Alaska outerwear (for men and women)

KimmyinLA

Hello all,

I am posting this because I couldn't find the info when I needed it... so I hope this is helpful for those who have to purchase outerwear (during off season no less!)

My husband & I are in S. California so we don't really own a long lasting, versatile jacket. Here in LA, I have jackets more for fashion than comfort/warmth... so this is to help anyone else that might be in a similar boat.

I just received my 3-in-1 jacket from LLBean. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=storm-chaser-3-in-1-parka&categoryId=51541&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503044&cat4=503043&shop_method=pp&feat=503044-tn&np=Y It has a lightweight outer shell that is rain resistant, then a fleece shell can be zipped inside. I ordered it b/c the fleece jacket can be worn alone so I can wear this at home. I will see after our cruise in just a few weeks whether it will be warm enough for our ports in Alaska but I hate being cold. The jacket really exceeded my expectations with all pockets zippered (including the fleece pockets). Lots of thoughtful details. Both color and shape is much better in person that on the website picture. Although many people have said they were able to find an inexpensive jacket at Walmart, I am petite so I have a tough time finding things that fit well. This was offered in petite for $99.

I also had to order gloves, scarf, hat and ear covers http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck100WatchCap~151319_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BIM&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000247&origin=index(this might be going too far but I'd rather be prepared and all of the above do not take much room and I don't want to be forced to buy something while in port). Landsend was the only place I could find all of these things during this hot weather. Right now the fleece accessories are on sale. Each piece was $9 except the ear band, $12. Also, my husband needed a jacket but needs a tall length. And Landsend's tall was a little longer in the sleeves than what LLbean offered: http://www.landsend.com/pp/3in1SquallJacket~174711_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::YVI&CM_ME RCH=IDX_00001__0000000044&origin=index It is similar to what I ordered... it's a 3-in-1 so the fleece lining can be worn alone or together with the rain shell.

I was able to find a shipping coupon code online for LLBean but not for Landsend.

Hope this helps someone!

Will do but I've been reading that the weather has been good so hopefully I won't need to test out the rain feature;) But we leave in less than a week so I'll be sure to post how it all worked out, when we get back.

• 1 month later...

I'm a skier so my outerwear is very important. I have many fleece jackets and like to wear a Marmot outer shell that is wind and water proof with a hood. Marmot is on the expensive side, but the company is outstanding. I bought my original jacket in 2002. I noticed a few months ago the inner waterproof lining was coming off. I contacted Marmot and sent it in. I need it for our Alaskan trip! I originally paid $130 for the jacket in 2002. They gave me a credit for the full amount for another jacket. I just recieved it (free shipping) and didn't pay a dime. They appoligized the product didn't stand up to use and also gave me tips to keeping the lining intact with heavy use. I thought customer service was dead in this country, but they have renewed my faith!

I just returned from Alaska and I was in short sleeve tees many days. When the sun was out it was warm. I am not sure where you are going and what stops you will be making but unless it is raining or you are sailing to the glaciers you won't need to bundle up so much. Layering is best....a waterproof lightweight jacket with a sweatshirt underneath, long sleeve tee for extra warmth if you want...that's it. If the jacket has a hood you are set.

Hi Kimmy,

I am also ready to order 2 jackets from LL Bean - one for DH and one for me. I was wondering where you found the shipping coupon code for LL Bean. I've been looking and couldn't find it. BTW, thanks for the suggestion of the fleece had and gloves from Land's End - I ordered that as well. I love Land's End because you can return it to Sears!!

Thanks,

Roz

Hello all,

I am posting this because I couldn't find the info when I needed it... so I hope this is helpful for those who have to purchase outerwear (during off season no less!)

My husband & I are in S. California so we don't really own a long lasting, versatile jacket. Here in LA, I have jackets more for fashion than comfort/warmth... so this is to help anyone else that might be in a similar boat.

