Air Waitlisted?

dmk

I went on the X site to look at a Transatlantic that is almost 12 months away. I put in my airport as Montreal and got the fare. When I continued to see the final amount with taxes this was the message:

"Sorry, the Air City you selected is waitlisted. Please select another Air City"

I have never seen such a message before. My friend is already booked with air from Montreal. So what would you think this means?

its because air can only be booked 330 days out. The airlines dont post the flights until then. Not sure how your friend got their's. This was always my understanding.

It has to be some other reason because my friend is already booked on this cruise with air.

Probably because they only buy up so many seats and all the allocation for seats out of Montreal have no doubt been spoken for. I have seen this happen with Calgary departures on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Moral of the story - book early if you want to use the cruiseline's air as I would on a TA. For a North American cruise, I'd book my own air because it's usually cheaper than the cruiseline's air (from out west anyway).

Tink

its because air can only be booked 330 days out. The airlines dont post the flights until then. Not sure how your friend got their's. This was always my understanding.

Your actual flights cannot be booked until that amount of time, but you can book a cruise with air when you make your cruise booking - the air price is then locked in. We booked our Equinox transatlantic with air for Nov 2009 in March of this year (20 months before the cruise). We usually book all but US departure cruises with air and then look for better airfare deals - if we don't find one before final payment, at least we have our air taken care of. So far for our transatlantics we haven't found better deals than Celebrity air.

You can go to Celebrity's website and price and book any cruise with or without air - your actual air arrangements aren't made until you contact them for custom air or closer to the cruise if you are not doing custom air.

Tink gave a good explanation of why the air would be waitlisted.

It has to be some other reason because my friend is already booked on this cruise with air.

I think it has something to do with it being acity they don't always have air from. When we booked Equinox, we were waitlisted for about an hour and then we had cruise air.

Just a theory but maybe because of the rising fuel prices and extra charges for luggage and such, Celebrity don't want to lock themselves into any airfare too early. Might be a matter of "let's wait and see" closer to the departure time what the price will be so they don't have to absorb any fees or surcharges the airlines decide to increase.

Someone on our roll call for the Dec '08 Galaxy TA was saying that the flights out of Toronto for Celebrity air are now wait listed as well.

Just a theory but maybe because of the rising fuel prices and extra charges for luggage and such, Celebrity don't want to lock themselves into any airfare too early. Might be a matter of "let's wait and see" closer to the departure time what the price will be so they don't have to absorb any fees or surcharges the airlines decide to increase.

Someone on our roll call for the Dec '08 Galaxy TA was saying that the flights out of Toronto for Celebrity air are now wait listed as well.

I don't think that can be it, since we were "waitlisted" until a short while after we paid our deposit and then they confirmed the RT air (plus transfers) for our cruise that departs Rome for $1009. This is for the fall of 2009, which is even later than your friends.

I don't think that can be it, since we were "waitlisted" until a short while after we paid our deposit and then they confirmed the RT air (plus transfers) for our cruise that departs Rome for $1009. This is for the fall of 2009, which is even later than your friends.

Oh well, it was just a theory. So it's more likely they only pre-book so many seats on a flight and then have to wait to get more added. However, that would mean that they would have to pre-book a lot of flights from a lot of different departure points, be a logistical nightmare.

Oh well, it was just a theory. So it's more likely they only pre-book so many seats on a flight and then have to wait to get more added. However, that would mean that they would have to pre-book a lot of flights from a lot of different departure points, be a logistical nightmare.

It really would be interested to know how they do it.

The airlines buy cruise air tickets ON CONTRACT about a year in advance (BEFORE the airline schedule is let).

The scenario goes like this: Cruise line wants to buy 100 tickets from NYC to London. They ask for bids from the airlines. The airlines respond-one states the cruiseline can have 30 tickets at XXX price. Cruise line agrees-money is paid-one BIG reason cruise air tickets are a bargain TO THE CRUISELINE. Then the cruise line tacks on their profit. When the airline schedule is posted, he cruise line is notified which flights are available under the contract. IF you book custom air, you MAY get your chosen flight at no upcharge (if your chosen flight was one of the 30 tickets). Otherwise, the airline MAY make another flight available-some with a significant upcharge.

To answer the OP's question, there most likely are NO MORE Montreal tickets. People may cancel and Montreal tickets may be available.

Why anyone would book cruise air, even custom air without upcharge, is beyond me??? There are just too many ways at the same price or even less to get to a cruise-yes, even one way TA's-to take the chance with cruise air.

