SS United States

I just saw a really interesting tv show about the SS United States on PBS. It interviewed people who sailed on her, worked on her, and some of the family of the original designers & captain.

The show was called "SS United States: Lady in Waiting". As they say, "check your local listings," or you can find some information on the show on the website of the production company:

http://www.bigshipfilms.com/

Definitely check it out, whether you are know a lot about the SS United States, or like me, really only knew about her from seeing threads pop up here on Cruise Critic asking if she will ever be revitalized- and yes, that question is addressed on the show.

Another good source for information about the ship is The SS United States Conservancy:

http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org

Saw the PBS presentation. It is a shame that this monument to American ingenuity may suffer the fate of the SS France/Norway. I an remember working in Brooklyn and watching this ship come into port. What a sight. I would love to see this become a Cruise ship.

Unfortunately, there is no chance that the United States will ever see any kind of service again. The ship was too expensive to operate even with a huge government subsidy; in today's economy there is no way it could be profitable. Also, the hull is basically gutted. Virtually all the interior is gone. Many of the mechanical components have been removed for one reason or another. A friend, a mechanical engineer has actually done some work on the hulk and says it is so rotten that major hull repairs are needed soon. In addition, in a market where the 100,000 Ton ship will soon be considered an average or smaller vessel, a 44,000 Ton ship would have a tough time competing even if it was not incredibly expensive to run. In my opinion, NCL and its parent Star are just waiting for the heat to lower from the Hawaii fiasco to send it to the ship breakers.

Sad, but realistic...............

Doc:(

Unfortunately, there is no chance that the United States will ever see any kind of service again. The ship was too expensive to operate even with a huge government subsidy; in today's economy there is no way it could be profitable. Also, the hull is basically gutted. Virtually all the interior is gone. Many of the mechanical components have been removed for one reason or another. A friend, a mechanical engineer has actually done some work on the hulk and says it is so rotten that major hull repairs are needed soon. In addition, in a market where the 100,000 Ton ship will soon be considered an average or smaller vessel, a 44,000 Ton ship would have a tough time competing even if it was not incredibly expensive to run. In my opinion, NCL and its parent Star are just waiting for the heat to lower from the Hawaii fiasco to send it to the ship breakers.

Sad, but realistic...............

Doc:(

Would any one trust what Colin Veitch has to say after the S.S. Norway and Independence Fiasco. The S.S. United States would be better suited as an American Maritime Museum.

I think the biggest thing working against the United States right now is the fact that scrap steel is selling for over $550 per ton.

Also, I agree totally that old Colin is not a man who has demonstrated that he is exactly trustworthy when dealing with the older ships.:mad:

Doc:mad:

Sad, but realistic...............Doc:(

All that is working against her.... plus all the dangerous and toxic materials that she probably also contains. Look at all the problems they had beaching the Norway.... and she is a newer ship.

A plus for someone wanting to place her back into service is that in 1992 she was towed to Turkey where the asbestos was removed. Probably that fact will only be of help to whoever salvages the ship.

If you saw the PBS show "SS United States - A Lady in Waiting" (I missed it even though I had checked the date and time on our local PBS station only to find something else on - I ended up buying the DVD), even IF NCL tries to remake the ship, Colin Vietch was very clear about the desires of today's cruise passengers. They want balconies and verandas and don't mind paying for luxury, in this case the QM2, which has carries some hefty fares. The ship would not be the same. Mr. Vietch alluded to keeping the same profile, including the stacks. However, I doubt anything will make NCL try to make that ship usuable. The cost would be more than creating a new ship from scratch. NCL has had about 5 years or more to do their "feasability study." Besides a government subsidy (forget it in this economy), the only viable means of maintaining the SS United States would be a group effort on the part of the cruise lines. I also doubt that will happen. However, if the ship did return to service of some sort, be a cruise ship or floating hotel/museum, I would definately want to be on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived