Upgrades???

momrek06

To all seasoned travelers a question.....HOW DO YOU GET UPGRADES?? :confused:

DS & DF are cruising this week. NCL Spirit NYC to the Bahamas. They board on Sunday. Due to cost they selected a inside cabin, which I believe has no windows. How would they ask or request an upgrade if at all possible?

TIA :D

Cruise lines rarely give free upgrades anymore. Ships are sailing full, so there's usually no open cabins to upgrade to. They can request an Upsell, where you pay the difference between the cabin you purchased the the one you want. Sometimes, they do upsells for a lower price, but not all the time. I always tell people, book the cabin you're going to be happy with and not hope for an upgrade. Another way to get upgraded is to book a guarantee. With that, they choose a cabin category rather than a specific cabin. But normally, IF you get an upgrade on a guarantee, you're not going to get a balcony if you book an outside. What normally happens is, if you book an inside category, you'll still get an inside, but in a better location.

Cruise lines rarely give free upgrades anymore. Ships are sailing full, so there's usually no open cabins to upgrade to. They can request an Upsell, where you pay the difference between the cabin you purchased the the one you want. Sometimes, they do upsells for a lower price, but not all the time. I always tell people, book the cabin you're going to be happy with and not hope for an upgrade. Another way to get upgraded is to book a guarantee. With that, they choose a cabin category rather than a specific cabin. But normally, IF you get an upgrade on a guarantee, you're not going to get a balcony if you book an outside. What normally happens is, if you book an inside category, you'll still get an inside, but in a better location.

Thanks, kitty9, for your post!!! :D

Insides have no windows.

Generally you can't request an Up-sell-higher cabin category at a smaller price. You can see about an Ungraded-paying the difference between the cabin you have and the next higher cabin category. People have reported the price difference can default to the difference that existed when your cabin was booked. i.e the difference between an inside and an ocean view was $250pp when you booked, but is only $100 now. If it's before final payment, it's easier to take advantage of the lower price. After final payments, all bets are off.

Since sailing is so soon, they COULD see if there is any higher cabins available, once they board. I'm not aware of any deals being had by upgrading once boarded though.

Archived