Americus Cup and Seasickness?

LEtue

I have been wanting to do this excursion for a couple of years now and was all set to book it for our Novmember cruise until....someone warned me about seasickness.

I have never had a problem on a cruise ship - however, I can't go deep sea fishing. Seems the small boats and the "bobbing" like a cork is what causes a problem for me. I often enjoy boat rides into the Gulf of Mexico with friends with no problem so I'm guessing that since we don't stop - I'm fine.

Can anyone tell what their experience has been on this excursion? Sure don't want to be sick out there!

We (husband, myself, and two sons ages 21 and17) did this excursion over Christmas, it was awesome. We still talk about how great it was. No one got seasick the day we went, you are in a large bay. But, the boat does tip to the point where you feel like the boat might end up on its side. I didn't know about this, but it was really exhilarating once you got into it. The people who run the excursion are very friendly and very helpful. I wanted to be bar wench, but they made me captain, which was pretty amusing considering I don't sail!

I really think you will be having so much fun, you won't have time to worry about being seasick.

We (husband, myself, and two sons ages 21 and17) did this excursion over Christmas, it was awesome. We still talk about how great it was. No one got seasick the day we went, you are in a large bay. But, the boat does tip to the point where you feel like the boat might end up on its side. I didn't know about this, but it was really exhilarating once you got into it. The people who run the excursion are very friendly and very helpful. I wanted to be bar wench, but they made me captain, which was pretty amusing considering I don't sail!

I really think you will be having so much fun, you won't have time to worry about being seasick.

Thank you so much for responding! This excursion sounds awesome and I'm going to book it. Tipping doesn't bother me and like I said I have only been seasick out in the middle of the ocean in 15 ft seas - and we were really "bobbing' up and down :eek:

My husband and I just booked the Serenade for next February...without the kids (they will both be off at college). We figured the Serenade ports will keep us busy, so we won't miss them too much :D Would almost like to do the Regatta again, but I am thinking we should see the island.

We did the America's Cup a little over a year ago, and it was definitely a highlight of our trip. I am prone to motion sickness on excursions, and did have a little issue with the sailboats rocking at times. Also, my son was pretty sunburned, and the dehydration caused him to feel sick as well. I am very glad we did the tour, but I would recommend you take medication if you are nevous about motion sicknesd and drink plenty of water (not alcohol).

we just did this excursion a couple of weeks ago. there was no wind so there was no problem with sea sickness. definitely a great time though either way and one of my favorite excursions. Be sure to get on Rob, Ben and Liams boat...Liam is an awesome skipper and makes the experience intense. Tell them The Wendys sent you and don't be bartender unless you want to work up a sweat! I'm pretty sure I was working harder than the people actually sailing the boat!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only time in my life I've ever been seasick was on this tour. I was the "timekeeper," and I got terribly sick -- threw up all over the boat and anyone in my vicinity. I was sick for hours afterward.

I'm on the water all the time -- love boating in general. But the heat, the careening motion and, most terribly, the sitting and rocking did me in on this one. I'll never do it again.

We did this excusion in February. I would equate it with a fast carnival ride. If you can handle that (for about 10 minutes) then you should be okay with the race.

LEtue, I did this excursion for the second time last week, May 30. One person in our party is prone to motion sickness and had no issues. Last week the seas were not bad. I have not witnessed anyone suffering from sea sickness either time. But, as ohhbrother stated he did get sick. Since we all react differently it is hard to tell for sure if you will get sick.

My advice is to go for it and you will have the time of your life.

By the way, we one while onboard True North IV versus Stars and Stripes.

we just did this excursion a couple of weeks ago. there was no wind so there was no problem with sea sickness. definitely a great time though either way and one of my favorite excursions. Be sure to get on Rob, Ben and Liams boat...Liam is an awesome skipper and makes the experience intense. Tell them The Wendys sent you and don't be bartender unless you want to work up a sweat! I'm pretty sure I was working harder than the people actually sailing the boat!

Rob and Ben were sailing together last Friday, May 30, but the skipper was Ernie. Ernie had not won a race in 13 attempts but we brought him in a winner.

You are right, Rob & Ben are great.

I ended up being the main sheet and my elbows hurt for 6 months. I repeatedly pulled the sheet line in for 2 hours. We had a great time. If you do it, hand out drinks! The picture you buy is awesome also.

Oh, my motto was "I don't take no sheet."

We did this excursion in December. I also wanted to be the bar maid but ended up being the main sheet trimmer. This was one of the best excursions we have ever done and are thinking of doing it again. One of our friends gets seasick and she took a bonine and she was fine. Drink lots of water and bring sunscreen and have fun.

Archived