I just received my 3-in-1 jacket from LLBean. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=storm-chaser-3-in-1-parka&categoryId=51541&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503044&cat4=503043&shop_method=pp&feat=503044-tn&np=Y It has a lightweight outer shell that is rain resistant, then a fleece shell can be zipped inside. I ordered it b/c the fleece jacket can be worn alone so I can wear this at home. I will see after our cruise in just a few weeks whether it will be warm enough for our ports in Alaska but I hate being cold. The jacket really exceeded my expectations with all pockets zippered (including the fleece pockets). Lots of thoughtful details. Both color and shape is much better in person that on the website picture. Although many people have said they were able to find an inexpensive jacket at Walmart, I am petite so I have a tough time finding things that fit well. This was offered in petite for $99.

I also had to order gloves, scarf, hat and ear covers http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck100WatchCap~151319_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BIM&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000247&origin=index(this might be going too far but I'd rather be prepared and all of the above do not take much room and I don't want to be forced to buy something while in port). Landsend was the only place I could find all of these things during this hot weather. Right now the fleece accessories are on sale. Each piece was $9 except the ear band, $12. Also, my husband needed a jacket but needs a tall length. And Landsend's tall was a little longer in the sleeves than what LLbean offered: http://www.landsend.com/pp/3in1SquallJacket~174711_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::YVI&CM_ME RCH=IDX_00001__0000000044&origin=index It is similar to what I ordered... it's a 3-in-1 so the fleece lining can be worn alone or together with the rain shell.

I was able to find a shipping coupon code online for LLBean but not for Landsend.

Hope this helps someone!

• 3 weeks later...

All depends on time of year, plus weather can vary greatly day to day or minute to minute.

The only time, it was chilly was on 6 hour cruise out of Seward. That day, I wore long sleeve tee, unlined windbreaker and a travel vest.. strange looking?? yes, but I needed the warmth.

I wore either a long sleeve sunblock blouse over tee with a travel vest or just the travel vest over tee. This was the first two weeks in July. One evening, at Lake Louise (yes, in AK), we needed unlined windbreakers.

We're leaving for Alaska in two weeks. I don't really have a "rain jacket" but I do have a North Face ski jacket that has a waterproof shell and a zip out lining. Should this suffice? I figure if it's not that cold I can just use the shell as a raincoat? Or will I look like an idiot wearing a ski jacket when everyone else has a raincoat?

We're leaving for Alaska in two weeks. I don't really have a "rain jacket" but I do have a North Face ski jacket that has a waterproof shell and a zip out lining. Should this suffice? I figure if it's not that cold I can just use the shell as a raincoat? Or will I look like an idiot wearing a ski jacket when everyone else has a raincoat?

I figure waterproof is waterproof. My rainjacket is North Face, and looks just like my Columbia outer shell for my winter parka. The difference is in the weight of the fabric and the rainjacket has underarm zippers. Before I bought an actual rainjacket (found it on sale at a ridiculously low price, or wouldn't have bought it, even), I wore my winter outer shell for wind/water in summer.

Fair warning! My best and most favorite water proof jacket failed me on a recent trip. It leaked at the seams!

Dumb me! I should know better. I should have waterproofed all the seams as the jacket has been with me for a long time.

So I got soaked on my shoulders and that isn't nice when it is cold.

Be smarter than I am!

I have ordered from LL Bean and Land's End for years and find them to be of exceptional quality. We are about to go on our 4th trip to Alaska and will take the same Land's End fleece jackets that we have always taken. Also, I love their soft and oh so comfy corduroy slacks for women. I wear these on the ship with Crocs and even to casual dining nights. Just ordered their newest color: charcoal and a charcoal fleece vest with zipper pockets on the outside and pockets on the inside - one even designed for cell phone. Great little vest for port days. We bought great waterproof rain jackets with hoods and lots of pockets at our local Academy. Yes......you did indeed pick winners.......Kimmy. gg

Hello all,

Hope this helps someone!

i have been to alaska the last of may and the middle of sept. both times i only wore a sweatshirt while on deck with a light-weight nylon jacket i picked up in the walmart sporting dept for $10. it was easy to pack and carry around. i was very comfortable and didnt spend a ton of money to look and feel great even in the glaciers.

