is a great tip for any famil that deals with this stressful issue!:)

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I forgot about those disposable pads - that might be a good solution. I also bought some new Goodnites boxer style but he wasn't too happy about that. At least with the cruise its only his family that will know. Sleep overs and the week long boy scout camp in which he shares a tent with two other boys is much trickier.

Debbie

I was just online this morning looking for bedwetting solutions (alarm still isn't working). I forget the website, but they now have what appear to be absorbent underwear for nighttime that look like boxer briefs for kids. There is also a disposable pad that can be slipped into the front of the shorts for extra wetting protection.

Archived