Wheelchair for embark/debark

e050377

Just wondering if wheelchairs are available to help passengers get on and off. My Gram doesn't need one while on board and can walk, but sometimes lines get long and she may get exhausted standing. At the airport we can get a wheelchair for her to the gate. Is this offered at the port? Do I need to request this? There is an option for wheelchair embark/debark under options, is this what i would check or is that for people who already have a wheelchair?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can request this at the port when you get there.

You can also put it in the cruise personalizer - there is a check off for wheel chair assistance for embarkation/disembarkation. Even if you do this, you will need to ask for help when you arrive at the port. You can also request a manual wheel chair for the duration of the cruise to be used while onboard and they will let you take them off at port too. We called 1-800-princess and requested this (reservation of a manual WC for onboard and port use) prior to our last sailing when my DH hurt his knee 3 days before the trip. Thankfully, he didn't need it.

In Port Everglades, there were ship's crew assigned to the wheel chair duty and waiting within the terminal when we got there, lined up like soldiers awaiting their assistance.

Just wondering if wheelchairs are available to help passengers get on and off. My Gram doesn't need one while on board and can walk, but sometimes lines get long and she may get exhausted standing. At the airport we can get a wheelchair for her to the gate. Is this offered at the port? Do I need to request this? There is an option for wheelchair embark/debark under options, is this what i would check or is that for people who already have a wheelchair?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ah, here is a question I can answer for you, at least from my own experience cruising from and to Port Everglades. I was on my first cruise last week, on the CB, with my 77-year old mom, who is like your Gram in that she can walk while on board but needed wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ship.

My stepfather dropped us off at Port Everglades. Mom was able to walk, on her own, into the terminal, and once we got through Security, there was an area with chairs just for people who need wheelchair assistance to board the cruise ship. We had to wait about 15 min. for a wheelchair, but once it arrived, we were whisked right up to the welcoming agent (don't know what they are actually called) and then on to the ship and all the way to our stateroom. Mom was pushed in the wheelchair by a friendly crew member, and I walked behind them.

Getting off the ship was easy as well. We asked where to meet for assistance and were told to go to the Island D. R.

We arrived there at about 8:20 AM, after having breakfast in another dining room. At that point, there was no wait at all for a wheelchair.

We got one immediately and were off the ship before we knew it.

Then we waited outside at the passenger pick-up area for my stepdad to come and get us. There are benches there.

I found the wheelchair service to be wonderful!

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! When are you going and on which ship? Just curious!

Linda

Archived