Norwegian Sky - Any Opinions

I just recently cruised the Dawn to Bermuda (4-27 to 5/4/08) and loved it. I will post a review here shortly.

My wife and I will be down in Southern Fla in December to attend a family fuction and we booked the 4 day Norwegian Sky to the Bahamas.

Any feedback on the ship? Opinions, thoughts, tips, pointers, etc?

Thanks!

Steve

• Administrators
I just recently cruised the Dawn to Bermuda (4-27 to 5/4/08) and loved it. I will post a review here shortly.

My wife and I will be down in Southern Fla in December to attend a family fuction and we booked the 4 day Norwegian Sky to the Bahamas.

Any feedback on the ship? Opinions' date=' thoughts, tips, pointers, etc?

Thanks!

Steve[/quote']

Nobody CAN have informed opinions yet. :) You will see a few folks here and there at CC posting negative comments based on her prior life as the Pride of Aloha, or her most recent CDC Sanitation score as the Pride of Aloha (dated Dec.'07), but those aren't true opinions of the Norwegian Sky, circa summer '08 and after. She's undergoing a major refitting and dry dock prior to launching as the Sky. It will be a new experience this summer, and you should have lots of reports before final payment on your December cruise in case all isn't what you'd wish. I do encourage you to read the reviews from the first few sailings while bearing in mind that a) it's essentially a new ship, b) with a new crew, c) sailing with "kids sail free" this summer, and as such likely will bear no resemblance to a non-summer cruise outside that promotion, once the ship and the crew are adjusted.

Have a great time!

MichellP brings up a very good point. The Sky is in the process of being retrofitted from the Pride of Aloha back to the Norweigan Sky.

To those sailing, or planning to sail on the Sky, here is something important to remember:

As the Pride of Aloha, she had an All American crew. As the Sky, she will have an International Crew.

Please do not base your opinion of the Sky on the service reviews of her as the POA.... completely different crew make-ups.

Now, you can look ask former POA cruisers about cabin sizes, restaurants and amenities like that as it is doubtful they will change.

Thank you all for your input.

I will keep my finger to CC's pulse as the months go by to see what those have to say about the re-birth of the Sky.

I am aware that she will have a different crew, itinerary, etc.

One thing I have learned is that I will read all opinions and then form my own.

When I read all the Dawn reviews, there were a decent % of negative ones, but my wife and I absolutely loved our cruise and we are both looking foward to being on her for may cruises to come.

Thanks again,

Steve

One thing I have learned is that I will read all opinions and then form my own.

Steve

Yeah, you have the right idea. I wish more people understood that that is how you should do it.

It is also a proven fact that people will more often write a review or go to a message board with negative reviews or complaints than those who had no complaints or had a great time. As a result, you should cut the number of negative reviews & comments by 1/2 to get a clearer percentage of positive vs. negative reviews of anything.

Have a great time.

I sailed the Pride of Aloha in Oct. 2007.

The ship is beautiful. Or was beautiful, with all her Aloha trappings. Lots of colorful carpets and warm woods. Not old or worn looking at all when I sailed her. I don't know if NCL's refurb has ruined her Spirit or not (pun intended).

According to an officer I spoke to, she was originally planned to be an Italian sailing ship, but was sold to NCL instead ... hence the marble floors and other niceties one would expect on an Italian ship (the Italians know how to do "cool").

Very attractive multi-deck atrium with glass elevators;

Beautiful lounge, and adjacent outside deck facing the bow; Great for watching the ship come and go from port.

excellent aft outdoor dining area, with grill etc., just past the buffet area; loved it for breakfast "au naturel";

5th hot tub (on the afore-mentioned outside deck facing the bow) ... very private late-night spot ... ahem;

excellent "longboard sports bar" ... best sports bar I've seen on ANY ship (don't know if the Sky will have changed this);

excellent "for pay" dining room next to the longboard sports bar;

I loved sailing on her, and I totally do NOT understand all the negative press ... she's a beautiful ship, and her staff I found to be just fine, no worse than any other cruise I've done, and better than some.

Frankly, I am VERY unhappy that NCL pulled her from sailing Hawaii, ... a superb itinerary & now no longer available. But this is not NCL's fault, it's due to arcane and intent-defeating U.S. maritime laws that sorely need to be re-visited;

She's not a mega-HUGE ship, but plenty big enough.

I would sail her again in a heartbeat (and I am quite demanding).

In my opinion she will be under-utilized doing 3 & 4 day Bahama jaunts. A much better ship than the type usually used for this type of sailing.

Put away your apprehensions ... unless you are a Grinch, you'll enjoy her.

Hope this helps.

Archived