Decisions Decisions Decisions

Brenda33

Ok, I am trying to decide between Magan's Bay and Emerald Beach. We are sailing on RCCL, so I believe that means we dock in Charlotte Amalie?????? Which one is closer to the port? How long does it take? We are a family of 3, the little guy will be 6. What do you think would be best?....pros and cons of each. Also, I don't know if it matters, but we are not docking until 1 p.m. Thanks for any info anyone has! Have a wonderful weekend all.

Royal Caribbean ships dock at the Havensight dock, which is about 1 1/2 miles from downtown Charlotte Amalie. Emerald Beach is closer to the Crown Bay dock, and is also closer to town than Magens.

However, it may be more difficult to readily get a taxi to Emerald, because it's only popular (and even then it's not the most popular) when ships dock at Crown Bay. Since most "taxis" carry 20+ people and try to fill up before leaving the dock, not too many are willing to go to Emerald.

Magen's has more pulic facilities since you have to pay a small fee to enter. There are two hotels at Emerald, and their restrooms are reserved for hotel guests.

You should have a backup plan in case you are there on a windy day and the surf is up. I would recommend Secret Harbor Resort - there were no waves at all. The cruise ship tour to Magen's Bay was rerouted here because the surf was too high on the other side of the island.

Secret Harbor is on the east end of the island near Red Hook. You can just take one of the open air taxis at the cruise dock. The resort desk will call for a return taxi. We just walked in and down to the beach. You can rent beach chairs and an umbrella and there was a restaurant and restrooms. The snorkeling is supposed to be good, but I did not try it.

This would be a very comfortable beach with small children.

Secret Harbor is a great place for kids, because it's small and it's mostly their hotel guests.

But, the weather is seldom that windy. We had a very unusual windy spell - hadn't seen winds like that in approx 20 years according to weather reports, so hopefully it won't happen again. The taxi drivers would be your best source of information if circumstances are unusual.

OK, so Emerald Beach is closer to Havensight than Magan's? How long does it take to get to each?

This Secret Harbor.....is there an entry fee? Also, weird question, but I don't want a beach with alot of fish.....I don't really like swimming with them.....I prefer NOT to see any. So this plays a part in my decision. Any insight on the whole fishy situation would be really really helpful!! Thanks so much!!!

Girl...I had to look you up to make sure you were okay!! We were wondering what happened to ya back on your CDF thread - stop in and say hi!! :D

As far as Magen's Bay, personally I wasn't impressed. We probably would not go there again. Emerald Beach (Lindberg Bay) does look nice - I would probably pick that one if it were me. Have you checked out the VI beach site? Here is a link - lots of good info.

http://www.**********/stthomas/beaches_stt/index.php

OK, so Emerald Beach is closer to Havensight than Magan's? How long does it take to get to each?

This Secret Harbor.....is there an entry fee? Also, weird question, but I don't want a beach with alot of fish.....I don't really like swimming with them.....I prefer NOT to see any. So this plays a part in my decision. Any insight on the whole fishy situation would be really really helpful!! Thanks so much!!!

There's no entry fee for Secret Harbour. Only Magen's charges an entry fee.

Approximate travel times from Havensight:

• To Secret Harbour: about 20 minutes
  • To Magen's: about 20-25 minutes
  • To Emerald: about 15 minutes

Actually, you can encounter fish at any beach. ;) Secret Harbour is known for its snorkeling, so the odds of encountering a few fish there are greater than at Emerald or Magen's, which are not good snorkeling beaches.

Both Magen's and Emerald are also really nice for young kids.

We also have one in our group who does not like to see fish. I would rather see what's there than not know........We have been to Sapphire Beach and Megan's Bay and at both beaches the water was crystal clear. In clear water you can see fish, but we found if you stick you hand out towards them they swim away.

Thank you everyone for all the info. Linda, the times were exactly what I wanted!!! Thank you!!

Hi Happy.....why can't I figure out what to type into the spot to get the right web site? LOL What didn't you like about Magan's?

Hi Happy.....why can't I figure out what to type into the spot to get the right web site? LOL What didn't you like about Magan's?

For some reason, Cruise Critic *****'s out the URL for the Virgin Islands Now web site. It's a great resource of information for getting around the US Virgin Islands. You can google Virgin Islands Now to get to the site, or just enter v i n o w . c o m (leave out the spaces) in your browser's address bar to get to the site.

Thanks richtersl - I had not even noticed that it did that!!

Brenda - when we went it just did not seem that pretty a beach...very unspectacular. Not clear water at all (compared to some other beaches we have visited) - my son had no success in snorkeling and he was not happy about that. The sand was dirty with a considerable amount of litter (and cigarette butts!!), and it was $4 each to enter. It just did not do anything for me. :cool:

Happy....well I certainly would NOT like a dirty beach!! I bet it was that way because it is such a popular beach and there are just so many people around at one time. I love the fact that the snorkeling sucked though!! LOL I guess I'll try Emerald Beach Resort....plus its a few minutes closer...so that always works since we dock so late in the day.

Brenda,

Forgot to mention that Emerald is right next to the airport. It's close enough that you'll be able to see planes taking off and landing. If noise is going to be an issue, then you may want to consider a different beach. But most folks who've gone there have written nothing but great reports back from Emerald, particularly those with kids the same age as your son. :)

Happy....well I certainly would NOT like a dirty beach!! I bet it was that way because it is such a popular beach and there are just so many people around at one time. I love the fact that the snorkeling sucked though!! LOL I guess I'll try Emerald Beach Resort....plus its a few minutes closer...so that always works since we dock so late in the day.

Yes I think it is probably a beach best viewed from above - like in a helicopter. :D I think places like that with such a great reputation, sometimes attract TOO much attention and tourists, and the natural beauty is lost amongst the tinsel, so to speak.

As far as the fish thing though...you really should not worry about those little fellas...they scurry away very quickly when you are moving though the water. You'd be hard pressed to actually get close enough to touch one...they are just too fast. They don't like you any more than you like them! :p But we love snorkeling, in fact I'm certified for scuba, but my son isn't, at least not yet - it's in the plans though. Just something so calming about being down there watching that beautiful world. :)

If you want a truly stunning beach, you should try to get to Trunk Bay sometime...I've never been anywhere more breathtakingly beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were in St. Thomas two years ago and we had a great day at Emerald Beach. Its quiet except for the planes, we actually liked watching the planes take off and land.

There are two hotels there that have beach bars/restaurants. We rented a couple of chairs and positioned them in the shade of the trees. The water is clear and calm. Very relaxing, not crowded. No shirt no shoes no problem.

Happy cruising...;)

There's also a VI-sized (tiny) park at Emerald (all the way down on the right) with some picnic benches, some swings or something, and a tiny, tiny water park with water spouting up and down from various things. I see little kids (3 or 4?) running around having a great time, but it may be too tame for a 6 year old. Small fee ($1?) to enter.

Archived