If you want to know EXACTLY how cruise air/custom air/air deviation works, please see the first few pages of this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

I own an international logistics company. I am intimately familiar with airlines, yield management and how they do business "behind the scenes". I ship about a million pounds of freight yearly world wide on airlines. I also personally fly for business over 100,000 miles per year. And I would NEVER book a consolidator class ticket when I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY had to be someplace. There are other tickets out there just as cheap with FULL protection from the airlines. Your cruise air tickets DO NOT have full protection.

The airlines buy cruise air tickets ON CONTRACT about a year in advance (BEFORE the airline schedule is let).

The scenario goes like this: Cruise line wants to buy 100 tickets from NYC to London. They ask for bids from the airlines. The airlines respond-one states the cruiseline can have 30 tickets at XXX price. Cruise line agrees-money is paid-one BIG reason cruise air tickets are a bargain TO THE CRUISELINE. Then the cruise line tacks on their profit. When the airline schedule is posted, he cruise line is notified which flights are available under the contract. IF you book custom air, you MAY get your chosen flight at no upcharge (if your chosen flight was one of the 30 tickets). Otherwise, the airline MAY make another flight available-some with a significant upcharge.

To answer the OP's question, there most likely are NO MORE Montreal tickets. People may cancel and Montreal tickets may be available.

Why anyone would book cruise air, even custom air without upcharge, is beyond me??? There are just too many ways at the same price or even less to get to a cruise-yes, even one way TA's-to take the chance with cruise air.

If you want to know EXACTLY how cruise air/custom air/air deviation works, please see the first few pages of this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

I own an international logistics company. I am intimately familiar with airlines, yield management and how they do business "behind the scenes". I ship about a million pounds of freight yearly world wide on airlines. I also personally fly for business over 100,000 miles per year. And I would NEVER book a consolidator class ticket when I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY had to be someplace. There are other tickets out there just as cheap with FULL protection from the airlines. Your cruise air tickets DO NOT have full protection.

See I knew it would take a logistics person to answer this one :p Thanks!

Now here's what I've been finding. I want to get from Halifax to Rome one way for our TA. If I go on Air Canada's website, it is cheaper by about $300 PP to book a return flight then to book a one way. If I check on a consolidator website, I can get AC to Toronto then BA to London and then on to Rome for the same cost for 2 of us as it would cost for one return ticket on AC. So what's a girl to do?

See I knew it would take a logistics person to answer this one :p Thanks!

Now here's what I've been finding. I want to get from Halifax to Rome one way for our TA. If I go on Air Canada's website, it is cheaper by about $300 PP to book a return flight then to book a one way. If I check on a consolidator website, I can get AC to Toronto then BA to London and then on to Rome for the same cost for 2 of us as it would cost for one return ticket on AC. So what's a girl to do?

Don't know what price or even dates you are looking at, but for a general idea-fall TA-arbitrarily picked mid November-about $775.00 per person. Two stops-Boston and Dublin. Delta to Boston, AerLingus to Rome. Keeps you away from the extremely high Canadian taxes and away from Heathrow. You even have the option of spending a day or two in Ireland, with no upcharge.

There ARE options without using consolidator tickets. Post your dates.

It's the Dec 5 Galaxy TA, we were thinking of flying into Rome a couple days early to tour around their so I've been looking at Dec 2 departures. Been to Ireland a couple times so no need to spend any time there this trip, rather check out Rome. The best rate I found (throught one of the online cheap ticket sites) was about $1750 for the two of us, all taxes in that's the AC to TO and then BA to Heathrow and Rome.

So how do you get the different airline's flights to connect and get the best rates, you have some kind of a sight that will do that for you?

It's the Dec 5 Galaxy TA, we were thinking of flying into Rome a couple days early to tour around their so I've been looking at Dec 2 departures. Been to Ireland a couple times so no need to spend any time there this trip, rather check out Rome. The best rate I found (throught one of the online cheap ticket sites) was about $1750 for the two of us, all taxes in that's the AC to TO and then BA to Heathrow and Rome.

So how do you get the different airline's flights to connect and get the best rates, you have some kind of a sight that will do that for you?

Here you go:

AC8902

Halifax, Halifax Int'l (YHZ)

New York, La Guardia (LGA)

Tue Dec-02 11:45 12:40

1hr55

$341.47

Take a taxi to JFK-about $45.00 for the two of you. This will be even easier than trying to fly into JFK and changing terminals. And the flight time is even better. The other flight arrives JFK at 9:45AM-long wait until the AerLingus flight leaves.

