Recently at Halekulani?

murphysmum

Hello...

I have a question about my favorite hotel on Waikiki.

Has anyone stayed there since the huge building project has started in the two square blocks behind the hotel? I'm just wondering if possible noise should be a factor in room choice.

I haven't been to Oahu in about three to four years and I understand that there's a new Roy's right behind the Halekulani now and that some of the new project is already open.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Aloha...

murphysmum

Hello...

I have a question about my favorite hotel on Waikiki.

Has anyone stayed there since the huge building project has started in the two square blocks behind the hotel? I'm just wondering if possible noise should be a factor in room choice.

I haven't been to Oahu in about three to four years and I understand that there's a new Roy's right behind the Halekulani now and that some of the new project is already open.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Aloha...

murphysmum

Hi murphysmum, I have not had the privilege of staying at the Halekulani, so cannot comment on room noise, but we dined there a couple weeks ago. The Trump Tower is under construction and the Reef Hotel is renovating, so I would think you want to be on the Diamond Head side of the hotel.

The block mauka (mountain) side of the Halekulani has changed dramatically in the last few years. The new development is called Waikiki Beachwalk and houses the Embassy Suites, Roy's, Ruth's Chris, Yardhouse, etc.

The Halekulani remains as majestic as ever. When will you be returning?

Aloha

Hello....

Thanks so much for the information. I'll book the side facing ocean and closest to Diamond Head....should be no problem.

I'm glad you got to eat there recently. I love the Orchid and also sitting by the oceanside bar. I still think of it as House Without a Key...Is it still called that?

Yes, we've been very fortunate to stay there over thirty years ago when it was in the orginal condition (white bungalows) and also since they've redone it. Waikiki has gotten so crowded that it's really the only place that gives me the feeling of "getting away" if I'm right in Waikiki.

I really appreciate your help...and you asked when we're going. I expect to go mid-October...after school's in session and before the holidays.

Aloha and Mahalo...

murphysmum

Yes, the inside/outside casual restaurant is still named House Without a Key. We ate there last trip to Oahu. Delightful, no surprise there. (You are so right about how crowded Waikiki/Honolulu is now. We've only stayed there once in the past decade, at the Royal Hawaiian, which is our "getaway from the bustle" spot, but prefer to stay near Kailua or elsewhere outside of the cities.)

beachchick

Another Halekulani lover here! We also stayed in the bungalows years ago several times before the rebuild. In the last two years we've done the Hawaii RT Princess cruise from LA 3 times. At least half of our Honolulu port stop has been spent under the tree between the Halekulani and the Sheraton with sunset and mai tais on the Halekulani terrace! Always one of our favorite destinations. Lucky you. Last time we were there was in April of 2007, and we can't wait to get back.

Aloha, Bucky

Ocean/Diamond Head side would be perfect and mid-October's an excellent time . . . before the rainy season and a bit cooler than summer. Whew, we've had some hot and humid days recently.

I remember the days of the bungalows. Reminds me of a funny story. Where Orchid's is now was an open-air type restaurant (can't remember the name) with lattice-style roof cover intertwined with vines. While enjoying a delicious brunch, a bird sh*t right on my head!:eek: Another Halekulani trivia: Did you know that reservations for Orchide's are taken exactly one-year in advance for Mother's Day brunch? They are sold out in a flash!

House Without a Key is a classic. Kanoe Miller (gorgeous former Miss Hawaii) dances there. As locals, we sometimes forget how fortunate we are to live in paradise. We go have a sunset drink at the House Without a Key and then think, OMG, we live in Hawaii!

Speaking of that "get away" feeling. Have any of you stayed at the Lodge of Koele on Lanai? Now that's getting away in the most exquisite way!

Aloha

Outrageously wonderful. Toilets to die for--heated seats, automatic flush and wash--loved them! Great fruit juices in room daily. Kind of on the side where there is construction but its placement is O.K. and you don't hear it. The other posters were right--if you get the inside rooms that face the ocean directly or the ones on the Diamond Head side you won't hear anything. The Halekulani is doing a complete makeover starting October--but the manager was not sure which section would be first. I am an old timer who lived in Hawaii before it was a state. The Halekulani was special--it still is, but it is a real hotel now. For Le Mer, we did not want to wear a long sleeved shirt (my husband), but Orchids which is right under it is spectacular and you can wear a short sleeved shirt there. Food was excellent. We had breakfast in our room every day and the room service was perfect. There is nothing anyone could ask for that this hotel didn't have.

I did hear, though, that they are building another boutique hotel right around there. I will be checking it out.

Outrageously wonderful. Toilets to die for--heated seats, automatic flush and wash--loved them! Great fruit juices in room daily. Kind of on the side where there is construction but its placement is O.K. and you don't hear it. The other posters were right--if you get the inside rooms that face the ocean directly or the ones on the Diamond Head side you won't hear anything. The Halekulani is doing a complete makeover starting October--but the manager was not sure which section would be first. I am an old timer who lived in Hawaii before it was a state. The Halekulani was special--it still is, but it is a real hotel now. For Le Mer, we did not want to wear a long sleeved shirt (my husband), but Orchids which is right under it is spectacular and you can wear a short sleeved shirt there. Food was excellent. We had breakfast in our room every day and the room service was perfect. There is nothing anyone could ask for that this hotel didn't have.

I did hear, though, that they are building another boutique hotel right around there. I will be checking it out.

Wow, I have heard about the Vera Wang suite, but till now have not received a firsthand report. Sounds as luxurious as I imagined it would be. We don't like to get too dressed up either, so Orchids is our favorite.

Aloha

• 3 months later...

Have you been to the Halekulani since they began the "refurbishment" which was due to start the first of September? Am wondering how it will impact our mid October stay.

It has been many years since I've had the glorious pleasure of being a guest at the "Hale" and am hoping for the best. Any info you might have would be most appreciated.

Janet

Archived