Old Town Trolley or Conch Train?

Link0723

We will be in port from 7am until 2pm. We thought the best tour would be one of the guided tours, and from there we could walk around and hit the points of interest.

1) How early do the Trolleys and Conch Train run?

2) What is the price difference between the two?

3) Is it less expensive to book these independant or through the cruise line (Carnival)?

Thank you for your help in advance.....

We will be in port from 7am until 2pm. We thought the best tour would be one of the guided tours, and from there we could walk around and hit the points of interest.

1) How early do the Trolleys and Conch Train run?

2) What is the price difference between the two?

3) Is it less expensive to book these independant or through the cruise line (Carnival)?

Thank you for your help in advance.....

Definately the Conch Train!! You will be docked right down town, and just a short walk to catch the train, maybe 5 minutes.

It lasts about 90 minutes, is very fun and informative. No need to book this through the cruise line.

Since both are run by the same company, they're both excellent and cover the same info. There are 2 major differences though:

The Train is open air (very wet on a rainy day!) and makes only one pit stop half way through the 90 min tour. The Trolly is an enclosed "bus" and you can get off and reboard at any of the 10 stops on the loop.

Either way, make sure to do one or the other. They are the best way to see the whole island and get the whole story.

We enjoyed the trolley because we wanted to get off at several different locations, look around, shop, etc., and then we caught one of the trolleys that arrived on a regular basis (I think every 30 minutes). If you don't want to get off, then I suppose either would work, however, if you want to get off and look around, I'd do the trolley. And if it is raining, I'd do the trolley.

http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp?SID=15&Product_ID=13&ai=4899#PopUp

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you should consider is that most tours booked through the ship are actually modified tours. For example the trolley tour does not make any stops. Since you can get on either of these at Mallory Square I would suggest that you just take it through the operators and not through the ship.. I believe it is a better deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify, the conch train doesn't let you off at the stops and the old town trolley does? Also, what about the Key West Aquarium? Is that one of old town trolley stops? The conch train attractions look great but if you can't get off and see them, I would think the old town trolley would be better??

Just to clarify, the conch train doesn't let you off at the stops and the old town trolley does? Also, what about the Key West Aquarium? Is that one of old town trolley stops? The conch train attractions look great but if you can't get off and see them, I would think the old town trolley would be better??

That's right - the train is more an overview of the island and does not let you off. The trolley runs a route much like a bus and you can get off and on from the selected stops. The Aquarium is located at Mallory Square where most trains/trolleys begin and end so it doesn't need to be a stop-it's in the middle of everything.

Ok - the trolley lets you off and on, but are you limited to one full cycle or can you ride the whole route and then ride back around and get off at the stops you'd like to?

That's a good question...I seem to remember you only go around once, but I just don't remember for sure. I believe your tickets say what location you boarded, so that is where you should end (unless you exit earlier and don't reboard).

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so could someone please clarify for me-If you purchase your ticket for the trolley through the ship you can't get off at any of the stops? I don't understand why it would be any different since the price seems to be the same. We are leaving on Sunday so if anyone knows, I would appreciate your help. We would like to be able to get off at the stops. Oh, also does anyone know if the Audabon House is close to one of the trolley stops? Thanks again:D

"Ok so could someone please clarify for me-If you purchase your ticket for the trolley through the ship you can't get off at any of the stops? "

This is true. You do not get off.

"I don't understand why it would be any different since the price seems to be the same."

The only reason that I can think of is to keep the cruise ship tourist separate from the regular tourists. I think it would be frustatrating to some visiting the isalnd on their own and finding out that they have to wait in a long line because of the multitudes of cruise people that are taking the tour.I have been in other areas also that will offer 2 tours(on doing research) one for the local tourist crowd and one for the cruise ships so I don't find this unusual.

"also does anyone know if the Audabon House is close to one of the trolley stops?"

The Audubon house is very close to Mallory Square and so I think most likely the stop would be the Mallory Square stop.

There are 2 different tours. The Conch Train tour doesn't make any stops.

The Trolley Tour makes about 10 different stops that you can get off and re-board the next Trolley that comes (about every 30 minutes) You can make one complete loop which takes abour 90 minutes.

Teri

Thank you for the clarification. We will cancel the ship ticket and purchase one for the trolley when we get there. I am so glad that I read this before we went! We would have been so disappointed if we couldn't get off at any of the stops. How do you get to where they sell the tickets from the pier? Thank you so much:D

Hi All.

We are cruising on Rhapsody of the Seas and have a stop in Key West. We dock at 3 pm ship time (I think this is 4 pm Key West time). If I don't book the conch train through the ship, will we have enough time to get to Mallory Sq. and onto a train by 4:30 (when it closes per the web site). Will there be huge lines (I'd hate to arrive and not be able to get on). Advice, please!!

Bobo

You can buy tickets on the Olde Town Trolley website a bit cheaper than the cruise price (I think $19.00 vs. $22.00 for the shore excursion). I think the discount is specifically for web purchases. The site says you print the etickets at home and that they are then honored in Key West.

Archived