That Tunnel Thingy and Mobility

Taffygirl

Hello all,

I will be taking my parents on their first cruise next week and I am a bit concerned about the walk through the tunnel? onto the ship.

Mum & Dad have slight heart problems and allthough they are fine walking on flat ground,they do get a bit out of breath walking uphill or anything with a slope.

I seem to remember from last year that it was quite a walk from the check-in onto the ship.What do other posters think and is there an alternative way onboard for people with mobility issue's.

Regards.

TG

I can't speak with authority for P&O, but most cruise lines that I have sailed with will provide a wheelchair and assistance for those with a need.

I have limited mobility also, and use wheelchair assistance in airports and on our last cruise, Miami to Barcelona Mar 08, requested (and received) wheelchair assistance at Port of Embarkation and at Port of Disembarkation.

I manage to get around the ship fine without assistance, and take only "low impact" shore excursions.

Check with the Passenger Service of the cruise line, and good luck.

Hi Taffygirl

While we were waiting to board in April we watched wheelchair users being lined up separately. They were then taken on board I assume via a lift to the tunnel. When we disembarked they were wheeled through the tunnel and down on the lift. Do not worry Mum and Dad will not have to walk the tunnel.

regards

cabinboy

Hi,

thank you for your reply's.

Getting a wheelchair for mum & dad might be a good idea,although knowing them as I do they will most likely say that they will walk on--but--I will use my position as eldest daughter (lol) and make sure they are wheeled on.Do I e-mail p&o or telephone.

Thanks again.

Taffygirl

Just make sure that you inform P&O of the requirement that way you will be assured that wheelchairs are available for both embarkation and debarkation.

Just tell you TA to phone and arrange if you booked through a travel agent or send P&O and E Mail to Customer Relations.

Hi Taffygirl,

You do not even have to get onto the list, although it is best to do so. There are helpers at the door to check in waiting for passengers in need of assistance.

All the helpers are volunteers and do a wonderful job. They look after you so well that it enhances your cruise experience.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hello Dai,

above message is most reassuring.

I have e-mailed P&O--but a bit worried incase I can't get hold of them in time,so to have helpers at the terminal is good news for us.

As predicted father made a bit of a fuss about the wheelchair--says he would rather walk the gangplank with the rest of us!!--oh dear.

Regards.

Taffygirl

Hello Dai,

above message is most reassuring.

I have e-mailed P&O--but a bit worried incase I can't get hold of them in time,so to have helpers at the terminal is good news for us.

As predicted father made a bit of a fuss about the wheelchair--says he would rather walk the gangplank with the rest of us!!--oh dear.

Regards.

Taffygirl

Remind him there is a special check in and you avoid the queues:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived