computer question

cruisepal48

Hi

I'm trying to cut down on luggage and hauling around so much stuff. I usually bring my laptop but I thought I might use their computers. Have any of you used their computers and if so, how are they. Is the price the same using theirs vs your own. The only reason to bring mine would be to download photos but I have a large memory card and could bring extra. What is your thoughts, Thanks

One nice thing about having your own laptop, is you can compose your emails off-line. Saves you on the time you spend. I always feel so rushed when I am on the clock. I like being able to take my time with writing and then pop online to send. But I hear you on the lugging around the laptop. It is heavy and does take up some real estate. Hope this helps with your decision.;)

I have not cruised, but have no intention of bringing a laptop. As a newbie, I just can't imagine lugging my suitcases, cameras, binoculars, etc and still having to be concerned with keeping track of a laptop. For me, vacation is a vacation from technology. I want as little as possible. I bought extra memory cards for my camera and that will have to do. A friend of ours said the ship he was on had a service where they would take your memory card and put the photos on disc. If I end up going through too many memory cards, I will consider that if the service is offered. Each night I plan on using the TV to look at my photos and delete the ones I don't want.

I think whether or not you bring a laptop is a very personal decision. WHen I read the packing lists some people have posted, I would need another suitcase just for all that stuff. Clothes would go in another. We are really trying hard to pack in one suitcase and a backpack.

It really depends on how much you think you will be using a computer. If you are sailing on one of the Vistas you have wifi all over the place so you might be tempted to lug your laptop. I have to connect every day for work, and I love being able to do it in bed in my cabin, now that all the Vistas have reliable WiFi in the rooms. After all, I AM on vacation! :D And when I remember to, I do what has been mentioned - compose email offline and then go back on to send, although my work isn't always condusive to this, but never mind. That said, if you just want to send an email back home now and then or check up on kids/work a couple of times during the cruise, the computers on the ship should be fine. On the four HAL ships I have experienced (all the Vistas) the internet cafes/rooms are very comfortable and pleasant and they usually have a nice staff member there to help with any problems. They also have printing services and can give advice on computer related issues.

Each night I plan on using the TV to look at my photos and delete the ones I don't want. .

vbmom, How do you connect your camera to your TV to check the pictures? I only have a usb to connect to my PC. I can view on my camera and delete.

Thanks

There is a growing genre of basic notebooks that are about the size of a portable DVD player and weigh 3-4 pounds. They have 7" to 11" screens, WiFi, USB ports, but don't have a DVD drive and are not "horsepower" machines. The most popular models right now are the Asus eeePC and the HP Mini Note; cost is $400-$600. Both models use a processor made by Via (slow) but should have Intel processors soon (faster and probably better battery life).

I'm seriously considering buying one for traveling. It might be a good way to be connected and back up your photos without lugging around a 10 pound monster.

vbmom, How do you connect your camera to your TV to check the pictures? I only have a usb to connect to my PC. I can view on my camera and delete.

Cruisepal,

Vbmom must have a camera like mine which came with USB and AV connectors. I haven't used it very often, but it is handy when you don't have a computer but do have a TV, you'd like to show several people some photos, or you'd just like to examine the photos in a larger format. It helps to decide which photos to delete if two shots are similar and the lcd screen on your camera is tiny, or you can't find the glasses you need to SEE that little screen ;)

Alice

Thanks you guys for your replies. I am on a vista class ship the Westerdam. I really like the idea of using my laptop in my stateroom. Since I don't have AV capabilities with my camera I can review my pictures on my laptop and download also. My laptop in not that heavy..

I like to take my laptop, not only for the convenience of not having to wait for a computer, but also because the keyboards of public computers harbour all sorts of nasty germs. The cost of connecting is the same and I really don't mind slinging it over my shoulder and carrying it aboard.

