Should I buy travel insurance?

CruiseFever

Do you buy travel insurance  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy travel insurance

• Yes
    • No

Chris,

We cruised for ten years and never spent a dime on insurance. Figured that if something happened then what the heck.

In 2000 we started buying insurance because of a lot more variables i.e. family considerations, married kids, more grand kids, older parents, older us.

My advice would be that purchasing insurance depends on your tolerance level to possible change.

We will be on the Golden from San Juan on Sunday will look for your reply while on board! Yes, we are insured for this cruise.

Rod

We always buy insurance, the first time we only had a $200.00 for a visit to the medical office on ship (daughter had a reaction to lobster) It was only $200.00 but I was glad to have it covered.

We were cruising last week on vacation and our trip was delayed because of Jeanne so our insurance will cover all our expenses (hotel, car, food and I'm not sure if it will cover one less day on the ship).

One passanger had to be air lifted off the ship when we were sailing to Costa Maya due to a heart attack. I hope she had purchased the insurance because I have heard that the cost is about $12,000.00.

I dont miss the money it cost for the insurance because I just consider part of the price of cruising like for port charges, taxes, tipping etc. Just something you have to pay. It makes me sleep better know I have it.

Yes, I buy insurance - but I shop around for the best coverage at best price.

1. Medicare does not cover our seniors if you are out of the country. Check to see if your supplimental insurance will make up the gap - My parent's doesn't. So, we buy good travel insurance when they travel.

2. As sure as I didn't buy it, something would happen! So, if it wards off problems, so much the better!

-Nancy

Insurance is a personal decision. As for me I have elder parents, and that's a major consideration in my purchasing of it.

As far as being financially able to loose one's vacation money, I think there's more to it than that --- i.e., I don't know of too many people whos finances won't take a serious hit in paying for a non insured med-vac flight out of the islands back to mainland US. And all of those helicopters you hear of and see taking people off of a ship --- they are neither cheap nor are they free!!

I feel that for us, it would be fiscally irresponsible to not purchase insurance. We have taken many cruises where we haven't purchased insurance and luckily have never had a problem. However, since we aren't getting any younger, and I have an elderly mother, it made me start to think of what could happen. I have purchased insurance for our last 2 cruises, and just purchased insurance today for our Thanksgiving cruise.

As many have said above, you can have an unexpected medical emergency at any age. I'll gladly pay the insurance cost to have the peace of mind that if something were to happen, that we wouldn't have to be concerned that a decision made in an emergency, could possibly bankrupt us, or that heaven forbid, we might have to fight with our medical insurance company upon returning home, if a medical emergency occured while traveling.

We had ALWAYS purchased the cancellation insurance; however, in 2001, we were booked on a cruise to Hawaii aboard the Indepedence, when my husband lost his job just a month before our scheduled departure. :eek: Needless to say, we didn't think going on a family cruise to Hawaii was the smartest thing to do at that time, but when we tried to get a refund, that reason wasn't one that qualified us for one, and when we looked at the list of reasons, it was apparent they could worm their way out of almost anything. My husband had had heart problems in the past, and that was the main reason we had purchased the insurance to begin with, but saw in the small print that any "preexisting condition" would not be covered either. That was the last time I purchased the insurance. By the way, we went ahead and went and actually had a wonderful time. -- Cheryl

A couple of weeks ago my co-worker (late 30's) had to cancel a cruise because they found out her teenage daughter had a brain tumor 4 days before they were to leave. Unfortunately, they did not buy insurance and will loose their money. They are young, healthy, and their parents are not that old or in poor health. This was not their first cruise. My guess is, they will ALWAYS buy insurance in the future.

I do, if one of us gets ill, or someone in our family gets ill at home, I never want "cost" to keep us from cutting our vacation short.

I've read of similar situations with people here on the boards who did not purchase the insurance, and it sounded like the cruise lines (RCCL was mentioned) worked with them to book another future date. I hope things work out for your friend. -- Cheryl

Although, you sympathize with a person's situation, the extent or severity of it (death or sickness of a family member, etc.) should not be a justification for the cruise line to "do something". Two points: Actuarial tables and insurance rates are based upon treating all individuals fairly and equally; and, if an event is insurable, and one does not have insurance, and still gets reimbursed, then why the heck should the rest of us buy insurance to begin with??

It's not a matter of being unsympathetic. It's a matter of business reality, and the consequences of one's actions by NOT getting the insurance to begin with.

PLEASE PROTECT YOURSELF and buy the insurance.

Here is our frightening story. Just last month, Mom (65yo) & I traveling transatlantic, when she fell, hit her head on tile floor in our bathroom, became unconscious, ship's doctor evaluated her(COST out of pocket from ship $2,000), brought to small hospital in Newfoundland once we hit land for first evaluation, (COST $1,600 out of pocket), transferred to Trauma center for 6 nights ICU (COST ??????? THANK GOD, no money needed out of pocket, as they accepted cruise ship insurance), hotel stay, food, taxi to hospital - (COST $1,800 out of pocket), Shipped via Lear jet back to US, (COST THANK GOD nothing out of pocket, as the bill was $63,000 just for the flight and medical care on board.) Once back in the US, mom's regular insurance has been covering everything. Additional cost of shipping luggage from cruise back to US, was $450 (4 suitcases).

