Confused about tipping on Rhapsody

I'm a bit confused about tipping on a cruise. I'm booked on Rhapsody of the seas 19/10/08, and although I understand the gratituities fee will be paid when I board, I'm confused as to whether this fee covers ALL tipping or is there an expectation to tip above and beyond the gratituities.

fee?

I don't mind paying the gratituity fee as from what I understand the staff are paid quite minimal wages, but I'm not a fan of tipping on top of that again, unless of course the service provided warrants extra.

Also I understand that there is an extra 15% gratituity added to drinks, are there any other add ons aside from the drinks?

Look forward to your tips (pardon the pun, but I couldn't resist)

:)

I'm a bit confused about tipping on a cruise. I'm booked on Rhapsody of the seas 19/10/08, and although I understand the gratituities fee will be paid when I board, I'm confused as to whether this fee covers ALL tipping or is there an expectation to tip above and beyond the gratituities.

fee?

I don't mind paying the gratituity fee as from what I understand the staff are paid quite minimal wages, but I'm not a fan of tipping on top of that again, unless of course the service provided warrants extra.

Also I understand that there is an extra 15% gratituity added to drinks, are there any other add ons aside from the drinks?

I had the option of paying them when we booked, which I did to get it all out of the way. Not sure how they are added to your account on onboard Rhapsody. I have only experienced the autotip (AWS) being added to your account on each day that applies on Princess & P&O. Posts on the RCCL board mention filling a form to elect it being added to the account in full near the end of the cruise, or paid individually in cash.

There is generally no expectation to tip over and above. That side is personal and will depend on your preference, your budget and how you feel about the level of service.

Yes 15% extra for the drinks. I am unsure if there is an obligation for tipping room service and at the specialty restaurants, the site says all other gratuities are discretionary.

From the Royal Caribbean site:

What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guest

Stateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guest

Assistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guest

Headwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion.

A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

When we sailed with Celebrity which is the parent of RCCL (so I assume the same) we prepaid our tips when we booked. At the end of the cruise we were given little slips saying that we had prepaid. Wasn't sure if we were to keep or to give to the people, so we gave them. Were also told by someone that the staff knew that we had prepaid anyway.

About 1/2 way throught the cruise if you hadn't prepaid you could fill out a form and they would deduct the suggested tipping amount in one lump sum at the end. There wasn't the option to increase or decrease.

If you use any of the spa or hairdresser services they also add on the 15%, plus those and the bars have a space on the receipt to add extra if you feel so inclined.

Room services is free but it seems to be the common thing to give the person who delivers a couple of dollars tips.

fee?

We have just booked on the same cruise (are you on the Roll Call?) and we prepaid our tips at the time of booking - it is one thing now we don't have to worry about.

With regards to the extra when buying drinks - we will just have to use our brains to calculate, everytime we order one (which could get difficult as the night goes on!)

I just asked my travel agent about tipping on Rhapsody and was told once you pay the upfront tips there is no need to worry and the 15% is auto added to the drinks. They said that at the end when you are handed envelopes you can decide if there are staff you would like to leave a tip for and put it in the envelopes with their names. But they said other than that we don't need to think about it at all.

But I am still really looking forward to hearing from others who travel before me what their experience is.

Glenda

Thank you all for responding, I have a much better understanding of it now. I didn't get it added when I booked as my t/a said it was better if I paid when I got on the ship (no idea why he said that, but there you go, I wish I'd prepaid when I booked like most of you have :( ), never mind I'll pay it on the ship.

Ladyoftherib, no I'm not on the roll call now (that's different to the meet and mingle isn't it?), but I plan do plan to join it.

Thanks again for the help

Cheers:)

Archived