Which is better? Mendenhall or Juneau Glacier

mikedge

We are shortly going to Juneau and want to try dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Temsco, or Juneau Glacier with Coastal. The two trips look indentical but Is one any better than the other because the difference in price is USD50 each with the trip to Mendenhall being the more expensive.

Coastal does a great job, for savings priority, go with them. Be well prepared with a back up plan, know what else is going on in Juneau. Glacier Dog Sledding is the most canceled tour. Also, never heard of "Juneau" glacier??

Hi Budget Queen

Thanks for your quick reply. Coastal refer to Juneau Icefield on their website and not Juneau Glacier (sorry for the mistake!). Is this the same tour as Mendenhall with Temsco and is it worth using them rather than Temsco to save $50 per person?

Regards

Mike

I have a question to tack on to that one: I've read there may only be one dog-sledding trip where you actually get to drive the sled, and it's one of the helicopter dog-sledding trips (I think in Skagway). Anyone know?

We went with Coastal I think last year to the Juneau Icefield and it was absolutely amazing. We were the only helicopter on the glacier and our pilot told us that by going on helicopter rides to the Mendenhall Glacier there are helicopters taking off and coming in all the time and gets noisy.

We were very pleased with Coastal. We booked ours through Orca, so after our whale watching trip they took us by big passenger van to the airport where we suited up for the glacier landing. Very good service and would highly recommend.

This is a picture of us on the glacier. Great day!!

2111768085_DannyLaurieonGlacier.jpg.77bcc103ef3cced584f0cb05b03fc14e.jpg

I have a question to tack on to that one: I've read there may only be one dog-sledding trip where you actually get to drive the sled, and it's one of the helicopter dog-sledding trips (I think in Skagway). Anyone know?

Check out this thread. Look at posts #8 and #10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=720417&highlight=%22driving+sled%22

. We did get to drive the sled and it was amazing.

You did???? There was NO driver with you??? How did you know the commands, trail?? I think you mean you got to ride on the runners, and operate the breaks, a big difference in what you have said.

Hi Budget Queen

Thanks for your quick reply. Coastal refer to Juneau Icefield on their website and not Juneau Glacier (sorry for the mistake!). Is this the same tour as Mendenhall with Temsco and is it worth using them rather than Temsco to save $50 per person?

Regards

Mike

Frankly Mendenhall glacier is no better or worse than any other in the Juneau ice field, just more known. The tours are very similar, just operated by different vendors in different locations.

OK there is a lot of misinformation here. Technically, to "drive" a sled, you alone, are totally reponsible, with keeping the dogs on the trail and knowing the commands. NONE of these tours is going to be that. The "driving" reference here comes from those standing on the second sled's runners and riding the breaks. A BIG difference. This position is also rotated if any of the other two riders want it. This is pretty much the same with all the vendors.

Archived