Loss of fuel surcharge rebate with upgrades

Timmys_mom

Just thought I would pass this along.

A friend here in the office is leaving on the Spirit on May 28. They have been booked for over a year, and thus, would be due the OBC for their fuel surcharge they paid.

A few weeks ago, she came in all excited because Carnival had called her to offer her an upgrade from an inside room to a balcony for $250/pp. She accepted their offer and paid for the upgrade for herself and her sister (she is obviously nicer than I am!). There was no mention of the FS rebate. Her booking number did not change.

I told her yesterday she better contact Carnival and make sure her FS rebate was still on her onboard account. She called this morning and asked, and sure enough, it had been removed. She politely informed the person she was talking to that she had not been informed she would lose the $35/pp rebate if she accepted the upgrade Carnival initiated, and if she had been, may have not taken the offer. In effect, it adds another $35/pp to the price of the upgrade.

She was put on hold for 20 minutes, but when the Carnival rep returned, she was given back her FS rebate.

Moral of the story: don't wait until you are on the ship to find out your rebate was taken back. Call Carnival now, be polite, and be patient.

Archived