Azamara Motion Sickness

BalticPat22

With all of the large cruise ships sailing the oceans today such as the Freedom Class Of RCI, the QM2 of Cunard, and Vista Class of HAL, I was interested to finding out how the medium and smaller sized ships compared in motion sickness to the larger ships of the industry.

I already know that there is no comparison with regards to motion sickness of a 30,000 ton vessel compared to a 150,000 ton vessel, but my main question is the degree of motion sickness that one can experience. Azamara Cruises have two vessels, each around 30,200 tons and I wondered if anyone who sailed on them or are preparing to sail on them have an answer to how bad the sea sickness is. Thanks. :)

We've been on Pacific Princess, Regatta (twice), and Nautica once, with another booked. They are all sisters to the Azamara ships.

We found the ride and sea worthiness to be fine. We did have fair seas, which of course helps.

We crossed the Tasman Sea on Pacific Princess, and the Tasman does have a reputation for roughness. We crossed the Atlantic on Regatta this past March, Miami to Barcelona.

Ride is more a function of sea state, wave frequency, and "fineness of hull"

(length/breadth/draft) than it is of size. We had a far rougher ride on Golden Princess (115,000GRT) Venice to New York City than we did on the R-class ships.

I've only been seasick once, on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner, trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon in the China Sea, Nov 86. That also was very rough.

BalticPat22 -

We have crossed the Atlantic three times in an R-ship, Oceania Regatta twice and Azamara Quest once, all three cruises on Deck 6 way aft, where the motion allegedly is more pronounced than mid-ships. We have never experienced any sea sickness, including last November when we had sustained winds of 65-75 mph and seas of 30-35 feet, according to the Captain's noon announcement. The ship was slowed down from abt 19kn to 11-12 kn, resulting in a rather smooth ride up and down those waves. Actually, it was enjoyable. No violent bucking or jerking. The spray came all the way up to Horizons on deck 10. The R-ships seem to have excellent sea keeping abilities. Full disclosure: They are our favorite ships.

Hi Baltic Pat !

We were on the first 2 sailings of Quest. On the way back to Miami, we hit a pretty bad storm, and had to be diverted to Tampa. We expected the worst, but we thought the ship handled quite well. We hope to sail on Journey again next year.

Having been on all sized ships in all types of seas, I can tell you that I prefer a small ship in rough waters over a large one. They are closer to the water and there seems to be (and actually it is a fact) much less sway that I find very uncomfortable.

If the seas get very rough, it is much easier for smaller ships to seek refuge in inlets or protected areas.

We have never experienced sea sickness on any of the R ships, which we have sailed three times, with Renaissance and then Oceania. We have been on decks 6 and 8 on those ships. We have, however, experienced sea sickness on the Silverseas Silver Whisper, which is about the same size as the R ships - go figure! I don't know whether it has been just luck, or if the R ships are more stable than other ships of equal size.

Archived