QM2 Transatlantic in June

cunard_cruiser

Hello all I'm a Newbie poster - so please be gentle,

I've been an avid Cunard cruiser from the age of about 13 and have decided to book a round trip transatlantic on QM2 in June of next year. It won't be the same as my first QE2 trip but after a four night taster on QM2 last year I'm ready to give it a go!

Realising that their is no definitive answer to this question but what are people's experience of the weather for a June crossing will we see any sun? - my last transatlantic was in August and the weather was mainly cold and misty.

Also what is the new terminal at NY like? one of my over riding memories of my first trip to NY was seeing down Manhattan streets from QE2 - am I right in thinking the new terminal is not on Manhattan ?

Thanks in advance

I did a pair of crossings in June last year. The eastbound in early June encountered some fog in the Grand Banks but otherwise was overcast and calm. The westbound in late June encountered a large storm which the ship handled very well. There were quite a few people sitting by the large windows on Two and Three Decks watching the waves come up and cover the windows. As the ship drew nearer to America the weather became sunny and very warm.

During my QE2 crossings, the weather in June was more varied than during crossings in July or August.

The new terminal is in Brooklyn. Going in and out, you will have a view of the Veranzano Bridge, the Statue of Liberty and when the ship arrives at the terminal, there is a good view of lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge from the stern of the ship. (QM2 usually backs into the terminal). Thus, you will not have the same spectacular ride up the Hudson (actually the North River at that point) that you had on QE2.

The facility itself is designed for a large modern ship and is more efficient than the old terminal for embarking and disembarking passengers. It is also much easier for to navigate the ship into and out of the berth. (The Manhattan piers require a right angle turn across a swift current that is rather difficult).

If you are going into Manhattan between your crossings, when you disembark, there will be taxis and car services outside the terminal. Also, Cunard has a coach transfer into Manhattan that is not bad. They sell it from the Tour Office.

Keep in mind that many New York taxi drivers do not know where the Brooklyn terminal is located. Thus, when you try to return to the ship, the driver may take you off on a journey of exploration. Brooklyn is a big area and you don't want to spend time and money while the driver hunts for the terminal. Thus, it is a good idea to bring a set of the directions on how to get to the terminal with you.

Also, there is no practical public transportation from Manhattan to the Terminal.

Beyondships...... we were on the same June 2007 crossing ...was it 26 June departure?

Yes, that was a storm all right and she did handle it well. I heard of nobody getting seasick, did you? However, the Norwegian bartender at Commodore said one of the floral vases took a tumble off the bar that night.

The last day before NYC, on deck, between the sun and fog (and between champaign and hot tub!) was brilliant.

Sorry to muscle in on this thread but as I have a similar question it seemed better than starting a new one.

Does anyone have experience of a westbound crossing in late September and back mid October? What was your experience of the weather during the crossings? Will we be able to sit on deck at all? I assume during the week USA and Canada in between we will be able to.

Have made twofairly recent westbound crossings. The weather was good on both. You cannot take the Western Ocean for granted at any time. It will please itself. An East Coast hurricane can liven up both an eastbound and Westbound! Both the crossings referenced above were September.Happy sailings.!

Hello all, first time poster here.

I am just wondering does anyone have experience of the weather from Southampton to New York in mid July? Obviously nobody can predict the weather for definate but just a rough idea would help.

Thanks in advance

... I've been an avid Cunard cruiser from the age of about 13 and have decided to book a round trip transatlantic on QM2 in June of next year. ...

Realising that their is no definitive answer to this question but what are people's experience of the weather for a June crossing will we see any sun? ...

Here is the stuff we saved from our late May, early June round trip in 2006, and here is our blog. You will have a grand time, we did.

Archived