Vatican tickets online?

Hey ,

I will be visiting Rome with my husband and was looking to pre buy the vatican tickets , to avoid wasting time in lines. Does anyone know of a site where i can buy these tickets for a reasonable price. I do not want a guided tour. Thanks !!;)

You can book a tour directly with the Vatican or through third party agencies, but I'm not aware of being able to just buy entry tickets anywhere. Most of the third party agencies do not provide any real time advantage for the lines, there are a few exceptions of course and timing is everything. Your best bet is to follow other guidelines and try to go Wed. mornings during the papal audience, if its happening that day, or to go around 1:00-1:30 when others have decided to take a lunch break or even later in the afternoon.

Sheesh, more expensive than booking a tour! Well, if you have more money than time and don't want to try the afternoon thing at least there is an option. If you do get your tickets from one of these, please let us know how it works out for you.

Sheesh, more expensive than booking a tour! Well, if you have more money than time and don't want to try the afternoon thing at least there is an option. If you do get your tickets from one of these, please let us know how it works out for you.

I agree with you, however..sometimes..just sometimes, it may be the best option.

If you're on a one day stopover on a cruise, can't afford to spend the time on a tour, can't afford to wait in line for 2-3 hours...can't risk the afternoon option because you need to get back....you've paid 1000's for your cruise and may never have the opportunity to return, then I'd go for it.

I'm having a pre-cruise stay so will probably try the late afternoon option & hope for the best.

Most tours don't include the V gardens or underneath.

:) Hey ,

I bought my tickets for the Colosseum on this site . It gives u a good price and ticket for 2 consecutive days , no time restriction, and no lines.

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

For the vatican , i found this site to be the best , slighty expensive , but i'm not waiting 3 hours in the sun to get in.

http://www.viator.com/Rome/d511/vatican-tours?pref=202&aid=yuk1235

I'm doing a 7 day greek isles cruise in july;), but the rest - switzerland , paris , france , italy im using eurail.

Will let you'll know how these prebooked tickets worked out - worth it or not!

We got to the Vatican right about 2 pm and the lines were very short. I tried to find just tickets (no tour) online before our cruise too, but no luck

what time of year were you there? we're aiming at getting there around 2pm and i'm exploring my options...

You can book a guided tour directly from the Vatican for a lot cheaper than some of those other sights, although their tours limit the sights covered. Go to http://www.vatican.va choose English (or language of choice) then Info, then Vatican Museums, then Info museums, then Visitor Services, then Guided tours. Perhaps one of these will work for you. You must however have access to a fax machine as that is how you must request a reservation. They will also fax you confirmation, but only if you are successful in getting your chosen time and date. If you are not successful, you get no response. That part can be quite frustrating since you don't know how much time to allow them to answer back.

The Vatican has also increased their hours and now don't close until 1800, however they close the entrance at 1600.

If you don't own the Rick Steves' book on Rome, you should at least go to a book store and read his chapter on the Vatican. He gives some great tips on seeing a lot for less, in terms of time and money. You can also visit his web sight and he has a lot of info including his own audio tours of Saint Peter's and the Vatican, including the Sistine Chapel,touching mainly on the major highlights. You can download them for free to your iPod and take them with as your own private audio guide instead of renting from the church. (this is an option if you don't want to get a tour guide.

You must however have access to a fax machine as that is how you must request a reservation.

Reservations for Vatican tours can be made by email now (a recent change) ... scroll down to the bottom of this page for the email address: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

Although it say's that reservations must be made by fax, the email address indicates that it is for individual bookings and several people have posted that they've been successful with making reservations this way.

Here you go

http://www.rome-museum.com

We used that one for Vatican, Accademia in Florence and Gallerie Borghese. Very happy with service. If your request is for more than 30 days in the future for the Vatican then you will probably get a response and then a confirmation at the 30 days. For the unguided tour you meet across the street from the entry and get taken in at the appointed time, given a quick briefing and then you are off on your tour with no guide. Also check the site to see if the times suit you, unfortunately the 8:15 booking we made last year seems to have been removed. Also if you want to go from the Sistine Chapel through to St Peters then do not get an audio guide as you have to return to the museum entry to hand it back. Suggest a good guide be purchased before you go so you can do your research and planning as there is so much to see.

Also the advice from Susan-M is worthwhile as she is talking from experience so that will give you an alternative which is a little cheaper I think.

Enjoy your visit.

David

Taking the tour via the Vatican website will allow you to bypass the lines; outside tour companies do not. Of course there is the after hours tour which costs a lot.

Once inside the Vatican, you can slip away from the tour group as soon as you are inside the museum. However, you will have a headset for the audio portion; just return it to the place you received it - no problem.

Depends when you go to Rome. We were there in Nov. & the guards cut the line off at the spot they thought could get everyone inside by 1pm. All of those behind the guards, who had waited for a long time, were sent away. That's because the Vatican museums close earlier in Nov. & some other months.

Archived