Then:

Aer Lingus Aer Lingus Flight EI 104 on an Airbus A330 (jet) in coach class

(meal, movie)

Departs New York, NY (JFK) Tue, Dec 2 5:40p 6 hrs 35 min

Arrives Dublin, Ireland (DUB) Wed, Dec 3 5:15a

Aer Lingus Aer Lingus Flight EI 402 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Dublin, Ireland (DUB) Wed, Dec 3 7:00a 3 hrs 10 min

Arrives Rome, Italy (FCO) 11:10a

$370.34pp

Total price-$711.81pp + about 27.50pp for the taxi to JFK.

The Delta flight gets into JFK too late to connect with the AerLingus flight. And AerLingus "cheap" flights are sold out for Dec. 2. Available for Dec. 3, arriving the 4th in Rome.

All bookable NOW-I just did a test booking and it flew right through on both the AC and AerLingus websites.

Good luck. Let me know if you need further help.

"Why anyone would book cruise air, even custom air without UPCHARGE, is beyond me??? There are just too many ways at the same price or even less to get to a cruise-yes, even one way TA's-to take the chance with cruise air."

What is an UPCHARGE?

"Why anyone would book cruise air, even custom air without UPCHARGE, is beyond me??? There are just too many ways at the same price or even less to get to a cruise-yes, even one way TA's-to take the chance with cruise air."

What is an UPCHARGE?

Per my example above-IF you happen to pick one of the flights the cruise line has on contract, it will be the same price as cruise air. IF you want a flight not on the contract, the cruise line MAY or MAY NOT be able to accommodate. IF they are able,there is usually an upcharge over the contracted flights. The cruise line is actually BUYING a ticket specifically for you. Sometimes it is a SIGNIFICANT upcharge.

On the cruise air board, the upcharge flying two days early was $2300 for two ($700 normal cruise air price). We all pitched in and found flights for less than $900.00pp TWO DAYS early. NO mystery flights, no weird connections and you have full protection from the airlines in case of problems. Those things are not available with normal cruise air tickets, even custom air tickets WITH NO UPCHARGE. Those tickets are consolidator/bulk tickets with MANY restrictions.

Here you go:

AC8902

Halifax, Halifax Int'l (YHZ)

New York, La Guardia (LGA)

Tue Dec-02 11:45 12:40

1hr55

$341.47

Take a taxi to JFK-about $45.00 for the two of you. This will be even easier than trying to fly into JFK and changing terminals. And the flight time is even better. The other flight arrives JFK at 9:45AM-long wait until the AerLingus flight leaves.

Then:

Aer Lingus Aer Lingus Flight EI 104 on an Airbus A330 (jet) in coach class

(meal, movie)

Departs New York, NY (JFK) Tue, Dec 2 5:40p 6 hrs 35 min

Arrives Dublin, Ireland (DUB) Wed, Dec 3 5:15a

Aer Lingus Aer Lingus Flight EI 402 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Dublin, Ireland (DUB) Wed, Dec 3 7:00a 3 hrs 10 min

Arrives Rome, Italy (FCO) 11:10a

$370.34pp

Total price-$711.81pp + about 27.50pp for the taxi to JFK.

The Delta flight gets into JFK too late to connect with the AerLingus flight. And AerLingus "cheap" flights are sold out for Dec. 2. Available for Dec. 3, arriving the 4th in Rome.

All bookable NOW-I just did a test booking and it flew right through on both the AC and AerLingus websites.

Good luck. Let me know if you need further help.

Thanks for the info, you better be careful, you might find yourself spending all your time finding flights for people here :p

Per my example above-IF you happen to pick one of the flights the cruise line has on contract, it will be the same price as cruise air. IF you want a flight not on the contract, the cruise line MAY or MAY NOT be able to accommodate. IF they are able,there is usually an upcharge over the contracted flights. The cruise line is actually BUYING a ticket specifically for you. Sometimes it is a SIGNIFICANT upcharge.

On the cruise air board, the upcharge flying two days early was $2300 for two ($700 normal cruise air price). We all pitched in and found flights for less than $900.00pp TWO DAYS early. NO mystery flights, no weird connections and you have full protection from the airlines in case of problems. Those things are not available with normal cruise air tickets, even custom air tickets WITH NO UPCHARGE. Those tickets are consolidator/bulk tickets with MANY restrictions.

This is what I KNOW. I only get cruise air for Transatlantics. I have been on 3. I have used CUSTOM AIR each time to go early; stay after the cruise and pick a flight that I want.

I have gotten Air Canada each time. I have left on the day I wanted to and returned on the day I wanted to. Celebrity cruise air was CHEAPER than a straight return flight to my destination....Barcelona.

p.s. I was not charged any extra.

