Should I buy travel insurance?

CruiseFever

Do you buy travel insurance  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy travel insurance

• Yes
    • No

My hubby and I are cruising with my sister and her hubby. Yesterday her hubbys doctor told him he was sending him for some Nuclear heart tests on Fri. Hopefully things go good. If not, thank god we have cruise insurance. At least we can use the money to cruise another day. Ya never know. Murphys Law and all !!!!!!!!!!! I know they say its a stupid buy but if you had my luck, you'd run to the nearest insurance/extended service. Take my $2000.00 refrigerator. Please, no kidding aside, Did you ever hear of the door falling off. Well, 4 yrs after we bought it, it happened. No one believes us except those who were around. We had the extended warrenty. We had an Amana refrig-condenser blew up, 13 mo dishwasher-motor burnt, Panasonic VCR-11 mo breakdown-couldn't fix, Circuit City gave us back our money, etc etc. So, whats a little extra on the cruise. Believe me, it could happen to you. Hopefully not.

As an individual who has actually had to leave the ship after 3 days into an 11 day cruise due to a unexpected death in the family back home, you can bet I was glad I had cruise insurance. The claims that "I'm healthy, I'm young, I'm not accident prone, etc. didn't apply in this case. Some things are out of your control.

I was prorated for unused days on the cruise, the cost of the flight back as well as some incidental expenses. No issues at all with TravelGuard--it just took a few days to compile all of the documents and the cruise line (Celebrity) was the big holdup. The insurer required a letter from the cruise line stating I had to leave the cruise early (Can't blame the insurer for this requirement). Unfortunately, I didn't get this before I departed the ship so I called Celebrity's Customer Service Department. The individual there stated that they didn't write such letters. I asked what department would handle such a request other than Customer Service to which he had no reply. Eventually got my TA to get a letter from the cruise line and the refund was enough to book a cruise the following year. So much for my Celebrity slam!!!!

I always tell people if they can afford to write off the cost of the cruise, airfare, any medical expenses, which could be astronomical, and a multitude of other incidental expenses that are incurred while preparing for or leaving from a cruise, then don't buy insurance. If you can't risk this then spend the few extra bucks and get the insurance. Peace of mind is worth the extra few $$$.

I'm 48 and never expected to have breast cancer this year. Fortunately for us we took out cancer insurance last year when it was first offered to us at work. This December will be the third cruise we've been on and on each, we've had insurance. For what it costs, you can't beat it if for some unknown reason you have to use it.

I never use to buy it , then we had booked a cruise and the line went bankrupt. Fortunately, American Express took off the cost and handled the issue. But alot of people posted that there credit cards did not refund their cruise cost.

And that is just one thing that could happen, on another planned cruise I was called for jury duty, was told that if selected would have to explain circumstances and then it would be decided whether or not I would be excused from jury duty. I wasn't selected but I could have been and an excuse could have been denied.

Those are just a few reasons, I hate to spend the extra but it is like any other insurance, when something happens all of a sudden you are really glad you have it even though you hated putting out the money.

It depends on where I'm embarking. I live near a port city and if I hope on the boat from there, then no, I don't buy the insurance. But when I'm having to fly to the port city, then DEFINATELY, I get the travel insurance. I've worked in a travel claims department before and when people call with heartbreaking stories of how something bad happened, all you can say is sorry. Nothing can be done for you, even in the most extreme cases something still couldn't be done.

I think it's so much cheaper to spend the initial money than potentially spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to correct something on your own. IMHO.

• 3 months later...

After never buying the insurance because like "Suze Orman" thought it was a waste, I will never , ever go on another trip without it. We were on a Princess Cruise (never again) in November when my husband was hit snorkeling by a jet ski in Jamaica. Freak accident and never expected. He was also air lifted off the island into Miami and spent many days in Intensive Care. I cant tell you how important it is to have the insurance. You cannot get back to a hospital in the US without proof of health insurance, so bring your insurance cards with you off the ship, even if you are on a beach. Also like the woman in Newfoundland, I was also expected to pay for the care in Jamaica before I left (2000) and I had to pay a 10,000 lear jet bill. Luckily these were eventually taken care of by my health insurance, but if I had had the trip insurance it would have been alot easier and my (hotel, meals) expenses probably would have been taken care of. Please never think "it cant happen to me". We learned the hard way.

We had ALWAYS purchased the insurance for every trip (both cruise and land vacation) we had taken until a few years ago. Four short weeks prior to a cruise to Hawaii, my husband was downsized from his position with a company, and when we checked into cancelling the cruise, that wasn't covered. When I checked the "small print" carefully, there was actually very little that would be covered. We went ahead and went (Darn! :D ) and had the time of our lives, but that's another story.

My parents had a similar incident when they were to cruise just a week after 9/11/01. Of course, all of the airports were a mess, and they were going to have trouble even getting to their ship; however, when they tried to cancel, they found that "terrorist acts" were not covered. Any type of medical problem that the insurance company deems to be a "preexisting condition" is also not covered.