I don't take my computer -- but I have a picture porter Elite (3.5 viewer) which I down load ny pictures into every day (it also can be a back up for your computer files) and you have a easy connection to a TV and view pictures in a side show & so on -- notice wt & size very easy to use and carry with you. Dimensions 5.3" (L) x 3.1" (W) x 1.1" (H) Weight 11 oz. (with hard drive and battery) :cool:

http://www.digitalfoci.com/digitalfoci.html

I will be taking our lap top for the first time on our round South America cruise only so the DW can play card games on the 68 day cruise.

Ray

I need to keep up with my emails, for work mostly, so I'm online at least 2-3 times a day. Generally, I leave my laptop at home for shorter cruises like a week, but take it for the longer ones, especially if I'm going to be in a hotel for a few days before or after. I hate having one more thing to carry, plus have to worry about it getting stolen. But, at least I do have a small laptop that only weighs 4 lbs, so that helps.

I like to take my laptop, not only for the convenience of not having to wait for a computer, but also because the keyboards of public computers harbour all sorts of nasty germs.

Typically, the internet cafes have antibacterial wash in them. I use it both before and after using the computers, then also wash my hands as soon as I leave. But, the first thing I always do when I get back to my cabin is wash my hands, anyway.

I continue to go back and forth. I'll take it, no I'll leave it at home. I don't need it for work and I'll have my cell phone to keep in touch. I could use the ship computers.

The only problem is DH uses the camera and will take 10 pictures of one thing and he'll take over 500 pictures on a short trip and fill up a gig card.

Thanks you guys

I have a low end Toshiba notebook for travel. It weighs about 4 lbs, with a 14 inch screen, and is running Vista (have I mentioned I hate Vista?). The wireless connection has worked very well from the cabin on Ryndam and I also use it for phone service at sea if necessary through Yahoo Messenger Voice, which is very cheap. In addition to being able to compose messages offline, having the computer in the cabin entertains me while I wait for my wife to dress for dinner.

Gary

I am going to try and go without the laptop this trip. With the price of SD cards coming down so much I now have well over 8GB. My concern is that I will have all of those photos on a single card. Very unlikely to fail I know...but what if.

My plan is to copy each days photos to an additonal card.

My question is does anyone know if the onboard PC's on the Oosterdam have/allow USB type devices to be connected?

I have a low end Toshiba notebook for travel. It weighs about 4 lbs, with a 14 inch screen, and is running Vista (have I mentioned I hate Vista?). Gary

I was reading a review of a notebook that offers a "downgrade" to XP. The review recommended "upgrading" by getting the "downgrade". :D

I bought extra memory cards for my camera and that will have to do. A friend of ours said the ship he was on had a service where they would take your memory card and put the photos on disc. If I end up going through too many memory cards, I will consider that if the service is offered.
It costs $15 to put pix on a CD. Better to spend that money on more memory cards that can be reused many times.

Each night I plan on using the TV to look at my photos and delete the ones I don't want.
Good luck on that plan! The only input jacks anywhere are on the back of the DVD player, and are hard to get to. I haven't been able to view pics on the TV.

They offer you their own email addy, ...
If use the CruisEmail address that they offer it will cost you $3.95 PER EMAIL, PLUS the time charge! :eek: :eek:

I am going to try and go without the laptop this trip. With the price of SD cards coming down so much I now have well over 8GB. My concern is that I will have all of those photos on a single card. Very unlikely to fail I know...but what if.

My plan is to copy each days photos to an additonal card.

Another possibility is losing the camera, or having it stolen. I did lose my camera once on a ship for a few hours, and I was more sick about the pictures lost than the camera itself. Since then, I always bring a laptop, and back up my pics to a CD every night, AND I change memory cards every day.

Another possibility is losing the camera, or having it stolen. I did lose my camera once on a ship for a few hours, and I was more sick about the pictures lost than the camera itself. Since then, I always bring a laptop, and back up my pics to a CD every night, AND I change memory cards every day.

Suggestion- Either take a photo or create a .jpg on your computer with your contact info. Make it picture #1 on each of your memory cards and "lock" it so it doesn't get erased. If you lose your card or the whole camera, the finder will see the info.

Archived