Alaska - land tour before or after cruise

Penguin69

I have a question and hope someone can help us decide. We're thinking of taking an Alaska 10 night Cruisetour package with RCCL. We don't know which would be the best way to go, or does it make a difference? Should we go on the cruise portion first, followed by the land tour or visa versa? If anyone has done this type of package tour before, would love to hear your comments.

We've always had an Oceanview Stateroom w/a balcony on our other cruises and loved it, but was wondering should we spring and get one for this cruise too or just a cabin with a view?

Are the excursions being offered worth the money and are they are good? Some seem to be very expensive. What would be the best time of the year to go and be able to see everything that Alaska has to offer (but still stay within a reasonable budget). We were thinking of going sometime in August.

Again, any help anyone can provide, would be greatly appreciated.

I did a cruise tour to Alaska over 10 years ago. (It was my first cruise) I would recommend to do the tour before. You'll be living out of a suitcase for the tour portion. I had an overnight bag that I used and the bigger suitcase was transported to the ship. After 4-5 days, it was great to unpack and just RELAX.

I would suggest to do everything - I made it up to Kotzubue & Nome. I would love to go back, but at least I did everyting I had wanted to do and more.

Try to get as far north as you can, because you don't know if you'll every get back up there.

I hope to get back up there before I get too old and gray.

I agree with Sky's Mom about doing the cruise following the tour. We did a HA and were ready for three days of relaxing after the one night stands of the tour. I think a balcony is always the greatest way to go, but we did the oceanview on the Alaska one and it was fine. I think the fact that the cruise part was shorter was a factor.

even though i have not done the one-way alaska cruise ( i will have my 2nd round trip under my belt next may ) , i would do the land tours first, then relax on the cruise for the next 7 days. getting to the end of vacation relaxed and waited on by the cruise staff would be my ideal vacation. have a great time.

Hello and thank you to everyone that responded and helped us make our decision. We will do the land portion first then relax on board ship for the second half.

Has anyone else done the dog sleding? I think that one would really be cool but is the price they are asking worth it?

Thank you again,

8_1_203.gif

Archived