Alaska -- Sled Dog excursions question

melissal

WE are on the Millie for 6/6/08 and would be interested in an excursion to see the sled dogs.

Our 14 year old son is autistic and has some physical clumsiness. But he adores animals.

Can anyone tell me about how strenuous these excursions are? WHat about the part where you ride the sled? Is that standing or seated?

An info would be appreciated before I book this excursion.

I think he'd be fine, if he enjoys a speedy ride through the snow. I doubt if he'd be a good candidate for driving the sled, though. You are offered the chance to drive the sled but I don't know if there is an age limit. You certainly don't have to drive the sled if you don't want to. There are 2 sleds tied together with the professional musher driving the lead sled just behind the dogs. One of the guests rides with the musher and another guest "drives" the 2nd sled and the 3rd guest rides with him/her. They stop the sleds mid-way to change drivers, if desired, play with the dogs and take pictures.

It was a thrill of a lifetime for all of us - I wouldn't have missed it for the world. At the end of the ride you can play with the puppies, young sled dogs in trainng which your son would adore.

Good luck - it was, hands down, the best shore excursion we've ever taken.

My husband took our two grandchildren on the ride 2 years old and 5 they love it, they were seated the whole time. They love playing with the dogs after the ride. I think your son would have fun. Teresa

Archived