Best of Volendam

TessM

I'm going to be on the Volendam in a couple of weeks (my first Hal cruise) and I'd like to know from those of you who have been on her, what was your favorite spot on the ship and why?

I was lucky enough to get an invitation to have lunch on the Westerdam this past Sunday (Pinnacle Grill). Besides lunch, we got a tour of the ship.

I realize that the Volendam is a different class and smaller than the Westerdam, but I really liked the Crow's Nest and Explorations (I think that's the name of it). Plus, I had a great tour of the spa. I fell in love with the float bed (used in a wrap/massage combo). I told a couple of people that I will cry if that float treatment isn't available on the Volendam.

So, what is your favorite spot on the Volendam and what makes it wonderful?

Thanks!

I just got off the Westerdam and I liked the Volendam better because it wasn't so big and I really enjoyed the thermal suite on the Volendam because it has a full view out the bow. It's great to be up there using the thermal suite and sitting in the hot tub and looking right our the front of the ship!

The hydrotherapy pool on the Westerdam was great, though! Better than the hot tub in the thermal suite on the V.

The showroom lounge on the Volendam was much more elegant than the W's, also.

The Volendam is my favorite HAL ship - I definitely prefer it (and all the S & R class ships) to the Vistas. I like the size and layout much better.

The Explorations Cafe and the Crows Nest are really my hangouts. The Cafe has excellent coffees and some exceptionally comfortable recliners. I loved to write on my laptop while listening to some music and gazing out of the large windows. The Crows Nest of course is the prime spot for most viewing. The Explorer's Lounge has frequent music by a chamber music group and also large windows for viewing.

We were on the Volendam in March and LOVED her. We really enjoyed our veranda, the crows nest, and the dining room. :D Our waiters, Eko (pronounced echo) and his crew were fantastic. The DJ Philip was a lot of fun. There never was more than 10 of us at the crows nest after 11. So Philip played whatever songs we requested and had no problem dancing with all of us. He was fun. But honestly I think we spent more time on the veranda than anywhere else. Hope you love her as much as we did. :D

We were on the Volendam in March, same sailing as Savannahgirl1 (hi Melissa!). We loved the Explorations Cafe, great place to (quietly) play cards, the Explorers Lounge, more places to sit and you can bring your coffee along. My favorite place was sitting at one of the tables by the pool drinking coffee in the early morning, before they opened the cover, nice and toasty warm...Back on the Volendam for two weeks next month, can't wait....

Cheryl

We were on the Volendam in March, same sailing as Savannahgirl1 (hi Melissa!). We loved the Explorations Cafe, great place to (quietly) play cards, the Explorers Lounge, more places to sit and you can bring your coffee along. My favorite place was sitting at one of the tables by the pool drinking coffee in the early morning, before they opened the cover, nice and toasty warm...Back on the Volendam for two weeks next month, can't wait....

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl! That was a great cruise wasn't it. The Canal was AMAZING. I wish we could go with your next month, but alas hubby has to work. :( Oh well I hope you have an excellent trip. :D

Our first two cruises were on the Volendam. For us, it is the perfect size ship. HAL's signature "great service" is more pronounced (IMHO) on the smaller ships. We enjoyed the "piano bar" on the Volendam, also the "dining room" food & service was superb. Enjoy your "first cruise"!

Archived