Just back from Med cruise on Splendour

Although we had a fabulous trip (three days in Venice precruise, and then a train to Florence for five days postcruise), and we loved the ports, our group of five was surprised at how "bare bones" RCI felt. We had known lobster night was no longer a part of the cruise, but the beautiful parade of the baked Alaska now became the"Parade of the Waving Napkins) as baked Alaska had now also been cut out. Even in a mini suite, there were no amenities such as lotion or robes. The entertainment was really substandard. In fairness I do want to say that the staff was as nice as could be without exception, and the coffee was excellent. The food was good enough, (I am not that fussy of an eater) though nothing special. I am curious if this is different on the newer RCI ships, or whether others have felt the same way our diverse group of five all felt.

Would love to hear more about your port experiences. Did you take the ships shore excursions, or expore the ports on your own? DH and I will be on the Spendour on Nov. 1. What was your experience getting to the ship from your hotel in Vencie? We will be in Venice two days prior to embarkation. Was debarkation quick? We will be training to Milan after the cruise.

We were on the Serenade through the Panama Canal last October. We too had the parade of waving napkins. However, the service and food was great (specialty restaurants were fabulous). The staff onboard were so nice and accomodating. The entertainment on the Serenade was so-so. We went to two shows during the entire 14 days. The Serenade felt more open and of course was more spacious than the Majesty (we had sailed on her several years ago). The cruising experience has been changing as the cruise lines try to be more profitable (we get less or pay more for the same experience).

The reviews on the Splendour have not been too great. Your experience is very encouraging. Thanks for reporting back.

As far as getting from the hotel to the cruiseport, for us it was easy. We were not in Venice proper, so a land taxi was possible. We were at the Crowne Plaza D'Altino, and the cab was not very inexpensive. By the way, if you are interested in that hotel (which is next to the train station, and a 30 minute ride), they do pick you up at the airport as a complimentary service.

Disembarkation was about the quickest I have ever expernced. We took a cab to the train station (Maestro or something like that is the one you go to to go to other cities), and we were there before 9:00 AM as I recall.

the intinerary seems to vary every other week. We were on the one that did Dubrovnik, Kusadasi, Santorini and Corfu. The only ship tour we took was Ephesus, and I would strongly advise a private tour instead. There were three ships in port, and it was so crowded at Ephesus that we could hardly follow our guide (who seemed to often go ahead of the group not caring). In Santorini we hired a cab for 100 euros for 2 hours to take us around, and that worked for us. Corfu is so easy to do on your own, and we really loved doing that. Ditto for Dubrovink.

Again, the staff was very good, but the food was mediocre; the entertainment was very poor quality; and we are not sure we will cruise RCI again.

Hope this information helps you.

Although we had a fabulous trip (three days in Venice precruise, and then a train to Florence for five days postcruise), and we loved the ports, our group of five was surprised at how "bare bones" RCI felt. We had known lobster night was no longer a part of the cruise, but the beautiful parade of the baked Alaska now became the"Parade of the Waving Napkins) as baked Alaska had now also been cut out. Even in a mini suite, there were no amenities such as lotion or robes. The entertainment was really substandard. In fairness I do want to say that the staff was as nice as could be without exception, and the coffee was excellent. The food was good enough, (I am not that fussy of an eater) though nothing special. I am curious if this is different on the newer RCI ships, or whether others have felt the same way our diverse group of five all felt.

The baked Alaska Parade is gone for many many years now and there won´t be any flamable presentations in the Dining Room anymore like the Baked Alaska Parade or flamed Cherry Jubilee prepared at the table. THis has to do with safety and insurance regulations after an accident happening.

A Junior Suite - I assume that´s what you mean by MiniSuite - is not a real Suite on RCCL and while it´s a very nice room and I prefer it it´s not coming with any Suite amenities like the GS and up.

I´m sorry some parts of the cruise didn´t live up to your expectations.

Archived