Total out of pocket expenses I needed to pay were over $6,000, even though I had the cruise ship insurance and also "upgraded it". I never even considered the additional out of pocket money needed in a situation like ours.

I was shocked and surprised that the ambulance, the cruise ship and the first hospital would not bill our travel insurance company directly. Thank goodness for credit cards. Yet,the physician in the ER at the first hospital was demanding I pay him CANADIAN CASH, before my mother was transported to trauma center. He refused US or credit card.

Mom is doing better, FOUR brain hemorrhages, fractured eye, sinus and facial bones all from the fall. She is at home recovering and awaiting surgery in November.

Message to everyone...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, buy the insurance, but also have the extra funds available just in case an accident like this happens. This could have happened to anyone, at any age.

Safe travels, Debbie

Holy smoke, Debbie! That's incredible! Best wishes to your mom. After reading the boards, I'm definitely going to get some type of travel medical/evacuation insurance for our upcoming cruise to Mexico. As long as we can get back to California, then our own insurance can kick in. I will, however, never buy the cancellation insurance again because, in my experience (and Consumer Reports agrees with me), it rarely covers anything.

... and Richard - FYI - Cancellation insurance is supposed to return funds. RCCL has, in the past, rescheduled for a dire situation such as Cometgirl's friend's. That is obviously not the same as refunding money.

... and Richard - FYI - Cancellation insurance is supposed to return funds. RCCL has, in the past, rescheduled for a dire situation such as Cometgirl's friend's. That is obviously not the same as refunding money.

I agree with you, as long as people have grounded expectations -- e.g., I'm sure that they may be responsive to rescheduling one, if one chooses another time were there is a lot of availability, the cabin prices have not increased, and such. HOWEVER, trying getting rescheduled to a nearly full ship, at peak times, where cabin prices have gone up, etc., no matter how dire the situation.............

Our group was just on the most recent 5-day Caribbean Princess. Although we ALWAYS purchase travel insurance, I "encouraged" the other two families that were both "first time cruisers" to do the same. Luckily, they did. We ended up staying at the Embassy Suites for two extra nights at $166 per night (they gave all of us my AAA rate), plus paying for all of our food for two full extra days, most of which were at the hotel because we couldn't leave because of the weather (not cheap!!). We did call Travelex and we were told that we will be reimbursed for our hotel and our food. One of them is a single Mom with one son and the other one is a newly married couple raising her 5-year-old. This cruise was "dream trip" for all of them and they sure didn't have the extra money for the hotel nights and food. They're all extremely happy that I "pushed" the insurance!!! And...they're all young and healthy!!! This will be our first claim with travel insurance but you just never know!!! My Mom had to use hers once because her friend became ill and couldn't go with us on our Alaska cruise so Mom's paid for her Single Supplement.

A cruise line might well reschedule someone's cruise as a goodwill gesture, but this may also depend on things you don't know about. Obviously, the line will be much more willing to reschedule if the original cruise was and remains overbooked, and the person now wants to go on one which has fewer bookings than expected. But ultimately rescheduling could cost the cruise line money if rescheduling means that they sail with an empty cabin on the original cruise, and the new cruise now has one fewer cabin to sell because it's been taken up by the rescheduled pax.

Seeing as one can insure against most problems, it's totally unfair to criticise the cruise line if they decide that in the circumstances of a particular case they will not reschedule that person's cruise and they lose their money - it was, after all, exactly the risk that the person decided to take when they made the decision not to buy insurance.

A cruise line might well reschedule someone's cruise as a goodwill gesture, but this may also depend on things you don't know about. Obviously, the line will be much more willing to reschedule if the original cruise was and remains overbooked, and the person now wants to go on one which has fewer bookings than expected. But ultimately rescheduling could cost the cruise line money if rescheduling means that they sail with an empty cabin on the original cruise, and the new cruise now has one fewer cabin to sell because it's been taken up by the rescheduled pax.

Seeing as one can insure against most problems, it's totally unfair to criticise the cruise line if they decide that in the circumstances of a particular case they will not reschedule that person's cruise and they lose their money - it was, after all, exactly the risk that the person decided to take when they made the decision not to buy insurance.

I must be missing something, because I haven't seen anyone criticize any of the cruise lines on this thread whatsoever. -- Cheryl

I must be missing something, because I haven't seen anyone criticize any of the cruise lines on this thread whatsoever.
No but we've had a number of oblique references to the times when the cruise lines have been criticised, and to the arguments deployed when they are.