It's fairly easy to see why Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the travel insurance, and I haven't bought it since. That's just my experience and perogative, but ya gotta do whatever you're comfortable with.

Very interesting reading thru this whole thread. I have never been a cheerleader for insurance in the past...however, both our upcoming cruises are insured. I evaluate each trip and then decide whether to insure based on cost, possible weather, etc. However, we're older...my in-laws are older...we're booking a year or more out...so things are changing as we get older.

Being informed is a MUST before purchasing travel insurance. "Pre-existing" conditions ARE covered by most insurance companies....provided you read their policies and purchase within their guidelines (usually within 10-21 days of booking). Also "Terrorism" IS covered by some companies and not by others. A website like www.insuremytravel.com is an excellent tool for comparing insurance companies before purchasing.

One question...if you are insured and have a medical catastrophe as some have described....what do you do if you don't have the thousands that these people had to pay "out-of-pocket"?

Deb

[quote=

One question...if you are insured and have a medical catastrophe as some have described....what do you do if you don't have the thousands that these people had to pay "out-of-pocket"?

Deb

Show your health insurance card, trip insurance card, and charge it on your credit card. I have wondered the same thing. Hope I never have to find out. There are many threads that have stories about people that had or did not have trip insurance and the problems they had and the money they had to spend, if they did not have insurance.

We purchased insurance for our last cruise, and will probably do so in the future. Though we have never used it (except for once), I believe it's a good thing to have. On our cruise 1/22/05 on the Diamond Princess, the ship stopped in Cabo to let an ill woman off (rumor was she had a ruptured appendix). We also spoke with a woman whose mother fell and broke her leg. We also witnessed a woman who fell and security was there helping her situation. We also saw a few people with casts or braces on their arms. One gentleman went diving and got stung by jelly fish which he was allergic to. On the Elation, my DH had a severe inner and outter ear infection. The ships doctor took care of him, and the bill was cheap and we did not turn it in to our insurance company. Our travel insurance was around $90.00 and no worries.

Thanks for the insurance posts these messages woke me up.I'm going on the Grand Feb. 26 and jumped on a CSA policy yesterday and slept better last night. I guess I didn't really understand what these policies cover and it is remarkable what coverage you get for little money. I hope I don't have a claim, but I'm going to enjoy the cruise much more knowing my accident prone wife and I are covered..thanks again for the info.

After never buying the insurance because like "Suze Orman" thought it was a waste, I will never , ever go on another trip without it. We were on a Princess Cruise (never again) in November when my husband was hit snorkeling by a jet ski in Jamaica. Freak accident and never expected. He was also air lifted off the island into Miami and spent many days in Intensive Care. I cant tell you how important it is to have the insurance. You cannot get back to a hospital in the US without proof of health insurance, so bring your insurance cards with you off the ship, even if you are on a beach. Also like the woman in Newfoundland, I was also expected to pay for the care in Jamaica before I left (2000) and I had to pay a 10,000 lear jet bill. Luckily these were eventually taken care of by my health insurance, but if I had had the trip insurance it would have been alot easier and my (hotel, meals) expenses probably would have been taken care of. Please never think "it cant happen to me". We learned the hard way.

Why "never again" on Princess? I understand why you will purchase insurance (who wouldn't?), but your post does not make clear why you will not sail Princess again.

I have mentioned this in other posts--and obviously I am in the minority--but I don't buy travel insurance bascially for the reasons articulated by Suze O (and why does she spell her name like than anyway?) I don't buy it becaue I think the cost is very expensive relative to the cost/value of what is being insured. Obviously, if I get sick, have transportation issues, etc. then I am on my own and have no reason to complain. But I think most detractors believe that the cost of travel insurance is too high for what you are protecting. I can't quite remember but when we took our Alaksan Cruise Tour last year, I think the TA offered us insurance at a cost of a couple of hundred dollars per person, for about a $5000 vacation. So for me, the insurance would have cost about 8% of the cost of the trip. Now I will say, that I did not shop around for other coverage, which could possibly have been cheaper--so I do acknowledge having limitted personal experience with this. The other thing I will mention is that everyone has a different tolerance for risk and everyone has a different financial situation. If I could absolutely not afford to lose $5000 under any circumstance, then the insurance would be more attractive to me. But in short, I believe the probability of me missing a cruise (or having one disrupted) is so small, that insurance is not a good use of my money. ANyway--my thoughts--I know they differ from most.

The risk is small - That's why insurance companies make so much money.:)

That said - I have decided to take out a small policy for evacuation/medical insurance while out of the country. This is actually VERY affordable, and would take care of our medical until we got back to the states and our own coverage would kick in. As far as the cruise goes, however, if I were unable to go for some reason, I would feel VERY VERY bad :(, but it wouldn't financially devastate me. A medical emergency out of the country would have a much more detrimental effect.