I like REI brand jackets also.

Three primary features are important in rain gear. First, actual waterproof material. Wind breakers just don't cut it. You need a good quality waterproof material that also offers breathability. Finally, you need to find one with a little bit of a brim on the hood. This feature keeps the water off your face and can really keep you happy on a rainy day. I just find good waterproof outer shell type jackets and pair them with any fleece. You can get fleece anywhere, Old Navy usually has cheap ones. For those of you that don't need outerwear, spend the money on a good rain jacket and pick up a cheap fleece. I'm sure the 3 in one coats are nice but we've never had a problem just pulling on a rain coat jacket over our fleece jackets when it starts to rain.

Right now we have several REI jackets, a North Face and a Patagonia. It is always worth it to spend extra on good rain gear, imo. Another money saving tip, I've found I can wear boys 14-16-18. Often the boys jackets are as much as half the prices as womens jackets! I'm 5'8 and size meduim and wore the same size as my son when he was 13 and 14, he is 15 now and needs Mens sizes for the arm length.

We just picked up 3 sets of Dri Ducks Rain Suits. They consist of a light jacket with hood and pants for $15/set. Hopefully we will be warm enough with a bottom layer of a long sleeve T-shirt and a heavy hooded sweat shirt. Could always add another layer if needed.

I hope this works!

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a rain jacket in Canada? Somewhere like LL Bean maybe? I love my North Face but it's shrunk in the wash!! Sadly not true, but a bit too snug for layering underneath. Think I'd best invest in a new one but have 3 weeks travelling before the cruise and don't fancy carrying a bit jacket with me in the sun (fingers crossed)

An insider's tip- Lands' End is offering free shipping now through 7/29! The promo code is HOT, and the pin# is 577132544. It's nice to hear all the great comments as I work for Lands' End! And I can also vouch for the quality, not just as an employee, but also as a long time customer! "Guaranteed. Period!"

Stay warm, everyone! I'll be wearing my LE garments in Alaska this Sept.!

An insider's tip- Lands' End is offering free shipping now through 7/29! The promo code is HOT, and the pin# is 577132544. It's nice to hear all the great comments as I work for Lands' End! And I can also vouch for the quality, not just as an employee, but also as a long time customer! "Guaranteed. Period!"

Stay warm, everyone! I'll be wearing my LE garments in Alaska this Sept.!

Gosh Darn it ddeprez......:p I knew I should have looked at CC for any Land's End codes before I ordered last week. We already have our order, but I guarantee you I will remember this promo code and go on line later tonight and order some other things I still want. Nice to know someone who works there and really respects the company and its products. Thanks for posting and for giving us the money savings tip !!! gg......a long time Land's End customer

Well, I sure hope it's cold in Alaska late August or DH is gonna "kill" me when he sees our credit card statement. :) I just went back onto Lands End and ordered hats, gloves, some long sleeve tees and a fleece jacket (my rain jacket is not insulated). Shipping via UPS internationally to gaurantee it gets here in time costs $50.

Just ordered the "Storm Chaser" jacket from LL Bean. It's currently 20% off and sells for $71. As I live in southern California, I'm not anticipating having to use the jacket much the rest of the year and didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I wouldn't wear. Most of the reviews for this jacket seem pretty positive.

Free shipping from LL Bean is available if you have received a catalog in the mail. There's a highlighted blue number on the address label, and you just enter it in on the checkout page. The free shipping expires Jan 1, 2009. Just used it for my order and saved $7.95. Shipping takes a little bit longer, 7-10 business days, versus the 3-5 days with regular shipping. As my cruise departs in 14 days, I'm a little bit worried that I won't get my jacket in time, but I figured what the heck, let's try.

Archived