...for one out of 8 cruises. I have one coming up in less than 2 weeks, no insurance. For the cruise in 2005, I purchased insurance. For me, it was a combination of factors that made me choose insurance this time. The air fare alone for the cruise that I purchased insurance for is estimated to be over $1700. Additionally while our bill usually is only about $6K, this time it figures about $12K...so I'd like to protect it--it's two vacations! Besides, now I've read all the scare stories, and both our parents are 75+. I think if I were going on vacation for a week to 10 days, or close to home with a bill less than$5K, I wouldn't purchase insurance...I'd just eat the cost. Insurance is only for the loses you really can't afford to lose. Insurance is not cheap, and I think, should be used judiciously. Not every vacation requires insurance--nor should it. Yep, it's sort of like russian roulette. But insurance companies wouldn't be in business, if they always lost money either.

We usually purchase travel insurance as well, but primarily for the coverage associated with our kids' caregivers.

It's pretty tough to find someone to stay with two kids for extended periods of time. So if our babysitters (grandma and grandpa) suddenly can't sit..then we can cancel if we aren't able to find substitutes.

We use Travelex.

While many of you list valid reasons for buying, I have not done so yet. Our flights and hotels (pre and post) are non-cash using frequent travelers perks. Our cruises have been affordable as we get an inside cabin and shop around for great rates. Our last three cruises have been to Alaska where our health insurance covers us. In considering a cruise on Tahitian Princess for 2006, we will consider it as we will be out of the health plan. I do not insure my non-cruise vacations unless we are out of the country and only for medical emergencies, so we will probably buy for French Polynesia.

I never used to purchase the insurance. My wife and I were scheduled to go on a anniversary cruise in May. Since my parents booked the trip and not us, they purchased the insurance. Turns out, my father-in-law had a heart attack the night before we were supposed to leave, so we had to cancel our trip. The insurance covered the whole trip minus the insurance fee. I won't travel without insurance again, because you never can tell what's going to happen.

we too in our younger years traveled withour insurance but as we got older and started booking so far in advance we started and will continue to buy insurance just for peace of mind.

Travel Insurance for other trips besides cruises are a must also. Just recently one of my friends was scheduled to go to australia for three weeks, to the tune of 20K Travel insure was hefty 500 per person (there were three of them) Then two days before they were to leave the wife ended up in the ER with a hot gall baldder..Trip canceld and money refunded..Moral of the story was Buy travel insurance

I think if I were going on vacation for a week to 10 days, or close to home with a bill less than$5K, I wouldn't purchase insurance...I'd just eat the cost. Insurance is only for the loses you really can't afford to lose. Insurance is not cheap, and I think, should be used judiciously. Not every vacation requires insurance--nor should it.

The key to that is loses each individual can't afford to lose; it's all relative.

Every vacation -- or every cruise anyhow -- for us requires insurance to our mind, because we work hard to save up the money to go. But even *if* we could afford to eat $5k on a lost trip, we'd probably still buy insurance; it's a pittance compared to losing all the money invested, not to mention the piece of mind in having it.

I am sitting here at the computer while my cruise ship is in St. Thomas. My husband and I were driving to Florida when my mother phoned to tell me that my uncle had a heart attack and was going in for bypass sugrery. The doctor said he was a poor candidate and had a good chance of not making it through surgery. We turned around and came home. Insurance does not cover uncles. I called Princess and offered to rebook a more expensive trip if they would give me just a portion of my money as credit. Other than my husband and children, I only have 3 relatives so my uncle is an important part of my life.

Springhill Suites let us rebook our hotel rooms, so they will be getting our business again but I cannot say as much for Princess. They were very unsympathetic and as much as said TOUGH LUCK!

We are going to Africa in January. Our insurance was only $99 each and covers not only uncles but death or illness of pets as well. The cruise industry should take notes.

I am sitting here at the computer while my cruise ship is in St. Thomas. My husband and I were driving to Florida when my mother phoned to tell me that my uncle had a heart attack and was going in for bypass sugrery. The doctor said he was a poor candidate and had a good chance of not making it through surgery. We turned around and came home. Insurance does not cover uncles. I called Princess and offered to rebook a more expensive trip if they would give me just a portion of my money as credit. Other than my husband and children, I only have 3 relatives so my uncle is an important part of my life.

Springhill Suites let us rebook our hotel rooms, so they will be getting our business again but I cannot say as much for Princess. They were very unsympathetic and as much as said TOUGH LUCK!

We are going to Africa in January. Our insurance was only $99 each and covers not only uncles but death or illness of pets as well. The cruise industry should take notes.

I'm sorry for your Uncle, but despite the emotions that are present a gut check of reality is important also.

1. In retrospect, with your Uncle being such an important part of your life, you probably should have check the policy before you purchased it to see that Uncles/Aunts were covered.

2. If an exception was given for you (your Uncle) what's to say that Aunts, Cousins, Bosses (well, forget bosses), etc., can't be covered for others. Insurance coverage, and actuarial rates, only work if applied fairly and uniformly to all.

Again, sorry about your Uncle..........but I side with Princess on this one!!

Archived