I'll buy insurance whether I can afford to lose the "cruise cost" or not. The cruise cost is minor in comparison to the costs incurred in a foreign country where your insurance is not honored and you need emergency medical care. However inferior we may believe health systems in other countries may (or may not) be - when our lives are in danger we will seek out any source and those sources will often demand upfront payment. We here in the U.S. must treat anyone who arrives at our emergency department doors without consideration of whether they are able to pay for services or not. This is not true in foreign countries.

My only hope is that they would accept a credit card and it would not be "maxed" out the first day. A lear jet costs $10,000 you say....

I'll buy insurance whether I can afford to lose the "cruise cost" or not. The cruise cost is minor in comparison to the costs incurred in a foreign country where your insurance is not honored and you need emergency medical care. However inferior we may believe health systems in other countries may (or may not) be - when our lives are in danger we will seek out any source and those sources will often demand upfront payment. We here in the U.S. must treat anyone who arrives at our emergency department doors without consideration of whether they are able to pay for services or not. This is not true in foreign countries.

My only hope is that they would accept a credit card and it would not be "maxed" out the first day. A lear jet costs $10,000 you say....

While this is true, again, I would say the probability of it happening is very small. I have heard similar arguments as posted above, and yes a Lear Jet may cost $10,000 (probably more)---but in almost every medical situation, such an evacuation is extremely unlikely (yes--it can happen). I think it is far more likely that one would need to get off the ship, go to the airport and take a commercial flight back home for any necesary medical treatment--so the cost would be whatever a full fare coach ticket would be---certainly less than $10,000. I can't possibly argue that in a worst case, there would not be the potential for some astronomical costs to be incurred. I don't know this, but I would also guess that in a true emergency, most US Insurance Carriers would reimburse the insured for care required out of the country---again, I could be wrong about this. The insured may be required to pony up the $$ upfront and then request reimbursement, but I would suspect that he/she would be reimbursed. Finally, I would share one "emergeency" situation I was involved in while visiting London about three years ago with my then 9 year old daughter. My daughter fell and "busted open" her chin--I took her to a hospital emergency room and she was treated---had her chin stitched up. I did not know it at the time, but I was at a "public" hospital, and when I asked about paying, I was told there was no charge. I knew that UK residents received free health care, but assumed that I (an American) would not be accorded that privlage. My guess is that visit to an American Emergency room for similar treatment would have cost $100-$200. My point being--just because you are in a foreign country and need medical care, it does not mean it will be: (a) unavailable, (b) be expensive, or © be of low quality.

How many times have we read on this board about someone whining that the cruiseline would not refund their money because they were unable to cruise because of bad weather, death in family, surgery, etc. Too many to count!

Peace of mind is worth the the amount of insurance you buy.

How many times have we read on this board about someone whining that the cruiseline would not refund their money because they were unable to cruise because of bad weather, death in family, surgery, etc. Too many to count!

I personally have been reading the boards for quite awhile, and haven't seen anyone whining. You really need to learn to be tolerant of other people's opinions when they differ from yours. You like having the insurance -- Good for you -- You buy that insurance. Don't expect everyone to feel the same way. Your comment is just meant to be inflammatory -- It does nothing to add to this thread in any type of beneficial way.

I think it depends on the cost of "peace of mind". If "peace of mind" is too expensive, then I think it perfectly rational to live with the risk--so long as you are informed, and understand the consequences of your actions. As you mentioned, and as I did in my earlier post, if I fell victim to a large unreimbursable expense becaue I did not buy insurance, then I have no right to complain. That's fair.

I personally have been reading the boards for quite awhile, and haven't seen anyone whining. You really need to learn to be tolerant of other people's opinions when they differ from yours. You like having the insurance -- Good for you -- You buy that insurance. Don't expect everyone to feel the same way. Your comment is just meant to be inflammatory -- It does nothing to add to this thread in any type of beneficial way.
Trust me, there are regular outbreaks of "I didn't buy insurance, my mum died, I couldn't go on the cruise and THE DAMN CRUISE LINE WON'T REFUND MY MONEY!" Stick around for long enough and you'll see them, like clockwork.

There is an active thread as we speak that illustrates exactly this situation. Y

Trust me, there are regular outbreaks of "I didn't buy insurance, my mum died, I couldn't go on the cruise and THE DAMN CRUISE LINE WON'T REFUND MY MONEY!" Stick around for long enough and you'll see them, like clockwork.

Amen to that!

I think it depends on the cost of "peace of mind". If "peace of mind" is too expensive, then I think it perfectly rational to live with the risk--so long as you are informed, and understand the consequences of your actions. As you mentioned, and as I did in my earlier post, if I fell victim to a large unreimbursable expense becaue I did not buy insurance, then I have no right to complain. That's fair.

I completely agree - Like I said earlier - I don't buy the cancellation insurance (it rarely covers anything anyway); however, I am buying evacuation insurance because I don't particularly want my family to be treated in Mexico if there's a problem, and that's more money than I would care to ante up. Thanks to some helpful posters here, I was even able to find an insurer who covers preexisting conditions, international medical, and evacuation insurance for very little $$.

Archived