You got some of the initial contract allocation. However, you have posted that there are no seats out of Montreal for you. So you will either wait until someone cancels and you get their seats or book custom air where there will most likely be an upcharge. From your posts, it appears the initial contract tickets are spoken for.

ooh, greatam, can you please help me too? I'm also on the Galaxy Dec 5 and we had wanted to leave on Dec 2 to spend a few days in Rome.

Everyone tells me not to take cruise air but I haven't even been able to come close pricewise. Celebrity was charging $700 plus taxes from YYZ to Rome. It's a promo, their regular fare is $989.

If you can help I'd be eternally grateful, because to leave on the date we wish (there are no deviations with this promo) we have to book hotel through Celebrity too at a ridiculous rate, but it's still cheaper than the non-promo air since the transfers are included.

ooh, greatam, can you please help me too? I'm also on the Galaxy Dec 5 and we had wanted to leave on Dec 2 to spend a few days in Rome.

Everyone tells me not to take cruise air but I haven't even been able to come close pricewise. Celebrity was charging $700 plus taxes from YYZ to Rome. It's a promo, their regular fare is $989.

If you can help I'd be eternally grateful, because to leave on the date we wish (there are no deviations with this promo) we have to book hotel through Celebrity too at a ridiculous rate, but it's still cheaper than the non-promo air since the transfers are included.

Book the same AerLingus flight on Dec. 2 as I previously proposed out of JFK-$370.34 yesterday. Then find the best way to JFK or LGA. Plenty of flights. The cheapest is Continental 572, leaving at 9:29, arriving NEWARK at 11:06. $211.00pp one way. You will have to take a car service (VERY easy to book-about $90.00) to get to JFK. But you have plenty of time if you made transfer arrangements in advance. Other flights into JFK and LGA-about $330.00

The Boston AerLingus cheap flights are sold out for Dec. 2 and 3rd, so Boston is not an option unless you want to fly Dec. 4.

Depending on the airline you fly into NYC, it really may be easier to cab it from LaGuardia to JFK than transfer terminals. Land at LaGuardia, grab your luggage, get in a cab and be let off at the front door of the terminal you need. I have done it quite a few times. I fly into NYC monthly for business. IF I fly from my Missouri office, the flights go into LGA. In the winter, I fly to South America 4 times. Those flights leave from JFK. So I must transfer airports. It is VERY easy.

With two tickets, you MAY have to recheck luggage depending on the airline you fly from Canada. This of course means you are flying into JFK, NOT LGA. Some have agreements with AerLingus (the Big 6 legacies). Discount airlines-most do not.

Just allow AT LEAST 4 hours between the arrival of your flight to NYC and your 5:40PM flight to Ireland. More time is always better. AerLingus is a nice airline-better than most of the US carriers. The Dublin airport is very small, signage is in English and people are friendly. You can stopover in Ireland at no charge if you want.

One thing neither one of you mentioned-how do you get home from the end of the cruise???? Figuring 14 day cruise, your returns are bumping heavily into Xmas traffic and high air prices. You will have to do a lot of juggling to overcome the Xmas air fares.

If you need further help, please post.

I will have to look into that.

Going home for us didn't seem to be a problem. I looked on Kayak and there were flights for around $200ish one way.

Although I think this may add up to the $700 that Celebrity wants. Maybe their price isn't that bad after all, except for the hotel :P

I will have to look into that.

Going home for us didn't seem to be a problem. I looked on Kayak and there were flights for around $200ish one way.

Although I think this may add up to the $700 that Celebrity wants. Maybe their price isn't that bad after all, except for the hotel :P

Have you checked what the total price is??? Canadian air taxes are about 1/2 more than US air taxes. My posted prices were total prices.

$700 + taxes is not a bad price. But you have to pay for the outrageous hotel. AND the real biggie-you have absolutely NO protection if there is a glitch in your air-misconnect, cancelation, delay, etc. Your cruise air ticket can ONLY be used on the ORIGINATING carrier. It is NO GOOD on another carrier. So if you are flying AirCanada, and their other flights are full or non existent, you have to wait for space available seating. With planes flying full, you may wait for a day.

AerLingus is partners with AA, BA, Cathay and Qantas (all OneWorld carriers). They all have a lot of flights to Europe (except Qantas).

I just did a cursory search close to your dates, using Toronto to LGA, JFK to Rome, FLL to Toronto. Total price-$912.38. Should be a money saver to you, you will know your flights in advance, have complete control over the situation and you have complete airline protection. Let me know what you do. Enjoy!!!

Archived